1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how can I get rid of front and rear side bumper gaps!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by terramir, Aug 3, 2018.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Prius going on 15 years so the front and rear bumper cover have been removed more than once what can I do to improve the holding of those both in front and rear it is not sitting right not completely holding and in places there is quite a gap. Help
    terramir

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even my body shoppe can't get the clips to hold.

3. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Somewhere along your bumper there is a break or loose plastic clips. If you are willing to take out the bumper you can try to reinforce the break area to make it stronger. Maybe melt some plastic around the area that broke. I'm planning to examine my V just to get familiar with where all the clips are located. If I find vulnerable spots I can try to reinforce it. There should be lots of youtube how to's on this. Sometime you need to replace a clip completely if it broke off. You can get them on ebay.

The problem is, just trying to take out your bumper after so many fixes in the past, can wear out or even break more clips.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not necessary to reinforce anything. And not possible to repair. The clips are pretty cheap.

Both front and rear have one clip on each side that hold the bumper corners up. Black plastic clips that usually break every time you pop the bumper off. They have little plastic teeth that fit into the slots of the bumper corner to hold the bumper corner on. If you have a gap that means all of the teeth are missing on that clip. Clips must be replaced. Been there many times.

OR the bumper hold up slots are ripped. That's pretty common too. Caused by someone not pulling the bumper corner off properly or removing an after market bumper which is an extremely thin and crappy Chinese version of the oem bumper.

#4 edthefox5, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    cyberpriusII and PriusV17 like this.
  5. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Prius clips are different than I thought. This youtube guy took out only the side that needed replacement. Interesting that the entire bumper did not need to come off.

I'm thinking of silicone lubing the clips and the bumper holes to create less friction and reduce the chances of something breaking.

The most expensive part is the bumper which can cost 300-400 new and painted. If the bumper holes break, that would be difficult to fix. Melting plastics may be required or some custom work.

As a precaution if possible I would try to safely press on the locking plastic clips to see if it will release easier. And when ready to lock back in, make sure everything is properly aligned.

Attached Files:

6. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What you mean pretty cheap I have not seen anything under 20 bucks or more and we'll I would need 4 unless I am looking for the wrong thing
    terramir

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What I mean? I mean to me $20 is cheap. It’s an oem body part.

#7 edthefox5, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’m confused. Are you talking about your 2017 car and why?

9. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Just referring to the gen 2 in the video. My gen 3 is starting to show a gap just from hitting steep driveway curbs.