1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HOV stickers almost gone, & CA is almost out of CARB $$ too for PHEVs.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by DianneWhitmire, Mar 17, 2014.

1. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you want in the carpool lanes and you want $1500 CA state $, act fast.

Thank God most all my cars here have HOV stickers.
    But, the CARB CVRP $ of $1500 per car for PHEVS is running out too! SIGH.
    Possibly no green stickers very soon, and not much cash left for the California $1500 incentive for the PlugIns. Read that memo below CAREFULLY!!!
    It says there's a bill in to extend the green stickers BUT no idea if/when.
    DMV's program allowing new car dealers to purchase and install green HOV stickers on eligible vehicles before they are sold has been suspended.Not exactly the green news we wanted to share on St. Patrick's Day!
    Existing law authorizes the DMV to issue no more than 40,000 green stickers, and this limit will soon be reached, so DMV has reserved all remaining green stickers for individual consumer applications. AB 2013 (Muratsuchi) was recently introduced and if it becomes law, will increase the number of green stickers that the DMV is authorized to issue.
    DMV's announcement does NOT affect white HOV stickers and dealers may still obtain these in advance for eligible vehicles in their inventory.
    Finally, CARB's Clean Vehicle Rebate Program may also be suspended sometime before July 1st, because funding is running short.

cwerdna, wjtracy and bilofsky like this.
  2. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Whoa! Where's the memo from? I can't find anything else on the web about the dealer program being suspended.

But it does verify my suspicion that the spike in stickers was from dealers who realized that The End Is Near.

3. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The Memo is from very high up. High enough up for me to take that seriously serious! I don't spook easily. :eek:

cwerdna likes this.
  4. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    High up in T****a? Not direct from the DMV, then?

At the rate for the first two weeks of March, the stickers will be gone by March 29. But if this is accurate then they should last a bit longer.

[​IMG]

I'm conflicted about AB 2013. Plug-ins are no longer so new that people won't buy them without incentives. $1 per gallon-equivalent ought to be enough. Pure EVs, OTOH, still need some help because they don't have the range yet to appeal to the general public.

So public policy might best be served by leaving the HOV lanes open for more white stickers, rather than filling them up with plug-ins (and scofflaws, who seem to make up the majority of users around here :mad: ).

5. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    T***a as in Toyota?
    No, this is WAY higher.

PS: thought you knew me well 'nuff by now to know that I don't answer to many people. My boss, and also our dealership's owner(s) as well. The memo is from " an authority" that's serious. It's well connected to D M V.

PriusC_Commuter and bilofsky like this.
  6. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Funny. I just posted this to the Facebook Rav4 EV groups page in answer to the question regarding how the stickers being sold out connect to now thru Jan 2019 ability to use them:

Your ability to use the lanes in a PlugIn hybrid with a green HOV sticker is locked in till Jan 1 2019. There always was only going to be 40,000 GREEN stickers available. They just ran out of GREEN stickers quicker than 2019. Of course, as these things go, let's review history: the original 2005-2011 run of yellow stickers permitted to be in the carpool lanes ran dry finally at 85,000 stickers in Feb 2008. I doubt they will add enough green stickers to get to 85,000 because back in 2005-2008, there were hardly any white-stickered electric cars or CNG cars to clog up the HOV lanes. Today, in 2014, we have Tesla, Rav4 EV, some Fits and Fiats and a few other assorted models that wear white decals... even CNG cars, so there cannot be that many PHEVs taking up space or the HOV lanes won't be any different than the regular freeway lanes. The DOT has to assess traffic patterns and see if there's enough lull to warrant more green stickers. The idea is to reward WHITE stickered non polluting fully EV cars, not get them stuck behind gas/electric cars all the time. I can say this with all sincerity even though I have both a green sticker on my Prius PlugIN and a white on my EV. If I am sitting in traffic with my EV in HOV lanes stuck behind green-stickered cars very much, I'd be a little miffed about spending all this $ on my charging equipment, higher lease payment, and dealing with range anxiety sometimes, and not feeling a tad special for it.

Great minds.......

7. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe $3m just got added to the CVRP funds on 3/13.

8. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
  9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wonder how the PIP is going to sell in CA after the stickers run out :eek:

10. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The resell value of our PiPs will go up (not that I want to get rid of it!)

:D

cwerdna and DianneWhitmire like this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    >>We should probably post this message on the front Home Page of Prius Chat, by moving thread to the Hybrid News thread!!! I previously thought about posting a separate warning message there myself, but I am not a Californian so I don't want to appear to be stepping out of my bounds.

Who knows, but I am expecting decline in PHEV sales! I ran statistics for 2013, showing 44% of Plug_in market was in CA alone. I am wondering if the green sticker expiration is pushing CA to >50% plug_in sales for 2014. If anyone hears stats on CA plug_ins sales (PHEV + EV) for YTD 2014, pls post we can run some calcs.

Why is this true? Does the green tag stay with the car if you sell it?

12. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Yes. The stickers are tied to the car, not the owner.

wjtracy likes this.
  13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that's certainly a plus!
    Wonder if there are speculation buyers purchasing the PIP for later sales?

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI this is exact opposite of VA where the HOV plate is tied to the owner forever, as long as owner continues to buy a hybrid or better. HOV also accounted for high hybrid sales in VA, but our program has been largely phased out to new buyers. But the prior owners have incentive to be repeat customers of hybrids. Kinda weird but I like it in some ways...of course if I wanted HOV access I'd be ticked.

15. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    From the CA DMV website just in case anyone wants my source:

• "All CAV decals remain with the vehicle they were originally issued to and cannot be transferred to any other vehicle. If you purchase a vehicle that has CAVdecals, you may transfer the decal to your name. Refer to the following frequently asked questions (FAQs)."

Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage

16. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Given the monthly depreciation on any used vehicle, plus the requirement to give back the CA $1500 rebate if you don't keep the vehicle for 3 years, I'd think not.

17. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    After the green stickers run out, one "loophole" that enables you to transfer the green stickers to another car appears to be when the car is a total-loss or non-repairable. Say, if you totaled your PiP, you can have the green stickers transferred to the BMW i3 Rex if you so wished. See the reg 1000 form under Section C.

18. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Horrendously unless they incentivize the bejesus out of it.

19. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  20. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced