1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How bad will the repairs be on this damage?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DrPepperholik, Dec 1, 2017.

1. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On my way back to work from lunch I got merged into. Looking at the damage if they need to replace the damaged piece it looks like it will be a big project. Any ideas on how long repairs may take for this? I’m thinking of going to the dealership for it. IMG_0615.JPG IMG_0614.JPG

iPhone ?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We had a slightly less serious hit on the other side, the wheel well flare was dimpled a bit, not as much scuffing though. It came to $784 (Can) before taxes. I believe they repainted most of the one side, to blend.

IMG_7973.JPG

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To do properly it is a replace and repaint of the rear quarter panel plus perhaps a re-skin of the door with definitely a repaint of that door. On my Leaf, something similar was about $2k to be done properly including dropping the pack before the bake. In a Prius, I would also argue for HV battery removal before baking.

4. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So if the other driver was at fault then this would be on them not me right?

iPhone ?

5. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh my! Would the dealership know that? I just filed a claim with insurance. The other driver was at fault according to the police report and I was not. I want it repaired correctly and without any potential future problems. I know the battery is under the back seat and I have 2 car seats in the back.

iPhone ?

6. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Theoretically yes. But this is also what you pay insurance for. In an ideal world, it is their fault and they need to pay you to put the car back to whole including the depreciated value. Your car will now have an accident on its CarFax report and its value just dropped like a rock. You should be compensated for that as well.

In a world without insurance if they don't pay you, you sue them.

In a world with insurance, you can choose to go through your insurance or theirs.

If the other party has no insurance, is under-insured, is non-cooperative with their insurance company, or even if their insurance company are non-cooperative with you, the repairs can drag out for a very long time, or could be only compensated for a smaller amount, or they could refuse.

Going through your insurance means you are out your deductible but will get everything repaired properly because presumably you have good insurance on your vehicle. Your insurance company will then sue the other driver (who will be covered by their insurance policy) for the amount they paid you. You can then also sue the other party for your deductible, but good luck with that.

Dealerships rarely do body-work if ever. And body-shops rarely deal with hybrids or known enough / care enough to do anything different. The insurance company is paying $x and that's what they're going to do. You would need to make sure whatever insurance you go through puts that you want/need a pack removal before baking the paint and a re-installation afterwards. Otherwise if it is not on the paperwork, you are out of luck.

This repair is going to take minimum of 4 days just to get the parts welded on, primed is a day. Painting and a bake is a day. Clear coat and bake is a day. Wash/Wax/Detail can be done a day after that. So if you need another vehicle in the mean time, get a weekly rental. That 4 days if everything goes smoothly.

For my leaf, it was out of commission for roughly 6 months because the door skin needed to be special ordered from Japan and was internationally out of stock and back-ordered.

7. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I plan on having this car for a while so hopefully the accident on my CarFax won’t matter in the future. I do hate that though as it would be valued less if I ever have to get another car. When I filed the claim the claims center representative told me that I can wait to talk to the other guy’s insurance until I talk to my adjuster. His car was a 2017 Ford F-250.

I don’t want battery problems so I will insist the battery be removed before they bake the car. I will need another car for the repair time then and will make sure his insurance covers it.

I’ve never had to do all of this before as my dad handled it since it was his policy and his car. In the 10 years I’ve been on my own I’ve never had an accident until now. So this is kind of new to me. Interestingly enough the other driver and I have the same insurance so to speak. I have Abc Insurance of SC and his is Abc Insurance of TN. His adjuster will be calling me next week too but I will talk to mine before I talk to his. Let the adjusters battle it out.

iPhone ?

8. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I cant tell for sure from the photo but from what I can see that is plastic from the other cars bumper on the door, doesn't look dented from where I am sitting. They would not pull that quarter panel from the little damage that took. The big dent in the rear quarter panel can absolutely be done to perfection with a good paintless dent repair guy (probably what most dealerships would do).

I would take some paint thinner to the door, after your insurance company gets a look at it. And I would bet most of that rubs off. If the door is dented they will re-skin it which is usually about 4.5 to 8 hours book time. and if the door jam is dented there by the door they would pull it with a spitz gun and mud it. Then paint with re-skinned door just blending that corner of the car.

Your estimate is legit for any shop give or take a few. But if you have to pay for this out of pocket than just bring it to a great PDR guy and expect to pay around 150-200 and ask them to clean off the plastic transfer and I would bet this looks good as new......JMO

9. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1512175246282.jpeg

You can kind of see the big dent in this photo comparison of each side. His bumper was not plastic, it was metal and his car was white. The black is from his tire. There is also a dent in the black marks which I circled in the photo. IMG_0615.JPG

iPhone ?

10. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can see the other one now and possibly a deep scratch near the bottom of the door starting on the protective plastic piece.

The large dent compared in both side pics is the one that any PDR guy could take care of. I would start there with an estimate. They wouldnt be able to touch the one by the jam as the metal is too thick. But nothing about that tells me they would replace either. Too be honest it has to be considerable damage before the insurance will approve a new quarter panel as they literally cut a quarter of a car off a salvage car and weld it where it makes sense back to your car....and of course every little part that goes with that.

Again, if their insurance is going to cover this than get it done professionally. But if it wont than it still wont be that sad of a story. I am still certain that most of what looks so terrible will come off with paint thinner and that the little dents that remain wont be all that bad. But you never know until it gets cleaned up

11. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, about $300 for the door skin:
    6711447030 - Panel, rear door, outer left. Interior, glass, body - Genuine Toyota Part

And $650 for the rear quarter panel:
    6160147090 - Panel, quarter, right - Genuine Toyota Part

The $2k is looking about right.

If you had no insurance and wanted to do things cheaply, sure. But on my vehicles I put it back to new and that's exactly what should be done when you're not at fault.

I also would not accept a salvaged panel. Brand new from the factory panels. If you started the day with a 100% clean car, you should end this experience with one. I don't do anything half-way.

Tyfly likes this.
  12. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with you. If this wasn’t a brand new car when I bought it and I didn’t intend on keeping it for the life of the car I would go cheaper route but I do want this car to last for a while. Maybe my oldest son will get it as his first car, he’s currently almost 5 years old.

I’ve had salvage cars before and cars with less than stellar paint repair and I don’t want my Prius to have that. I spent the extra $ on the Blizzard Pearl, I want this repair to be seamless in the paint regard.

iPhone ?

13. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I really don’t see why their insurance wouldn’t cover it, it’s not my fault and the police report says as much.

iPhone ?

14. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Th
    I am willing to bet that this would easily be the type of situation where fault would be hard to prove, unless the other person is offering to take responsibility.

But I would love to hear why you think PDR is doing things "the cheap way" I know it is cheaper financially, but the way you word that makes me think you believe it to be lesser of a repair in quality

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the police wrote it up, it's confirmed. they will pay for everything plus rental and no deductible. just make sure the toyota dealer body shoppe does a first class job. all the best!(y)

DrPepperholik likes this.
  16. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How would this be hard to prove fault? He merged into me while I approached a red light. He hit me, I was practically stopped.

iPhone ?

17. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All it takes is them telling the insurance company that they dont think it was their fault (usually happens after they hear their rates will go up) then it becomes a your word against theirs situation.

18. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They did! I was the one to call the police out there to do a write up for insurance. Thanks! I hope he can get back to his normal self.

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  19. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Honestly, I cant count the number of times we had cars sitting in our lots waiting approval because of a debate of fault. I hope this isnt the case, but it is VERY common

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it doesn't look too bad, and should be a fairly quick and easy repair.