1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How difficult is it to replace the climate control screen? (2014 Two)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by herqulees, Feb 10, 2018.

1. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The screen on my climate control is really clouded to the point you can only read it at night with the dash lights on, always has been ever since before I bought the car.
    I can buy a like-new OEM one off eBay (the whole assembly with buttons and screen) for less than $50 but I was wondering if anyone knew how much of the dash needs to be removed/how involved the procedure is to replace it?
    I'm tempted to see if I can use a small jeweler's flat head or something similar to peel off the plastic "glass" since that's the only part that's bad and replace just that, but if the assembly can easily be done then that's even better.
    For anyone who isn't sure what I'm talking about it's this (P# 55900-47120):

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    These Repair Manual excerpts will help with the replacement, if you go that route.

srain, padroo and herqulees like this.
  3. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only like fifty thousand clips that could break. Other than that it seems pretty simple. Thanks! I'll give it a try to see how much it wants to fight being removed and if it's not too bad I'll order the replacement.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was in there to take a look at the interior temperature sensor (just by your right knee, as you sit in drivers seat), which of course was fine. It's crazy the amount of disassembly needed for most any access. I've seen pics of interior undergoing vent system replacement, pretty much everything needs to be pulled out.

Midway through my temperature sensor escapade:

IMG_7857.JPG

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mere seconds to change out the climate controls:

Pop up the bezel piece around the shifter. That's where it starts. Remaining pieces have easy-to-grab edges once that piece is out.

Next is piece with cupholder, continuing up passenger side to inboard side of glove box.

Next is bezel around radio, just dislodged slightly to clear the climate controls at the bottom.

Pull on the climate control until it comes out. Squeeze and unplug the connector at the back. Plug it into your replacement until it clicks. Push the replacement into place. Push the trim pieces back, ending with the shifter bezel where you started.

No tools for any of it. They'd just mark stuff up. Fingers work fine.

-Chap

6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What could go wrong?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nothing ever has for me, any of the times I've popped that stuff out.

-Chap

padroo likes this.
  8. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice to know no tools are required, my main concern was scratching/denting the plastic along the edges while having to pry something. If it's just wiggling and popping stuff off by hand that's a lot less worry.
    Plus the sheer number of clips probably gives a small allowable percentage of failures before they have to be replaced. I think the door card on my Jeep only has a quarter of the plastic clips holding it on since I replaced the speaker in it. :D

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have never had them break, and wouldn't expect any to, unless, say, you aren't paying attention, and trying to pull sideways on a clip that pulls up, or something like that.

-Chap

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had nothing break, in my foray. it helps having the repair manual sections (attached in previous post), tips you as to where to start, what to release first, what direction to pull, and so on.

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  11. palprius

palprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Herqulees, I'm wondering how doing this on your own went?

From what an independent mechanic told me, replacing the panel requires some sort of programming from Toyota, so we can't just replace it ourselves (2011 Prius). But it sounds like you were able to?

Same with @ChapmanF