1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How comfortable are you with riding in a self-driving vehicle?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pilotgrrl, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fixed that for you :D

I do not think self driving AI will be up to the challenge of navigating around crazy, unpredictable human drivers anytime soon. We cannot afford a separate road infrastructure for self-driving vehicles only.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't mean that self driving AI must necessarily have worse safety outcomes than the crazy unpredictable humans themselves.

3. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Careful human drivers like you & me are much better at predicting & avoiding the crazies. We see then coming, weaving across lanes and stay out of their way as much as possible.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Self-driving AI won't be replacing just us 'near perfect' :) drivers, it will also be replacing those crazy unpredictable drivers. The overall community safety gain from replacing the later, should exceed the losses of replacing the former.

5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those crazy drivers "rolling coal" will do so as long as they can get away with it. Those are the real hazard for self-driving cars.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The self driving cars should all have plenty of dashcams and other recorded evidence, making it harder for the crazies to get away with deliberate harassment.

They will have to limit their intentional tweaks to regular old-fashioned drivers, in the hopes of avoiding recorded evidence. Which is already becoming more chancy.

Trollbait and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummm: http://www.hybridcars.com/jeremy-clarkson-says-self-driving-cars-not-ready-prime-time/

Jeremy Clarkson, best known as the former star of the BBC’s Top Gear, has declared self-driving cars as not ready for prime time.
    . . .
    “I drove a car the other day which has a claim of autonomous capability and twice in the space of 50 miles on the M4 [roadway] it made a mistake, a huge mistake, which could have resulted in death,” wrote Clarkson in the UK’s in the Sunday Times magazine. “We have to be very careful legally, so I’m not going to say which one.”

A cynic might think that Clarkson's survival proves the software is buggy.

Bob Wilson

RCO, A Prime Factor and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Reading a book in traffic would cause me to throw up. :sick::(

9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I've said elsewhere on PC, England's M4 is the place where the majority of lunatic driver's congregate. The fact that Clarkson was on it tends to prove the point.

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the information of all non Brits, the M4 is a dual-carriageway Motorway running between Carmarthen in Wales and London, England. Along its route from West to East the are many other cities and large conurbations, therefore it is always busy and commuters are always in a rush. To add to the traffic woes, sometimes there are two lanes and most time there are three, but the ubiquitous road maintenance works often reduce them by one lane and speed limits tend to fluctuate down from the national 70mph limit for cars, 60mph for commercial vehicles, but learner driver's and mopeds with 50cc or less are prohibited. Unless enforced by traffic cameras, the speed limits tend to be ignored.

Prodigyplace likes this.