1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How can I mod the DRL to have it on at all time? (for 2013 models)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by m3rhkp, Apr 26, 2013.

1. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Where is the led relay? And can u post a pic? That would help! Thanks!

2. 4everS2K

4everS2K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It looks awesome! Do you have any pics on the relay area? and your homemade wire?

3. Fong

Fong Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I taped the red wire on the DRL and run to the fuse. fuse.jpg This method will always ON when the vehicle in the "Ready mode". Please see images for details.
    drlmod.jpg

andyl8u and Wilfredo like this.
  4. andreyco

andreyco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This has got to be the most confusing DIY yet. I'd like to do this, and I'm pretty comfortable working with schematics I just don't have any.

5. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I have time .. I'm going to try and decipher his pics and I'll make a better DIY.. But won't have the time til the following weekend!

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree, there is a lot to be desired there lol. Pretty confusing, since there is a black wire going to the fuse for the supposed override, but all I see are red wires coming out of the wire tap in the second pic. :confused:

Here's another view of the fuse box in the engine bay from the opposite side (fender looking in):

[​IMG]

In my pic, the three 10 amp (red) fuses in his pic are to the left of the heavy white wire in my pic above. Unfortunately, in my pic they are only showing the extreme edge of the fuses because I originally took the pic to show something else in the fuse box. He kind of zoomed in a little too much which makes it a little hard to see where everything is in relation to those fuses he tapped for 12v Ready Mode power.

Edit: The two red wires running to the front right of the fuse box (in my pic) were added by me, and additionally, I have a cover removed where the screw driver is, so a stock fuse box won't look exactly like my picture. ;)

7. Fong

Fong Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Sorry about the confusing on the red wire and then the black wire going to the fuse. The reason the wire is black because that wire was my LED strips light, so I taped the red DRL's wire to the my current LED black wire. If I have the time I will make this DIY better. Keep in mind my is the 2013 Persona and I don't know if the previous model has the same fuse layout. However, if you open your owner's manual and look for the inverter and converter 10A fuse and tap to that fuse.

Wilfredo likes this.
  8. andreyco

andreyco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My confusion stems not so much from the fuse box, but where the DRL's relay (if they have one) is located.

9. bliss

bliss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    can't wait to try this myself.

10. 4everS2K

4everS2K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks Fong!
    That clarifies the confusion a bit. Let me put these in order here.
    1) Tap the red wire on DRL (where is this anyway? Where should I access from?)
    2) Run that wire to the fuse box in the engine bay (what gauge wire should I use?)
    3) Tap the fuse located for the inverter and converter (10A). (I will most likely use a fuse tap kit shown on the link below instead).
    Firestone Fuse Circuit Tap Kit Firestone Accessories and Parts F2526
    Is there anything I should be aware of?
    How is the brightness btw?

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe Fong just tapped the wires going to the DRLs so the pic he posted is from right behind the bumper where the wiring and connector for the DRL is. Hopefully he will clarify that.

Also, hopefully he will clarify whether you need to tap into both driver's and passenger side DRLs or just one side. I suspect you need to tap both sides or you will only have one on when the lowbeams are on.

13. Fong

Fong Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    1) Underneath Left and Right side front bumper remove the fender liner bolts and clips and pull down the fender liner. See page 480 how to access.
    2) Define the DRL wires and pull out the black rubber piece as shown in my second picture and tap to the red wire. I used the left over wires from MIT Signal mirrors. I think 18-20 gauge wire should be okay.
    3) I will get the tap kit later due to lack of time.
    Special Note: Make sure you raise your vehicle with a floor jack to gain better access. See page 422 for front view.
    I would start with the driver side first and use the tap type as shown in 2 picture with 2 red wires coming out. One running to the left side DRL and other going to 10A fuse. Let me know if you need more info or PM for my contact.

14. Fong

Fong Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Both side

15. Fong

Fong Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  16. andreyco

andreyco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There has to be an easier way then removing the bumper to access the wires leading to the DRLs

17. Fong

Fong Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    You dont need to remove the bumper

18. Fong

Fong Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  19. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've done this a few times on other vechicles to prevent fog lights from turning off when the highbeams are flipped on, very similar. All you need to do is splice a constant power to the Fog lights. If someone can post up the wiring schematic from the fuse/relay box under the hood it will take 5 seconds to figure out. And should all be able to be done right at the box without having to run wires to the fogs.

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I'm thinking that would be a bad idea. The super bright LED wouldn't be super bright compared to the OEM DRLs and the running lights or corner lights aren't designed to be seen as well as the signal lights which are 35w bulbs.