1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How climate change denialism works

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Alric, Feb 27, 2010.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    None of us does nearly enough!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's exactly what i mean. we do all we can, but it is not nearly enough. what's the point of proving cc, we can't do anything but slow the big train coming.

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

With some due respect I don't think "we all do everything we can to reduce our carbon foot print"!

Do you personally do any or all of the following?

Have you done an energy audit of your home to find where you can save both heating and A/C energy? Have you followed through with the suggestions as to the upgrades? Have you replaced EVERY light bulb in your house (and office/work space) with CFLs or other high efficient lighting,, including LEDs?

Have you up graded your appliances? (A new fridge will use ~1/3-1/2 as much power as on ten years old) HVAC Systems including ground source or hot water recovery heat pumps? Have you installed water saving toilets and shower heads? Installed simple solar hot water heaters? Have you replaced your tank type water heater with a demand type water heater?

Do you heat (or cool) space that you don't use/need? Is your house bigger than you need? Do you turn off your electronics with a power strip? (A Satellite box will draw as many watts turn off, as on, as will most electronics) Do you clean the coils on your fridge? Do you service your HVAC system including filters regularly? Do you turn your T-stat down when you are not using the space?

Have you installed PV solar panels or invested in other green power sources through your local utility? (Most utilities have a process where you can pay a few dollars more per month to by renewable power,, a great way to buy green power with out having to invest in Pv on your own house).

Do you consolidate your vehicle trips? Do you use public transport when possible? Do you car pool?

Do you strive to reduce waste, recycle as much as possible, compost?

I could go on all night, but I suspect that there are few of us out there who have done everything on this list. I myself am not perfect, but I do and have done nearly all these and more. To that end, we don't live some medieval, cave man life style. We have central heat, drive two cars, and we even have a hot tub! So to say that we can't do it without returning to the stone age is just plain wrong!

1 person likes this.
  4. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Absolutely not.
    I think every environmentalist needs to know the facts about what is behind CO2 C&T.
    I will never hide the truth.
    I consider myself to be an environmentalist BTW.
    I am not willingly going to be a victim of a corporate scam just because its painted green.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to disappoint you icarus, but i have done all those things. we, unfortunately, don't have a green alternative power charge thru our utility here in "enlightened massachusetts" but i am working on financing to do solar myself.
    how wonderful it must feel that you are superior to everyone else in your greenness. your righteous anger won't change minds or the world, but i applaud your effort. peace.

6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never suggested that I am superior to anyone much less everyone else, and indeed I don't believe there is anything in my posts in this thread (or nearly any other) that suggests I am angry! (Although I confess that it pisses me of to be told how I feel!)

I agree that anger generally doesn't change minds, but rather we lead by example, which I try to do. I am glad you have done all these things. The reality is perhaps you can influence your friends, neighbours and family and that is how one changes the world. But please, don't presume to suggest how I feel unless I tell you!)

7. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I think you missed my point. I too think that Cap and trade is an avenue for disaster! That is why I have always suggested a Carbon Tax rather than cap and trade. I just think that bringing Goldman Sachs into the conversation just adds fuel to those that don't want to engage in the issue.

8. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Icarus
    I know you have the best intentions.
    But you are enabling the nuclear industry and enabling the banking thieves.
    We are choosing the future at this moment.
    "Green jobs" turn out to be jobs building and operating new nuke plants because they are low CO2.
    I know thats not what you voted for.

9. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please explain how I am enabling the NUKE industry and banking thieves? I must be missing something.

10. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You realize that nuclear power is the only major energy source that is carbon neutral?
    Wind, solar, and hydro will always be a minor alternative.
    At least they will be minor ,when Obama gives $60 Billion in loans to nukes and little to alternative energy.
    Nuclear will be our main source of energy without coal/natural gas /oil.
    Google "Exelon obama axelrod rahm"
    Heres a good one.
    BTW Exelon is a major contributor of Obama.Client of Axelrod and Emmanual.

Exelon's Carbon Advantage - Forbes.com

11. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With respect, I asked you to explain how I was enabling NUKES and Goldman?

What you provided was how Obama is enabling nukes and Goldman.

How is my loud support for RE and conservation a bad thing?

1 person likes this.