1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How about this?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Feb 20, 2006.

1. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

There are various (controversial) studies about ethanol that show that it costs more energy (and cost more fossil fuels) to produce ethanol than if we'd just consumed the fossil fuel to begin with...

I'm not saying i agree with it, but the issue on the energy implications of ethanol is not closed.

http://healthandenergy.com/ethanol.htm

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It should be obvious from a tactical and strategic perspective that the United States must do whatever it takes - including firm controls - to reduce foreign energy imports from approx 62% down to 0%.

It's shameful the Big 3 are not doing more to assist with this. Perhaps it will take ration cards to limit fuel consumption, say a max of 8 gallons a week.

Military intervention has resulted in the paradox of *much* higher energy costs. Let's face it, the free ride is over, now everybody has to pay dearly.

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My wife and I actually have a similar investment. Over the last several years my brother and I have certainly made some major transfer of wealth to land(with no mortgages), gold, t-bills and cash. 90% of the economy is confidence adn the degree of confidence, if there is a major shakeup of that confidence look-out!

4. LaughingMan

No. the message I sent is that Toyota deserved my money, while GM and Ford need improvement.

I didn't watch the Daytona 500.

Aren't you sending a mixed message every time you buy (or you personally sell) a Mazda, a Volvo, a Chevy Aveo... etc etc?

Like I said before, I believe the Prius, and hybrid technology is CRITICAL to Toyota's business plan. Hybrid is the most important part of toyota's business for the future, and I truly believe that. We can go through all of this again...

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, as it usually is. The NEV calculations by various groups that promote E85 - including the USDA - are simplistic and purposely ignore all the feedstock input costs. They pick and chose feedstock inputs that are favorable.

That makes sense: if you promote somethng, you *never* present negative data about it.

Much like how the FAA is supposed to ensure the safety of the flying public, but also promote the industry. Guess which contradictory goal usually wins?

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well then, you appear to "get it," at least from my perspective. Your continuing venture into the Bash Toyota camp is thus more puzzling. It should be apparent the true "enemy" - if I may use that word - is every person who uses Credit in some fashion.

Especially as you consider the majority of Credit is now provided by China, Inc.

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I respect your opinion on toyota's business plan. I think we should just agree to disagree. In my opinion to find the answer follow the money. Will toyota make more money selling Priuses and other assorted hybrids or will they make more money selling Tundras and huge SUV's.

8. LaughingMan

In the short term, clearly the answer is that trucks and SUVs are higher margin... I don't disagree that Toyota is looking for a quick infusion of cash from those markets.

But a long term commitment to trucks and SUVs is a dangerous proposition since it's been shown that the market for such vehicles fluctuates with the price of gas. Toyota's trucks sales tanked last year too after Katrina, so Toyota was no different.

Long term, I think that hybrid is going to pay back much more, and be better for everyone. Toyota is going to sell 1000000 hybrids a year by 2010, and that curve is only going to go up exponentially.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The comments Bush made about our addiction to oil were way overdue and will possibly go down as some of the most important comments of his eight years in office. It will ultimately depend on how much meat and potatoes go into solving the energy puzzle. I can tell you his comments about E85 have spurred a huge interest in our showrooms which I take as a positive sign.

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Well, as you might imagine, I am not an imperialistic neo-con ..
    However, I'd hope that even the most rabid right-winger implicity accepts that a PART of America's military budget is spent on protecting the oil economy. Take your best honest estimate, and add that to the cost of petrol you consume. I think you could validly argue that money stays at least in part in the US economy, but a short peek at the history of the USSR might tell you it is a lousy way to run a business.

I do not wish to be mean, but your ignorance regarding ethanol is well ... embarrassing. Might I suggest you read the Ethanol threads on PC as a start. Ford has E85 vehicles for the PR value, and the CAFE credit. Mid-west corn farmers appreciate the subsidy. I cannot find further value in ethanol, even if I ignore the environmental cost of fertilizer run-off, land degradation, and pesticide use.

11. LaughingMan

Ethanol is a neat idea, but just selling vehicles capable of E85 isn't enough.

There are legitimate problems with getting enough distribution infrastructure, and the energy question is a big deal... it's up in the air right now.

This is not free energy by any measure. Just selling a million E85 vehicles isn't going to do you any good if only 1 tenth of a percent actually put E85 into it because of distribution limitations.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    the corn is being grown anyhow so, are the costs you described really attributable to ethanol production at this point. In this area there is corn rotting in storage all ove rthe place. I have read that other crops will soon be used in the production of ethanol. I don't think anyone thinks ethanol is a long-term energy solution but it can help in many ways in the short-term.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have on very good authority that the distribution limitations have been created by the oil lobby. I always assume if the oil lobby is against it it must be good for the rest of us! ;)

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Check out the link Eric, i think you will find you are wrong about GM's Chinese offerings. i will accept your apology! ;)

http://www.gmchina.com/english/

the most sought after nameplate in china is BUICK!

15. LaughingMan

Regardless, that's a huge problem for ethanol...

Oil companies are not going to like becoming irrelevant. They'll do everything to stop it.

The problem with FFVs is that it'll run with regular gasoline too... there's going to be minimal market demand for ethanol to force the oil companies to yield ... If we want ethanol to work, we need to make it a real federal mandate.... but considering how much power the oil industries wield, that's not likely to happen either.

That's frickin depressing.

16. LaughingMan

17. slortz

slortz New Member

Might an arqument be made that if in the US people are buying more and more Toyotas because of quality differences then why not expect people in Japan to buy more Toyotas because of the better quality AND because it is their domestic brand?
    Someone here at PC from Japan had also pointed out that the US auto makers didn't really try to make cars that work in the Japanese market. Do you expect people to buy Explorers and Hummers to drive around the narrow streets there? And gas isn't cheap there like it is here.

Point is, there is a multitude of reasons behind why a Japanese person would buy certain Japanese makes over American makes not the least of which is the quality difference.

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It will be tough, but there is certainly momentum for E85 right now. I think hte time is ripe for change in energy consumption. On a personal note, I am investigating putting a PV array on my garage at home which would leave my home a net electricity producer. I think necessity is the mother of all invention. The higher oil prices go the quicker the US will not care what the price is.

19. EricGo

EricGo New Member

You want an apology because GM has an internet showroom ??

You are going to have to work harder than that. How about sales figures broken down by model ? I remember it being just about all Daewoo, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

20. LaughingMan

Bravo. The japanese market is dominated by japanese brands because those brands cater to the market... small cars, high fuel economy... they fit the Japanese usage model

In the same way that GM and Ford are still top of the heap here in America... they sell vehicles (trucks and SUVs) that cater to the American market... but the market here is shifting toward smaller vehicles and crossovers too