1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How did you first end up at PriusChat?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Aug 26, 2017.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I mean, of course, some, such as Bisco, probably through their Parole Agent, but otherwise....

But, wait, I forgot, Bisco=Danny, right? :LOL:

Of course, I assume, many of you don't recall.

But, I recall in full Technicolor, reading how to replace my cabin filter somewhere other than PriusChat,, but not being able to do the deed.

The issue was I was afraid to push too hard on the sides of the box to slip the ears loose. Once I posted and everyone told me to push away, it, of course, was a simple task....but sometimes...those simple things are the most fearful.

I am not a "Hobbit" or any one of the many others around here who can take apart the Prius and put it back together again, but I have managed to do a fair number of chores.

One of the stupidest, but the most fulfilling, was screening off the rodent entry points. That took forever, and, of course they still can crawl into the main engine compartment with impunity, but it has kept them out of the cabin filter, anyway, which I was getting tired of replacing every few weeks.

Second job, again simple, was putting anti-seize on the wheels to enable me to remove them in the event of a flat -- or when I rotate the tires.

So, when did you first grace these pages....:)
    kris

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have no idea. sincerely. i suspect i googled prius something and tripped over it.:cool:
    and rumors of my demise are premature.:cautious:
    according to my p/a.:sneaky:

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I first visited these hollowed grounds last year after doing most of the work myself and not really needing much support ;).

I had begun noticing some hesitation between the ICE and electric transition, and I started to see others with the same issues.

The people seemed friendly (for the most part) and I created an account to share my experiences :). It has also afforded the opportunity to meet others and learn together.

Glad to be a contributing member(y).

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I contribute, I guess, but probably not too productively!

Although, I have given a few tips through the years!
    kris

RCO, WilDavis, bisco and 1 other person like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Everyone contributes in their own way;).

I try to keep it clean and positive(y).

Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm just a kibitzer.

Data Daedalus, RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. marlinsmobile

marlinsmobile Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I first appeared as a result of a google search in November-ish 2015, when I was considering buying a Prius and was trying to learn everything I could. I read the entire daisy555 thread. (I'm not kidding. The whole thing.) I remember feeling that I had officially arrived the first time @bisco replied to one of my early posts!

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was shortly after getting our 04 Prius that I stumbled upon PriusChat and there was also Prius online that has faded away it seems.

Montgomery and Data Daedalus like this.
  9. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I remember responding to an advertisement on the back of a packet of Cornflakes "How to be a concert pianist in ten easy lessons" and, as they say, the rest is history! :rolleyes:

10. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the only tip I could offer is "buy low and sell high!"

Data Daedalus likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Searched for information on the Gen 2 Prius. Back then, there were two prius sites - PriusChat and PriusOnline. PriusOnline was quite technical, PriusChat was more... chatty :p Found a good group here and learned a lot of stuff on how to drive and mod the Prius. The rest is history.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Top post gets 'like' for remembering Hobbit. Irascibility more than balanced by competence.

Thirteen years ago I was looking for new places to expand (and see expanded) ways to increase user value and understanding of Prius. This PC was about the 4th and turned out to have longest legs.

During a few years after, there were issues with ye olde NHW11, and perhaps I played some role in getting Toyota to fund some repairs beyond warranty. In turn this may have have had a small positive influence on new folks dipping their toes in.

Other than that, I overfill the environmental docket in two ways. Responding to climate-related posts where further discussions could illuminate. Second, somehow a majority folks (even here) don't 'get' the joy associated with Biology being among the most amazing aspects of Science. I wish other amazing aspects had more ambassadors here. The whole thing is a real hoot and what better playground than this odd car's website?

What I have learned here, not just about cars, is the real payoff.

Montgomery, Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  13. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I started lurking here around May 2009 while researching new vehicles. Purchased a 2010 IV in July 2009, which is when I joined and started contributing. So many helpful people on here, and I hope I've helped others as well...

Montgomery, RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In 05' joined the original chat, watched it morph, I lost my forum name during one of the upgrades, get no response from administrators about my monicker and view the chat as a for profit humor forum;)

I see I'm listed as joining ten years after I had originally joined, hmm good name for a band Ten years later.........

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In October 2005, I bought a 2003, Gen-1, with 48k miles and drove it 800 miles home. My first fuel stop, I got a disappointing 39 MPG. Two weeks later I joined GreenHybrid because of their database and soon, the Yahoo Group "Prius Technical Stuff."

Back then, Wayne Gertes was a GreenHybrid member giving 'stars' for high mileage records but would not waive my first tank. By the time I had 'earned' my star, GreenHybrid was sold and Wayne left to form CleanMPG and I would not follow.

I remember Doug suggested PriusChat. Without a mileage database and the light technical content relative to "Prius Technical Stuff", it was a nice place without the rancor of CleanMPG advocates who were bent on recruiting from GreenHybrid. Yet PriusChat allowed advocacy not found in the Yahoo group.

Things have not always 'Violets and Roses' at PriusChat and I took a vacation. But TSS-P and back-up cameras have made that moot.

Bob Wilson

#15 bwilson4web, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doc, this isn't fhopol, you can click the little 'like' box below o/p's post.;)

#16 bisco, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Data Daedalus, RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really I'm just an ancient newbie. Looking for a new rental in July '16 I was seduced by the tech in the Gen 4 Prius and Googled. Having found Prius Chat, I never looked back and when I got mine that September I formally joined the best online community ever. So good, it's almost on par with my car! ;)

#17 RCO, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  18. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ditto for me. Was looking for info on the incredible new technology in my new car and ways to get better mileage and found this place. My avatar is my first Prius, ahem, out-standing in its field....

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looking at the feasibility of and aftermarket stereo installation ideas for my 2010 II. Thanks again spiderman and Shawnb2. (y)

20. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    October 2010....
    Got a call from my boss saying that they were going to retire my 90's Chevy Cavalier, and he showed up later that day with a factory fresh 2010 G3.
    We took a 5-minute test flight, and he drove off in my Cavalier, leaving me (at the time) to wonder who got the better end of the trade.

I drove home for lunch and my CFO's comments provided me with the call sign that I've used for the car since then.....Goofy. (The Cavalier was 'Squeaky'.....still in service in another office!!)
    As a matter of fact.....the term is used sometimes for other G3s in the area.

After about 2 days, I was determined to learn more about the Priuses....and wound up here.

Nearly 7 years, and 130,000 miles ago....