1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Houston...we've got a problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by innov8v, Jun 29, 2005.

1. mrichman

mrichman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv\";p=\"104520)</div>
    I've spoken to one of the technical people at Huper Optik, Harry Raman in the past. He's pretty friendly and knowledgeable. Give him a call at 1-888-296-3456 x102 and inquire about ACHT to see if it is ceramic, metal or something else. ACHT may or may not be a new film (it could be in the SECH or DREI series). Fwiw, Huper has several films that are marketed in other countries, such as Klar in Singapore, that are ceramic and suitable for windshields due to a high VLT (e.g., Klar is 85% with a reasonable IR rejection). However, I can not find a dealer willing to obtain Klar. Anyone going to Singaore in the future?

Regards,
    Mike

2. innov8v

innov8v New Member

Sorry, mrichman, no trips planned to Singapore anytime soon, but glad to know there's someone else out there who can confirm that this ACHT stuff (whatever it's made of) actually exists (thanks, RadMarv). I was beginning to think I was on my own in a parallel universe (well, that part may be true anyway, but that's another story). Interesting how it's necessary to kind of dig to get much info/detail about these films. Just finding who installs in the L.A. area was a mini adventure. Not on Huper Optik's website, so I called their U.S. corporate office. Even they couldn't/wouldn't tell me. Had to go through their distributor first, who finally divulged the apparently top-secret information. Anyway, all's well that ends well, I guess, and the Huper film is doing its job and my GPS antenna continues to function once again. I'll report back if anything changes in that regard.

3. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

innov8v,

I've found a third post on tintdude.com forum referencing Huper Optik "ACHT". The poster is an UNREGISTERED poster so I can't tell if they are a dealer/installer or not or how correct the information is but here's a snippet.

Vkool ---> 2 layer silver ion film, seal it good, corrosion at the edges will begin

Huper Sech/Drei/Acht ---> single layer ion film, seal recommended, but not required.
    Huper Ceramic----> titanium nitride (Ti N) , inert, no edge seal.

If you carry Vkool or Huper, why carry both?
    Vkool, 5 year warranty, versus Huper lifetime warranty for Sech/Drei.
    Both are XIR films manufactured by Southwall.

I noticed that in the warranty statement they've left out ACHT. but have listed it with the Sech/Drei film and state they are an ion film.

I've gone over to the Southwall Technologies website and took a quick look.

WOW what I did find is that apparently Southwall Technologies is the manufacturer of Huper Optik and V-Kool films. I was wondering why so many dealer/installers carried both these films.

Apparently Southwall Technologies only makes the Ceramic, Sech and Drie Huper Optik films. They too do not even list the ACHT film. I wonder if it is a discontinued line?

Here's the links to Southwall Technologies.

Southwall Technologies

Southwall Technologies Huper Optik

Southwall Technologies Huper Optik Performance Tables

4. mrichman

mrichman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv\";p=\"104742)</div>
    I'd be concerned about Titanium Nitride unless that is proved to be safe with GPS/cell phone signals, or unless I could verify that the ceramic series has that too. Titanium sounds metallic to me.

Mike

5. c4

c4 Active Member

If what Marv posted is true, then the ACHT film is a metallic film, *not* a ceramic film.. This means that the film could indeed have caused some issue with GPS reception (or, it could as someone surmised, have been residual water from installation- which happens to be a good absorber of the GPS wavelength). The problem with metallic films is that even if it did not completely block the GPS signal, having your windows coated with a metallic coating may cause some severe multipath reflections. Recalibrating may also have fixed it, but the fact that it worked today may also simply be due to the satellites being in a more optimal configuration in the sky allowing the receiver to make sense of the signal despite the reflections and/or reduced signal strength.. Keep an eye on the reception and see if it goes out again..

Did you request and pay for a ceramic based Huper film or did you just ask for any old Huper Optik film? If you requested the ceramic film, it might be grounds for a partial refund or a re-application of the correct film..

As for titanium nitride, this is the coating that is put on cheap drill bits to make them last longer- the color varies depending on the thickness of the coating.. It is actually considered a ceramic even though it contains titanium (heck many common ceramic materials contain titanium's cheaper cousin aluminum)..

6. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

Directly from the HuperOptikusa website.

What Is Nano-ceramics?
    Ceramics are tough and stable materials. Due to their ability to withstand adverse conditions, they are used in space shuttles, integrated circuit component chips and even in industrial drill bits and cutting tools. The Huper Optik Ceramic coating is an extremely thin layer of the electrically conductive transition metal oxynitride, which has intrinsic solar selectivity originating from its unique molecular structure. Nano-ceramics are atomic-fine, equivalent to 0.000000001m, discrete optical coatings that are deposited through reactive plasma processes. They are therefore able to reject more heat and, being ceramic, Huper Optik Ceramic films are also more durable than any other window films.

Now that said, I don't find the composition for the FormulaOne Pinnacle ceramic series. Yet they state...

The advanced technology utilized in manufacturing the Pinnacle Series provides a proprietary non-metallized, non-conductive, ceramic technology film with maximum heat reduction, maximum ultraviolet rejection, excellent optical clarity and blockage of infrared rays.

Would be nice to find out more indepth information on both films.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The trick to being the all-knowing is having the repair manual and READING IT!

Ok, I didn't read it cover to cover, but glanced at alot of it. Having it in electronic form, separated in separate PDFs for each section, the diagnostic section separated into subtopic sections, I can do searches for the info I am looking for.

So, went to navigation section and audio section dealing with location and method of replacing components, and searched for GPS antenna removal.

8. mrichman

mrichman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv\";p=\"104939)</div>
    I spoke with Harry Raman at the technical branch of Huper Optik's Houston office today. ACHT is being tested in a few markets now. Harry said it is a metallic film and not recommended for windows close to the GPS antenna.

Mike

9. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrichman\";p=\"105553)</div>
    Mike,

I've posed the question regarding ACHT on the tintdude.com forum. So far looks like I've gotten speculation regarding this film. I think most agree it's a metalized film. Question is what metal?

If it's in the SECH or DREI line here's the quote from Huper Optik website.

Cutting Edge Technology
    Huper Optik Select films offer a refreshing alternative to conventional metalized window films by combining outstanding performance with a selection of natural, sophisticated shades. Employing state-of-the-art multistack thin-film technologies, the manufacturing process involves depositing alternating layers of microscopic precious gold and silver metals and dielectric substances onto ultraclear films to create an unparalleled heat, glare and ultraviolet shield.

A few installers believe it is "silver" and the edges should be sealed.

Here's one dealers take on why it may have caused the initial GPS problem.

If it is a lighter silver deposition, it may not be enough metal to interfere on its own and only the presence of the water under the film from installation may lead to or contributing to any disruption. Purely speculative... based on RF shielding research done by a major film manufacturer.

Sounds like this could have been "innov8v" main culprit since his GPS started working again.

I am not to sure about Huper Optik's test marketing, as ACHT was first mentioned on the tintude.com forum over a year ago. So it's been around a while. I suppose Huper Optik just hasn't been marketing it too well since even most Huper Optik dealers don't know about it.