1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How 2010 Prius is made in Tsutsimi plant - Videos

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ceric, Jun 15, 2009.

1. JimOC

JimOC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

It was a very cheesy version of Scott Joplin's "The Entertainer" (I think that is the name but I cannot find my Joplin CD to confirm), popularized in the movie, "The Sting."

2. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I toured the Audi factory when I was in Germany. The line moved much slower, and the place was a lot cleaner and had more space. However, what do you expect? I'm glad I don't have to pay the Audi prices. :) If I had to choose one to work in, I'd choose the Toyota one, but I would want paid well. hehe I saw another youtube video today about the harmony commercial and claiming that they overworked the Japanese workers. Well, maybe they are on to something because they still have jobs.

3. wayfarer72

wayfarer72 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All that happy music playing while my favorite consumer item is made. Might as well be Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory to me :)

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's amazing how they can build one Prius in 57 seconds.

Anyone know how this is compared to non-hybrids?

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry, but the oil drain bolt and filter cap do have an underbody panel over them. However, only three push-pins and pull down the cover for access.

Prius Underside Pictures 014 (Medium).jpg

Wayne

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Cambridge plant (that builds the Corolla, Matrix and RX) uses an RFID tag mounted on the roof somewhere.

The Corolla at Cambridge, ON, comes off the line ~ 1 per minute so it's comparable.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that's it, but yea, it's goofy electronic.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    if you plan to go to Japan

On a side note, if anyone is planning a trip to Japan (to visit the Toyota factory, of course ;)) and you're into cars or motorcycles, I recommend timing it to coincide w/Tokyo Motor Show. The show featuring passenger cars and motorcycles used to be every other year. Then they'd do a much shorter commercial vehicle show on the in between years. I think they've just switched to going every other year w/everything at once and they'll be doing a show in (October 23 to November 8) 2009.

If you like console games, time it Tokyo Game Show which is every year usually around September.

I've personally gone to Tokyo Game Show one year (for 2 days?) and Tokyo Motor Show two years (for at least 3 days each time). I, of course visited other things in Japan besides the trade shows and auto factories. Both show are held at Makuhari Messe, near Tokyo.

Unfortunately, Toyota City and the Tsutsumi plant are near Nagoya which isn't at all close to Tokyo. I'd recommend taking a bullet train (I did). See Nagoya Travel: Access, Orientation and Transportation.

Of the two, I like TMS much better. When I went, there were tons of part vendors showing their wares ranging from fuel injectors to wiring harnesses to transmissions and differentials. It was neat to see so many transmissions, differentials, engines, etc. cut open for you to see. 2003 and 2005 TMS were *FAR* better than the the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

If timing it to coincide w/TMS, it'd be a good idea to confirm Toyota tour reservations before booking hotel and air travel because they might be very busy due to TMS. I had trouble booking a Nissan tour due to this and there was a whole other story around this that's totally OT but it eventually worked out (by luck).

BTW, booth babes at both are a plus. :cool: (Hope this doesn't come across as sexist, but that's just the way the two shows are.)

9. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bump, so I can find this again...

10. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No doubt speaking for a lot of folks here - it would be great to see more Prius assembly line videos as these.

Any members in Japan (Ken...) have the capability to visit a plant and get approval to take some video for a lot of PriusChat people actually driving these cars around the world?

Even a Pay-per-view if Toyota needs the revenue...;)

11. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Looks like bad news to the DIYs if the cover can only be flipped down and cannot be removed. The car must be jacked up way high to clear the ground or needs to be hoisted up.

12. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yup. That way on 2nd Gen too. Personally, I would've covered it somehow. Can you imagine a piece of road debiris severing the line dropping you dead on the road? I've seen road alligators bend and puncture oil pans.