1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How are Prime owners reacting to the Gas Shortage of 2021??

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PeninsulaPrime, May 12, 2021.

1. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Correct!
    I'm used to only seeing combined cycle b/c of CARB, I believe. No way CA would be okay with 20-35% efficiencies!

"A simple cycle gas turbine can achieve energy conversion efficiencies ranging between 20 and 35 percent. With the higher temperatures achieved in the Department of Energy's turbine program, future hydrogen and syngas fired gas turbine combined cycle plants are likely to achieve efficiencies of 60 percent or more. When waste heat is captured from these systems for heating or industrial purposes, the overall energy cycle efficiency could approach 80 percent."

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Additionally, there's a gas plant (peaking plant) near my house that runs internal combustion engines.

Google Maps

IIRC, that's around 20 5MW IC engines, give-or-take my memory.

EDIT: I was only remembering the first phase:

Plains End I & II | NAES

Plains End I consists of 20 Wartsila 18V34SG reciprocating engines in simple cycle – 113 MW

Plains End II consists of 14 Wartsila 20V 345SG recip engines in simply cycle – 115.6 MW

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From my background, nukes are squarely in the thermal camp, no stretching at all.
    Your "nearly all" is a minority in my region, where the majority of electric power is hydro. The turbines are liquid hydraulic, not gaseous.

And two of the most recent countries I have visited, Iceland and Norway, have much higher fractions of hydroelectric energy.

MTN likes this.
  4. Maggy Field

Maggy Field Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    TP shortage? Get a bidet you filthy barbarians, 1 roll of TP lasts a month! We put them in the guest bathrooms too, and everyone who has ever stayed with us went home and installed their own. Just sayin...

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The difference is I can't fire up a portable refinery and make more gasoline, or put some solar-refineries on my roof and fill up the car that way.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And your point?

For barbarians of the bachelor variety, 1 roll of TP can easily last more than a month without a bidet. It's when they bring home a partner that TP consumption commonly rises sharply. ;)

dbstoo likes this.