1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How clean are electric cars?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by irrational, Dec 29, 2014.

1. irrational

irrational Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting article talking about the CO2 produced by the electric grid, and how that relates to CO2 emissions from gasoline cars.

How Do Electric Cars Get Cleaner With The New Year?

It even has a map that breaks it out by region. Pretty interesting!

Also, pretty sad that (according to this) my Prius (in Oklahoma) has less CO2 emissions than a Leaf. But, as the article states, these electric grid emissions should be improving over time.

#1 irrational, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd have to look at the raw data. Lately coal is making a bit of a come back following a minimum in 2012.
    They are showing VA/MD/PA as clean elec states, but we use a lot of coal...whoever made the chart found a way to carve out small chunks of PA/MD/VA as coal areas, but showed most of the area as cleaner energy. Sort of energy gerrymandering.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You think big-coal southwest VA is the same as Nuclear around Fredericksburg from Lake Anna? There are differences within a state even if they are connected to the same grid.

4. irrational

irrational Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To be fair, a true comparison of CO2 should probably factor in the CO2 produced from the well to the gas station, and add that back to the CO2 that a car produces. It's not like gas magically appears at the gas station, lol.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can put your mouth over my exhaust pipe when i'm in ev, with no ill effects. except chromium poisoning.

irrational likes this.
  6. Hartrepair

Hartrepair New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Filthy dirty...I have to wash mine afer ever rain

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...on the other hand we need to consider that CO2 is not the only problem. Mercury, acid rain, NOX smog, particluates, coal ash disposal, are an issue with electric made from coal especially. Not to mention nuke hazards which I am not too crazy about either. When we say CO2 needs to be the No. 1 consideration and energy ranking factor, then IMHO that could be a mistake.

Trollbait and irrational like this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    1. No more gas station visits
    2. Cost per mile lower or equal
    3. All but end oil changes and coolant
    I don't know if I could stand the savings . . . wait, I'm 65 and will eventually graduate to fixed income.

Bob Wilson

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What about the massive power stations situated next to the oil refinery? Are they ever included in the 'well to wheel' calculations?

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What about EV users in Northeast winters if they have any heat on?
    I personally do not feel EV's are as low in CO2 in the Northeast as the map would suggest.
    I keep meaning to rent a Volt in winter to check it out, hey it's about that time to do that.

11. irrational

irrational Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't sone EVs (like the Teslas, I'm pretty sure) still have coolant for the battery packs?

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Volt does but unlike engine coolant, I doubt it ever approaches 100C or regular engine coolant temperatures. I could be wrong but my understanding of battery technology and the plastic separator mesh is pretty temperature sensitive. The power electronics are probably liquid cooled but the same thing applied . . . much lower heat load than the engine.

Bob Wilson

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Off the top of my head, there is Peach Bottom, Limerick, and TMI still has a reactor running in the east of Pennsylvania. Coal is under 40%, and is beaten out by nuclear in the mix for me. Coal doesn't get greater than 50% until you get to Pittsburgh. Though there are spots that still use coal for home heating.

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The UCS uses some questionable methodology and it is difficult to really know what happens marginally in the short term. In the long term though we know some things. The US repealed many of the 70s era pro-coal rules, and even though today's laws still favor existing coal plants, economics favors less coal not more. We won't have large amounts of plug-ins on the road for at least a decade. What will the grid look like then?
    Why EVs Are And Almost Always Will Be Greener

It is likely that the country will have much more wind, solar, and natural gas power plants and will continue to shut down coal. If you add a plug-in to the grid it is unlikely that you will slow the decrease in coal generation over a decades term, but many do accelerate growth in renewables.

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    All cars take a hit in efficiency in the cold, but efficient cars take a bigger hit than ineffient ones. My guess is a small adjustment should be made, maybe 7%, but then again the north east grid should be getting cleaner in the future. Go 10 years out and it will be an underestimate. Remember don't be like consumer reports and just act like worst case is the regular one. Use should be averaged on an entire year.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ..... you can wrap your lips around mine too.... if you can ever find it. :whistle:
    20141229_093855_20141229094113053_20141230120304201.jpg

some cars break the CO2 general RULE - and the ratio of rule breakers is growing. For example the state with the most cars registered is Cali. In that same vein, they have the most EV's. And, a substantial % of EV owners either have PV setups or are planning on installing PV. Think about it .... potentially doing away with almost all of the well to wheels computation. Sure - being grid tied after dark means not all your juice is completely carbon free - but that's about as far to the opposite side of the gross polluter scale as is practical.

#17 hill, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope we're talking about your car.:cool:

hill likes this.
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was hoping that wouldn't have been so easily misunderstood ... too late.... should have followed your lead with exhaust pipe ... oh well I'm thick skinned - not worth the edit. But ... at 6'-5" ... I DO wear a size 13 shoe. Just sayin'
    :LOL:

#19 hill, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015