1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How are "monster trucks" street legal?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TimBikes, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm so sorry.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jul 25 2007, 06:13 AM) [snapback]484594[/snapback]</div>
    I'll sign too, and will do what I can to help. There *are* already laws on the books (bumper height regulations, tires can not protrude past the fenders, etc.) but for some reason these are ignored.

All of this "it's my right to do as I want" stuff is meaningless, if it's at the expense of another's safety.

One's right to safe roads trumps another's right to modify a vehicle at will. Why this isn't totally obvious remains a complete mystery to me.

2. ohershey

ohershey New Member

My favorite response to this issue comes from a family friend, who also happens to be a female undercover officer with ATF, carries at least two guns at all times, and is a bit aggressive. She makes a point to scream "Sorry about your penis" at the top of her lungs when she sees a guy driving a truck like that.

Confucious say: "Man who drive jacked up truck is Hung like Squirrel."

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 25 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]484891[/snapback]</div>
    It all comes down to shared resources. If you do something on your own property, and the effects of it stay on your property, then go for it. If you want to do it on a public resource, then you better be willing to play well with others. Gun laws are a good example: I live within the village limits of our town, so it's illegal for me to discharge a firearm in my back yard, even if I really, really want to and think it should be my right. This law easily makes sense: the houses are too close for safety or comfort.

The same thing is true for speeding. You may want to speed, so go ahead and do it at race track or on private property, but don't do it on the same roads that you are sharing with others. The others (society) have the right to infringe on your "right" to drive if you fail to obey the rules. It's all a balancing act, and that's what makes it so tricky to construct good laws and regulations.

As our population density goes up, we will be forced to share our resources with ever larger numbers of people, with ever grater restrictions on our "rights" to express ourselves however and whenever we see fit.

Tom

4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jul 25 2007, 06:13 AM) [snapback]484594[/snapback]</div>
    What is with the comments about trucks without tailgate? As far as I know, no state has a law that says you have to have a tailgate. That would pretty much make all the commercial flat-bed conversion of light truck illegal and a doubt that is the case.

BTW, I understand the anger with lifted trucks. Excessively high bumpers are very dangerous.

The lifted trucks in Florida and other coastal areas comes from when you could legally off-road on the beach. Some areas that is still legal but mostly it is just a fashion thing now.

5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Something much more prevalent and, equally as dangerous,are tractor trailer bumpers.Basically the rear bumpers on a big rig trailer are worthless and if you rear end one you will go underneath, often resulting in decapitation.
    Dont ever tailgate a big rig.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jul 25 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]485012[/snapback]</div>
    I think this is a very astute observation.

I wonder, does the very nature of the "American Dream" (as it is currently envisioned), make it mutually incompatible with the idea of limits...?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jul 25 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]485008[/snapback]</div>
    "Sorry about your penis!"...?!?!

That's priceless.
    :)

7. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Jul 25 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]485049[/snapback]</div>
    :huh: I guess you were never behind a pick-up truck WITHOUT a tailgate with it's used coffee cups and all sorts of trash rumbling out along the bed toward the vehicle behind it. :angry:

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jul 25 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]485074[/snapback]</div>
    No kidding! It's like some pickup drivers think the bed's a trash can, which magically empties itself.

9. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My 100th post! Woo-Hoo...

I have at times, pondered the ideal vehicle for earthquake disasters here in So Cal. When freeways buckle and crack, the little prius would be a tragic vehicle to try and exit the crazy freeways. On the other hand, monster trucks can run over the curbs and hillsides to exit the freeways and continue looking for a way home. The little traction control prius would be kinda weak trying to muscle its way off the road onto city streets or vice versa.

The other side of the coin would be that monster trucks would soon run out of gas and would have to beg borrow or steal to fuel their monsters. Maybe jacking a few prii full of gas might be just what they need.

Anyway, crash, earthquake or riots, I would rather drive the monster truck. Los Angeles is a crazy place, I have seen the riots, earthquakes and drive bys that ensue on full moon nights.

I can only tell you how good it would feel to drive a monster truck right over the top of a gang bangers low rider full of thugs. Problem is, now the hoods are full of escalades and yukons rolling through with 22 inch wheels and no meat on the tires (low-profile) An SUV with stupid tires like that would have as much of a chance on broken roads as the little prius.....word.

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KD6HDX @ Jul 25 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]485084[/snapback]</div>
    There will be so much rubble that any four-wheeled vehicle will probably be immobilized.

I'd say a dirt bike would probably be your best bet.

11. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I concur, we used to call them enduros. Now their called dual use. These bikes are just dirt bikes with street lights and mufflers. That would be the best scenario.....to have a dirt bike in the back of the monster truck ready to go.

