1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How bad can it get????

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by oliviasmom5683, Apr 13, 2012.

1. oliviasmom5683

oliviasmom5683 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering buying a Prius V and have concerns about the fuel economy with my driving style which is WTFO! Currently drive a Ford Edge and getting about 20mpg and fiance has a 3rd gen 2011 Prius which is what has started my interest in Prius. Worried about the mpg of the V driving that way that I do. I know that the ultimate outcome will be better then my current POS unsure if the overall mpg will benefit in getting a V or if I should consider the hatchback.

2. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unless you really, really need the extra space and fancier do-tads go with the hatchback it gets better mileage. But and this is really important you must learn how to drive any Prius vehicle properly to maximize your mpg's!

3. rcturner

rcturner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I sounds like your driving habits will negate any real improvements in mileage. If you are not going to change them, I would not bother.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is actually an interesting question (in a perverse way.) I think the auto mags that were trying to show the Prius at its worse were able to drag down the MPG into the low 30s.

Many an aggressive driver have decided to change their ways after buying a Prius. The car just seems to encourage people to chill out and enjoy the quiet and high fuel economy. No promises.

1 person likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If a lot of throttle is just habit, ECO mode makes you push farther before anything happens.

The group that currently gets the worst gas mileage in a Prius are rural mail carriers, they accelerate from every mailbox, then brake for every mailbox. They get about 38 MPG in a Prius.

1 person likes this.
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What a strange sort of self-image.
    Simultaneously deprecatory and proud(?)

Do you consider the Edge to be substandard because of the mileage it returns or just because?

Is your driving mostly high speed highway or a lot of around town stuff? In any event, I doubt you'll do nearly as badly as with any other car (even if you get the v).

- Chris

8. zebelkhan

zebelkhan Member in good standing

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It certainly has done it for me. Everyday I challenge myself to get a better gas mileage than the day before by trying new and different driving techniques.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Doing autocross style maneuvers all day put the average for most of the day into the high 30's. Do you really floor the accelerator after every stop? Do you really slam on the brakes for every stop?

The Prius will change your driving style. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

10. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    OliviasMom – WTFO translates into a lead-footed application of the foot throttle. Driving a Prius hybrid of any model or year to have it deliver maximum, high MPG Fuel Economy numbers, requires a feather-footed not lead-footed application of the throttle.

If a driver chooses to drive a Prius Hybrid “Hybrid Dumb” rather than “Hybrid $mart,” neither the Prius v (vee), 3G Hatchback, Prius c, or Prius PIH will magically deliver high MPG to them.

PUNCHING THE THROTTLE = EXCESSIVE FUEL CONSUMPTION

MILES DRIVEN ÷ EXCESSIVE GALLONS OF FUEL CONSUMPTION = POOR, LOW MPG

Driving either the Prius v Wagon or Prius 3G Sedan using your WTFO driving styles will deliver you MPGs that would probably match what you would get from driving a non-hybrid, conventionally-powered Toyota Corolla with the 1.8-Liter I4 engine in it.

Unless and until you resolve to become “OliviasMom The Prius Borg Queen,” and change your driving style, behaviors and techniques from those of “WTFO Gas-To-Go/Brake-To-Stop,” save your self $30,000± and use it to keep driving your Ford Edge in a WTFO manner, and feeding it fuel at Four Bucks A Gallon for every 20-miles you travel down the road. :plane:

11. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I drove my V (five) in power mode one full tank and got 47.1. Perhaps someone out there with a v can be up to a mpg run in the PWR mode.
    "about 20 mpg . . . not good sounds like your driving on the edge!

12. hoddy4

hoddy4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In theory if you totally didn't use the hybrid features of the Prius I guess the mileage would approach that of a 1.8 liter engine only. I drive the v in the Power mode and average over 50 mpg.

13. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Power mode doesn't change your MPG (maybe a little for higher AC). Your driving such that you think you need power mode DOES change your MPG.

14. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am a reformed lead foot although I was never what I'd call a WTFO type of driver. I play the mpg game against myself and find it only costs me less than 10 minutes on an average hour trip. I went from 18-20 mpg to 45-50 mpg. I should note high speed driving as I did for a test tank (75mph or so just me in the car) dropped it into the low 40s. Climate also drives your Mileage. You'll see folks in Alaska happy with mid 30s at -20F and folks in Florida easily getting over 50 at 70F. I got my best ever during a heat wave in March in 80s somewhere around 53. Do yourself a favor and slow down, it's worth it on several fronts. W

15. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you like driving WTFO and want to keep doing that, then you shouldn't buy a Prius. It'll just frustrate you (and it won't be good for the Prius, either).

Have you ever driven a Miata (aka MX-5)? They're a blast to drive WTFO, reliable as a stone axe and get okay gas mileage too.

16. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe what she's getting at fellas isn't so much that she intends to drive like an Andretti all the time. If you read between the lines, I believe she's saying "if I just drive the car, not trying to get good mpg" what will the V deliver? Now that being said, I am the reason she is considering a Prius. You know I'm not your typical Prius driver. Do I always drive mine like a race car driver, no. However, when I disregard mpg, set the cruise on 80 to and from work, ill still get 40-42 mpg. So, what would the V return? No kidding, you drive it hard you won't get max mpg.......duh. Is 80+mph efficient driving, nope. But show me something else you can drive that fast and still get 40mpg. So, before you all convince her she must reform herself before she can partake in Prius ownership, how bout someone reply who has bought a V but hasn't changed their driving style to maximize fuel economy.

shemarien likes this.
  17. mattheikkila

mattheikkila New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I feel like the way you drive gas mileage isn't gonna be your biggest concern cost-wise. I would think speeding tickets would be a bigger issue.

1 person likes this.
  18. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get a Honda CRZ, sports car hybrid you can have fun with, matches your driving style and will get you great mileage.

Or get a Focus ST with 30 mpg.

For Prius you sort of have to be a fuel saving nut or fuel saving nut wannabe.

19. toyotechwv

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Umm, if she's considering a V I don't think a CR-Z is on the shopping list.

20. toyotechwv

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haven't had one since 2002 actually. Lost count of the warnings though lol.