1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How close are we getting to be able to charge more than high book for our used Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Alphawolf, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your first paragraph is accurate, your second isn't since you know we have no way of influencing the price of gasoline and since the OP has already bought a 3rd gen Prius and was simply asking about forum members' estimates.

By the way when was the last time a country's "national good" took priority over personal good? And when was the last time the government or anyone else really prosecuted white collar crimes?

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nobody knows where oil is going. Up or down who knows. It could have peaked today and start dropping. Probably not quite yet, though. In any case, gas lags oil. Most people couldn't tell you within 50% what a barrel goes for now; they know what gas costs. As I said, it lags oil so even if oil ebbs $5-10 over the next week gas will keep going up for a short time. But even before the libyan speculation kicked in oil has been steadily rising for months, so if you're not in a hurry it cannot hurt to wait. People are fickle as anything and if gas national average hits $4--IF--then it will be even more pimped on the news than it is now and suddenly the sheeple will be stumbling over themselves to get a Prius.

Some will try and be ahead of the curve and it's a good time to sell now. Just don't let anyone low ball you.

Ad looks good, price seems reasonable.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't. Prius is a badge of honor when others are getting home equity lines to fill their gas tank. it's like look at me you guys suck I don't burn gas. Also, a Hyundai is, well, a Hyundai. Some people are embarrassed to think about being seen in a Prius but not as much as an Elantra.

2008 prices on these things were insane. I felt pity for people willing to pay through the nose during a classically obvious bubble in oil prices, but they did it. and 6 months later oil was under $35/barrel. Oops. And overnight the Prius went from waiting list to massive excessive supply.
    Yeah really, white collar crimes? Not in this country.

4. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    ystasino - Thank you for your comment. Actually,perhaps America was never as good as I had hoped ... imagined .... believed. I am old enough to remember, at least having the perception that "America is great because the people are good." I suppose the media exposes so much public corruption, that was always there, but we did not know about it.

I certainly hope all of my investments, and purchases (my G3 Prius in this case) hold their value. But I certainly do not hope that gasoline will continue to rise so I can sell my Prius at a higher price. But, as you point out ... there is really nothing I can do about it.

5. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

I'd say about $2 away, if it goes higher than the last run up there will be the same effect as last time in 08. Especially if the 11's dry up. If one doesn't like their car, that's a good time to sell.

Everyone, almost, seems concerned about money, and how much they can make on things. I liked it better when that wasn't the case. I liked it when a house in Palo Alto CA was 20k for a nice one, and no one was thinking it would be something to make money on. Yes they were 20k for a nice one. Not that far distant ago either, in the sixties. The atmosphere of thinking was somehow different. Something has gone very wrong since then IMO.

6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wonder if there is any way to quantify society's love of money and status to see if it really has changed. It very possibly has. Consumerism is a high percentage of the economy and marketing inundates us with ads telling us what to buy. Many are virtually enslaved to the simple idea that the more they buy the happier they will be.

7. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Best episode ever...

8. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was a recent study that people earning above 60k all reported very similar levels of happiness. Now there are obvious flaws in such a situation, but one has to consider whether using money as a means of proving one is worthy is also somewhat exaggerated by the media.

I believe the cost of education is more scandalous than people's love of money.

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I saw that and before it came out I was sure of that anyway. Once you hit a certain amount of money, basically smack dab middle class I had no confidence whatsoever that more money gives more meaning or happiness.

10. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Schadenfreude

Sigh. :confused:

Another thread not likely to endear Prius drivers to the general public.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude]Schadenfreude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

11. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Closer every day!

Consider this OTOH, as the value of the Prius increases, it will follow that it will become a morepopular target for thieves. Caution must be used in where it is parked unattended. I believe the ignition lock system is good ... but a clever thief can break any system.

12. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

My gas price estimate was low. Everything else is spot-on.

13. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Individuals who fall into this category may be the best candidates for selling now, because it may be the only opportunity to recoup the premium that paid in 2008! Of course, they would then be stuck walking unless they were willing to settle for a less fuel effeciant vehicle. But, if they had other transportation, this could be the perfect time to dump the 2008 and then wait out the supply shortage and purchase an 2011 when supplies return to normal!

14. April&Daisy

April&Daisy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I jumped on a used 2008 that was priced exactly at "Excellent" blue book value. I responded within 5 minutes of the ad being posted and drove to pick it up immediately. I was told that between me calling and making an appointment to come get it and me arriving, they had received 25 calls. I bought it private party from a couple nice enough to hold it till I arrived since I was the first caller. I paid cash (bank wire transfer).

Mind you, every other car I have ever purchased I was able to find for very close to trade in value. However, I had been watching Prius ads for months and responded to multiple ads (with outrageous prices when compared to book values) only to hear that each Prius sold for between $1,000 and $4,000 more than the "excellent" price on kelly blue book. I even called about a restored/salvaged prius and was told it sold for the same as the trade in price on KBB for a clean titled prius. Just insane.

So from my pretty recent experience trying to buy one, I would say most are selling for more that blue book--in Phoenix AZ anyway.

15. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been watching like a hawk the local Priuses. There are still some ok deals like today (actually it just sold today but was here for at least a week on craigslist and autotrader), a 2006 with 99k miles for $10.5k. Or a 2008 with 125k miles for $13.5k (miles high but that isn't a terrible price). Still, I refuse to pay a big premium on a second Prius just because gas is spiking--I'm pretty darn confident this spike is going to settle down soon and we'll get more breathing room on these.

I will tell you though it's a damn fine thing driving around tonight and at 54.5 mpg (higher than average but the weather was nice) past stations selling at $3.98/gallon.

16. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Skoorbmax I checked pricing In Orlando and you are right sky high but I just helped my friend buy a 2007 Prius with 35k miles for 12,800 was loaded with every option except leather. There are still some deals out there but definitely have to look and be willing to drive 200 miles to get :)

17. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is a great price. There is one or was a day back in Orlando, 2007 for $13,900 which seemed about as good as a person can get but wasn't loaded. I hope your friend realizes what a seriously great price he got!

18. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know how friends are he is already telling the world how he beat the guy up on the price and all that good stuff when I did everything on deal except pay for it!! :)

19. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah, what are friends for!