1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How about this?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Feb 20, 2006.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For arguments sake I will agree with your points about GM and Ford. If those are really the reasons why have NO manufacturers made inroads to the Japanese market, Korean, European or American. Is it just that Toyota's are so great or is there some other force at work?

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

It's not that Toyota is so great... it's that very rarely do manufacturers from America, Europe or Korea make a product that is practical for the Japanese market. Cars sold there are small, efficient, practical, and high on technology.

Hybrid technology is doing well in Japan... Prius is popular... Toyota sells a hybrid minivan there, and in a few years the Honda Civic sedan will cease to be offered in a non-hybrid config. THAT's progress.

AND there's a sense of nationalism there that heavily favors Toyota, Nissan and Honda... but you're one to talk if you're going to criticize them for that.

Japan may no longer be a relevant market since it's effectively locked up, but we can look to China for a new market... GM is doing well, but as i pointed out before, only because they have Daewoo and are selling products specifically tailored for the asian market... smaller more efficient cars.

It should also be noted that Toyota is making inroads in selling Prius and hybrid technology to China.

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why is the Japanese market locked up? So VW's would not sell there? How about the smaller Korean makes? Drop the barriers and I think you would be amazed at what would happen. As for China, GM's success is attributable to much more than Daewoo. Check out the GM website.

http://www.gmchina.com/english/

Wouldn't the US market have been considered locked up 40 years ago?

4. LaughingMan

Locked up in the sense that nationalism is very high. Imagine a country full of Malorns that refuse to buy anything but domestic... that's Japan about A LOT of things.

But it just so happens that it fits in Japan because Toyota, Nissan, and Honda provide vehicles that do a good job of satisfying the Japanese usage model. Even if there were no tax barriers, and no inherent nationalism, most Japanese would continue to buy japanese brands because they're so in tune with their own market...

About daewoo, did you even read the article from business week that a posted?
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/conte...31/b3945056.htm

Based on the daowoo lacetti...

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The biggest reason for the lack of imports in Japan is the same reason E85 has struggled in the US, the distribution infrastructure. The Japanese makes inherently do not allow a dealer to sell Chevy's out of Toyota showroom in Japan. If only GM, Ford and Chrysler had followed those guidelines 35 years ago. :(

Today all manufacturers have very rigid guidleines about duelling which some Chinese start-ups are finding very prohibitive. Who wants to shell out 7-15 million for an unknown product? Not even a venture capitalist is very excited about a proforma with so many variables and unknowns.

6. LaughingMan

Well it's too late to worry about that now... and I argue that even if the dealers were more than willing to put a Chevy in the showroom, outside brands would make very little inroads in Japan.

The same thing happened with Microsoft and the Xbox 360. Microsoft send over a quarter million of those new consoles to Japan for the launch, and very few of them sold. Japanese customers are wary of non-domestic brands.

It's a difference between the American and Japanese cultures.

But what's more significant is that the Japanese carmakers, despite having a stranglehold on their own market, are well in tune with the needs of the Japanese people. The domestics in America need to be able to do the same thing. Meet the needs of the Americans. Figure out how to do that, and you'll keep the Japanese from filling the void.

I believe strongly that the Japanese carmaker's success in the US has been due to filling a void that has been ignored for decades by the domestics.

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think the same thing could have been written about the Us in say 1965.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    i hate to burst your bubble but that lacetti is actually a Chevy Cobalt manufactured by daewoo and sold by Buick.

9. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh. What does a GM dealer website tell us, exactly ???

I googled "GM china sales 2005", and looked over the first five or so results. Feel free to correct this snapshot:

VW went into China early, and gained a predominant position. GM has successfully eaten away at VW's market share up through 2005.
    Through 2004, GM posted nice profits, on a mixture of mini-buses and large cars.
    GM profits plummeted 80% in 2005, as the large car demand dried up, and other Korean manufacturers forced GM to cut prices.
    GM increased sales in 2005 by ~ 30%, but this was eclipsed by Hyundai's 200% sales increase.
    Approximately 600K vehicles were sold by GM in China in 2005, 50% of which were mini-buses. If only passenger cars are taken into account, GM stayed in the game by relinquishing profits (sound familiar ?).

10. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Malorn,

Could you be pissed because you and your family missed the biggest business opportunity of your lives when you decided to stick with GM dealerships and did not invest in a Toyota dealership? :)

Sounds like you are formulating a retirement strategy for yourself. Have you determined how much you need in order to sell out and retire completely? Once you do that and find ways to protect your retirement investments and savings, then you can take what's left and do some thinking about how to really improve the community.

Dan and I want to travel and support the charities we think important. I'd like to run for political office but I don't think Dan would like being First Husband to the Whatever.
    A girlfriend, Jane, who counsels girls with eating disorders and battered wives, wants to write and then teach a series of self-help lessons for girls with image problems so she can reach patients before they become patients. If you know what I mean.
    There's a Pro Bono group in town that uses retired volunteers to help small businesses become sucessful. They set up accounting systems, computers, teach marketing, business ethics and law, etc. Maybe there's a need for a group like it in your neck of the woods.
    Eldest brother, a Vet, would like to export his Rotarian business practices to towns in countries like Afghanistan and Iraq. He's already made contacts back in Vietnam. Crazy stuff but that's how strongly he believes in the free enterprise system.

11. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hahahahaa.....

That made this whole thread worth reading.

12. LaughingMan

There's no bubble to burst. my point was that it was manufactured by Daewoo, therefore not made in the USA. The Daewoo purchase worked out extremely well for GM for markets like China.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Actually we are still negotiating with a current dealer and Toyota about a dealer point that is for sale. This dealer wants to get out because of demands Toyota is making on him. I am unsure at this point if we should proceed or not. The dollars involved are of course very high and the future is somewhat uncertain as to what the future holds for Toyota as far as expansion. If Toyota can take a lot of the current pickup and large SUV market it would be a good investment, if toyota cannot continue its growth strategy the blue sky involved would be prohibitive.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First of all, a comment like that from a Texas oilman is like a drug dealer telling his hopelessly addicted customers they should cut out crack and meth. I just don't buy it.

Much like the State of the Union speech when he mentioned Mid East oil, and barely 24 hours later his "minders" issued hasty "corrections" about the comment.

My opinion on the "meat and potatoes" is that there will *not* be any. It's just hot air to give the Sheeple the impression something is being done, when nothing is being done.

15. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Do you have a retirement "number", a retirement strategy? Or do you plan to drop while still in harness?

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yeah, I have a retirement number. My brother and I are really the first generation to run the stores and not vice-versa. At this point barring absolute economic collapse on the part of GM, Ford and DCX, we could both retire today and be fairly comfortable. After 9/11 we began investing heavily in gold, T-bills, land and cash.

What gives? Are yo a retirement advisor or something? I am only in my mid-to-late-thirties and my brother is younger.

17. Spunky

Spunky New Member

No, not a retirement advisor 'though some friends use Dan and I for investment and retirement advice. Usually we tell them to talk to a professional. Once in a while we share our thoughts (as in NO, do not "invest" in retirement property in Florida unless you plan to retire and move there, today!).

Sometimes life seems a gamble. Smart gamblers know how to plan and what to do when they reach their goals - they cash in their chips and go do something else.

Life shouldn't be about work unless you absolutely love what you do and would continue doing it even if you knew you'd drop dead in a month. If you have set a number and you've acheived it, then you should stop working and go live a life that you love, one that makes a difference in the world.

Otherwise, don't expect anyone to show up to mourn at your funeral.

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I truly love what I do about 75 percent of the time. The last 6 months have been brutal in this business, especially in the midwest. Except for the occasional customer and/or employee I love working with people and the car business is in my blood.

As far as gambling, I think everyday a person is in the car business is a gamble. The manufacturers are continually passing costs to the dealers and trying to screw us at every turn. The used vehicle market is more volatile than i have ever seen it. At any one time we probably have 5-800k water in our used vehicle inventory. By far our best investments over the last 5 years have been the land and buildeings that the stores are on. The real estate values are crazy.

At some point i want to get into politics and at that point will put my auto holding in some sort of trust. Besides my family, my businesses and traveling my only other major interest is politics.