1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How can I use a ScanGauge?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by j.e.f.f, Jul 17, 2010.

1. j.e.f.f

j.e.f.f New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks.

I've been lurking here for a while, reading up on some ways to improve my fuel economy.

My record tank was 4.6L/100km, and I was able get 831 km out of it. I'm wondering if it's possible to hit 900, and what tools or techniques I can use to do so.

I've been practicing P&G, and though I'm not so good at it just yet when I'm consciously trying to do it, I suspect I had been doing it all along without thinking about it, especially for my 800+ km tanks.

So around to my question: I've read over and over that a ScanGauge is the hypermiler's best friend, but I haven't been able to find a single post as to why or how it can be used to increase FE. I don't know what readings I'll get, nor do I know how to interpret them.

I'm looking for a practical guide explaining what the ScanGuide actually does, how its readings can be used, and practical examples of how drivers here are using it. A tried a bunch of searches in vain -- the term ScanGuage comes up in pretty much every thread :)

Thanks to everyone who can shed some light.

Cheers!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. j.e.f.f

j.e.f.f New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had come across that thread before, and even though I have now re-read it, I'm still a little foggy on how to set up and use a scangauge. Nor am I decided if I can really use it to significant benefit, considering it costs $150.

That said, reading through the various posts did open my eyes to some flaws in my driving technique, and I'm already seeing the results in my FE! I have no doubt that on the next tank I can hit 900 km.

So in a round-about way, thanks for the link!

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I keep an eye on coolant temp, RPM, GPH & instantaneous MPG. It helped me find the transition points & to lighten up on the gas pedal to reduce RPM at a given speed. If you have to pay to diagnose or clear a DTC the gauge will pay for itself on the 2nd use.

5. wintechsw

wintechsw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm on my second Gen11 Prius and I have had a Scangauge for over 18 months now. Sorry for the metric measurements but that's the way it is in Oz.

I found that for highway driving, keeping the LOD figure below 78 gives me the best trip time/consumption figure. For our 110kph roads this occurs at indicated 106kph speeds(103kph actual). So I set my Cruise Control at 106kph. The Scangauge then shows consumption at less than 5 l/100km(47US mpg) on level road and calm wind conditions.

I regularly get indicated consumption figures of 4.6 l/100km for long trips and 4.3 l/100km for urban driving.

My lifetime consumption has improved from 20.4 km/l for my first Prius (31000 km) to my present Prius consumption of 21.4 km/l (20000 km). This increase is the result of using the Scangauge to find the sweetspot at highway speeds.

6. j.e.f.f

j.e.f.f New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

I hadn't thought about its value for highway driving, as for the most part I drive my Prius in the city. Just by practicing the driving techniques described throughout these forums, I've been able to achieve 4.4 - 4.5 L/100km in my daily commute on a regular basis, and I think I can get to 4.3 over the next couple of tanks of gas.

As for highway driving, I've been content If I can keep my efficiency below 5.0, but it seems I might be able to get a more significant improvement using the gauge.

What is the "LOD" value? I couldn't find that described in the Acronyms thread.

7. billysbarn

billysbarn New Member

I believe there is a new version Scangauge 2 4.5 due out soon.
    Does anybody know anything about it?
    Is it an improvement and what extra features will it have?
    Billy in the UK, waiting to buy one

8. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you consider 3.9 lt/100 km a significant step up then SG II will help you. But if you see it as a financial investment to save you gas money that is unlikely.

SG II will show you your battery's state of charge so you can use warp stealth, Amps in and out so you can feather the gas pedal without the engine starting, engine temperature so you can force s4 and glide a lot, and instant mpg in the same screen.