1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How accurate is the on-board avg mpg?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by oh-no, Oct 4, 2014.

1. oh-no

oh-no New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    this was my first full tank. my console displayed 46 mpg average for the tank trip but my calculated mpg's (miles divided by refuel gallons) came out to 52.5 mpg. is this normal?

our 2012 gen3 seems to do a lot better as estimating accurately.

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This has been discussed before. The issue is that the North American Gen2 Prii have a rubber bladder in the gas tank that makes it difficult to consistently fill the tank. You have to average several tanks to get an accurate number. That taken into account, the Gen2 tends to show about 2MPG higher on the MFD than the tank fill calculation.

oh-no likes this.
  3. oh-no

oh-no New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so, is there a method to filling consistently? like say, fill till the pump shuts off, wait a minute and top it off?

4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Most people suggest removing the fuel cap first and giving it a minute or two to equalize before filling and then stop at the first click. I personally get out of the car, remove the cap, pay/select fuel grade, then fill at the lowest "automatic" speed until the first click. There's been a couple times that its shut off much earlier than it should have. In those cases I slowly fill while barely holding the trigger til it gets to about what it should be (like 5 gallons for a 50MPG 250mile tank).

ijim2011 and oh-no like this.
  5. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Tank fills will quickly average out over time if you are trying to accurately hand-calculate mpg.

I don't understand the compulsion to "top off" the tank by continuing to pump gas after the first normal automatic pump shutoff. This risks overfilling the tank and damaging or inhibiting the proper functioning of the carbon filter that is used to reduce evaporative emissions into the atmosphere.

marckubu likes this.
  6. oh-no

oh-no New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    topping off after shutoff was in response to the bladder not expanding completely and/or quick enough. logically, if you fill and it stops and the bladder hasnt expanded all the way at some point the bladder will relax to full size leaving more room for fuel.

being new to the prius i have no experience with this topic but the bladder not expanding to full seems incorrect. if this was the case, and there was a significant difference between pump shutoff and actually full, then how accurate can the fuel gauge be? seems it would drop extra quick in the beginning due to the bladder expanding and the internal fuel level dropping. id be willing to bet the difference between fill ups is null but i guess ill see in time.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The bladder collapses to the amount of fuel. The point was to have no 'air' in the gas tank, thus reducing the vapors emitted by the fuel system.
    It was great at that, but annoyed the owners who expected some consistency in the gas gauge.

Get gas at 3 pips if your passenger will remind you for the rest of your life that you ran out of fuel.
    Get gas at 2 pips if you passenger will remind you in times of stress that you ran out of fuel.
    Get gas at 1 pip if your passengers will never mention running out of gas.
    If you see a blinking pip, GET GAS NOW.

8. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's a reason the Gen2's gas gauge is known as the "guess gauge". Most people go more than 100 miles before the first pip disappears.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine is dead on, what the problem?

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a reason the Gen2's gas gauge is known as the "guess gauge" in the North American Gen2 Prii. It is the tank bladder.

In other jurisdictions the fuel gauge works just as well as the Gen III.

It is quite normal behaviour to get 100 mi, or more, on the first 'pip'. The gauge is not linear and the 'pips' do indeed disappear faster as you clock up the distance when compared to miles travelled. From my recollection, this is the same behaviour that I have had in most cars I've driven. Maybe there is some sort of psychology to it.

Data Daedalus likes this.