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Florida has a 22" high maximum limit on bumber height. the truks get away with this by mounting a low hanging bumper when in traffic.. But thier mpgs are like 3-8mpg

13. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [attachmentid=11826]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Jul 26 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]485485[/snapback]</div>
    This PIC was taken a few days ago in Plant City, Florida just three streets behind ours while we were coming home from shopping in our Prius. I'm tellin' ya', the Plant City cops turn a blind eye, and actually a very good friend of my Wife's Son is a Plant City policeman who lives TWO streets over from the truck in the picture !!!!!!!!! :angry:

Lift kits and those "hanging ball sacks" are the number one "Florida Redneck" selling items down here and also, with over 75% of the pick-up trucks have their tailgated REMOVED, those bright orange plastic tailgate nets are the number three selling item............. heeee haw.............. I wanna be a Redneck, too !!

Attached Files:

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Besides statutory requirements for bumper height, insurance companies charge higher rates for extraordinary vehicles. A couple of digital photographs showing height and mass with a license plate (or VIN) sent to an insurance company talking about safety and potential for a major loss works wonders.

Many "monster" trucks are modified without insurance company knowledge. Clearly, larger trucks present a high potential for greater losses and liability.

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But...but...it's my freedom --as an American, for goshsakes-- to do this to my vehicle...

...and I'm a MUCH better driver than most people out there, so I won't be getting in an accident in the first place...

------

I thought I'd go ahead and reiterate this senseless argument, just to save us all some time.

That is, essentially, the executive summary...isn't it...?
    [laughing]

17. quadracer1014

quadracer1014 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is a very old thread. But have noticed it has been linked too on several truck forums.

I am an owner of one of the so called Monster Trucks people are complaining about in this thread. Most of you in here are so far off base its not funny.

I own a 2006 F250 diesel with an aftermarket intake, exhaust and programmer. It also has a lift and 35 inch tall tires on it

These trucks are perfectly safe and legal to be on the streets. In fact all of the parts used to lift these trucks are perfectly legal and safety inspected to DOT standards.

I use my truck to tow, and haul various things that a small truck would not be capable of doing daily. And still get 21mpg doing so. It weighs 7700lbs

To those that say these trucks are the most dangerous things on the highway when it comes to accidents you are incorrect.

Hybrid vehicles are.

Im a firefighter EMT. Hybrid vehicles require special training when it comes to extrication and handling because of the high voltage lines traveling through it and the makeup and size of the batteries. Without this training fire/rescue personnel can be seriously injured or killed.

In my area whenever a hybrid is involved in a serious accident a hazmat team is required to be dispatched because of the size and makeup of the batteries. Nothing can be done with the vehicles or the occupants until the hazmat team arrives on scene. These vehicles are the safety issue not trucks and conventional cars

I dont know what it is with some of the poster's in this thread. But people have rights. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean you should be able to force others not to have it

1 person likes this.
  18. AGP

AGP New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True.

I own a '02 F250 with a 2 inch leveling kit, running on 31s. Some people have also expressed here why we need 300+ Horse Power, have any of you thought that your cute little priuses need to be delivered to the show room with something? Some of us actually use our truck for towing... I am sure your prius can't tow a 30ft gooseneck.

You may also not know, but your batteries start in canada, are flown to japan, then to china for manufacturing. Not very green. My truck was made in the good ole' USA and helped give people jobs!

A truck with a lift is probably safer for you, we will drive right over you instead of having 7,300 pounds of steel scratching your plastic car.

You guys make me feel un-safe, you drive 10 in a 40.

2 people like this.
  19. Monstertruckrob

Monstertruckrob New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I too own one of these "monster trucks", a 2004 Ford F-350, with a 6 inch lift, 37 inch tall tires, SCT tuner, and various other upgrades. My question to you is, why do you feel they are so unsafe or not street legal? how safe do you think your prius is if and when you get into an accident? I want you to know that where i live, my truck is well within the states legal limits for being lifted. I have to have an annual safety inspection for registration purposes and have been told each time i visit that they are impressed with how legal i am with my lift and tires. I suggest that if you dont like the "moster trucks", staw away from them, i dont like the prius or other mini cars because i dont feel safe while riding in them. my wife has a 2007 jetta, and i dont even feel safe in that. they feel like death traps. i know that if i get hit, i wont be the one getting hurt. i love my truck, no matter how big it is, no matter how much fuel i "guzzle". please dont complain about what i drive because i wont complain about what you drive.

2 people like this.
  20. rjm06590

rjm06590 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel very unsafe knowing little cars are all around me and and their drivers are stupid enough to drive under me then try and sue me for their own faults. I agree with the statements about it not having to do with vehicles so much as driver experience. My truck handles fairly well but my old 93 and our construction equipment doesnt and ive learned to control vehicles better from those experiences. There are bumper height laws which i pass without having to :drop my bumpers down" im sorry you chose to drive a toy car that belongs on an island the size of califronia not the United States freeways.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.