1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How difficult to replace left lower control arm?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nic D, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Nic D

Nic D New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some drunk (assuming) hit my 2007 Prius one night while it was parked on the street and took off. Main impact was to the left front wheel with some fender damage. The car was undrivable as the two wheels were then pointing in different directions. The shop replaced the inner tie rod, which had been badly bent, and gave it an alignment as close to spec as they could. It drives okay except on roads angling even slightly left and especially at slower speeds when it will drift to the left. Thought that I could live with it, but it's bugging me and I'm sure will result in excessive tire wear and other issues.

The shop couldn't identify the specific problem that's causing the alignment issue. They suggested either bent control arm, bent strut, or bent frame. They want over $400 just to replace the control arm, but I can buy a new control arm for only about $50 and, from what I've seen on the internet, it seems to be a DIY job (though there is nothing specifically about control arm replacement on a Prius).

My question is: how complicated is a left control arm replacement on a 2007 Prius really?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not too complicated. You basically need to remove the front axle nut and disassemble most of the front suspension. I think you should replace both front struts while you are at it as well as the hub, ball joint and steering knuckle on the left side. When the wheel was whacked, some or all of those parts may have been affected.

techinfo.toyota.com has factory repair manual info so you can see what is required and assess whether you can DIY.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  3. Nic D

Nic D New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, but that's the first I've heard about removing the front axle nut. None of the videos or articles I've seen about lower control arm replacement on other cars even mentions it. Also, "disassemble most of the front suspension" sounds pretty complicated.

The best video I've seen is on YouTube (nIG9Z6FX7LI). The car being worked on is a Toyota Avensis, a model we don't get in the states, but the control arm looks just like the 2007 Prius one. All that's done in the video is to remove the various bolts holding the control arm. No axle nut or disassembling of the front suspension is done, unless I missed something.

I appreciate your suggestion to do a complete replacement of every part that could have been affected, but that's what I'm trying to avoid. Other than that leftward drift, the car drives fine, no funny noises, no leaks. So I'd rather try the apparently simplest thing first - the control arm. Besides I don't have the equipment (or cash) to do the struts and all the rest of that. If the control arm doesn't do the trick, I'll just live with it.

I also appreciate that techinfo.toyota has manuals (at a price). I was just hoping somebody could give me a clue.

One thing I do know is that if I ever find the drunk who slammed into my car, I'll strangle him (or her).

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you have the wheel alignment report from the shop that replaced the tie rod? Could you post it here? Maybe from the report you could try to figure out if it’s strut, lower control arm or both that are bend.

Or if only thing that’s out is camber and only by small amount you might even think of just using camper adjustment bolts (Toyota even has part numbers for these).

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like Vales post.
    Measure the adj length on both l and r tie rods. See how off they are.
    Then do what any body shop does when suspecting frame damage
    Measure!
    Measure the lower c arm relation to the chassis.on both sides from the ball
    Joint to a fixed chassis point
    Bow a good alignment shop should have seen what's whacked out if the
    Numbers didn't match
    A bent lower c arm will have an extreme error that alignment can't
    Fix you will especially notice it as you traverse around corners.
    The geometry will be off and it will feel very weird.
    Lastly have the wheel checked by putting it on a tire machine and spin it
    G2 wheels are very light and extremely easy to bend
    I have replaced 3 wheels already.

6. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A shop isn't going to use your $50 internet part. I paid $664 for two a few years back so $400 doesn't seem crazy. Still if you can do yourself all the better. Dealer says need lower control arms $1040 | PriusChat

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Listen to Goldfinger.

In the last 10 years after market suspension parts have been mostly made in china and its total crap. Moog for instance used to be great but now there suspension parts are a joke. I bought some Moog stab links from Rock about 5 years ago. The threads were so poorly cut they would thread a bolt. I tried to return them but Rock said don't bother toss them in the garbage and gave me a complete refund.

Imagine paying hundreds of dollars in labor only to find your issue is worse because you bought it at Advance Auto. Been there done that.

Buy the oem part online.

8. Nic D

Nic D New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the Alignment Report I got from the shop (after they played around on the alignment machine a few times). Figures with (r) were printed in red, otherwise green.

Initial Final

Front Caster Left 1.98(r) 0.88(r)

Right 3.27 4.10(r)

Camber Left 0.37(r) 0.13

Right -0.31 -0.45

Toe Left -4.37(r) 0.09

Right -4.56(r) -0.02

Total -8.93(r) 0.07

Rear Camber Left -1.16 -1.20

Right -1.65 -1.59

Toe Left 0.26 0.23

Right 0.14 0.14

Total 0.40 0.37

Max Thrust -0.06 -0.05

9. Nic D

Nic D New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoops! The alignment on my alignment report transposition got screwed up. Here's one that's more readable (the first figure is the Initial, the second is the Final, (r) means red):

Front Caster Left 1.98(r) 0.88(r)

Front Caster Right 3.27 4.10(r)

Front Camber Left 0.37(r) 0.13

Front Camber Right -0.31 -0.45

Front Toe Left -4.37(r) 0.09

Front Toe Right -4.56(r) -0.02

Front Toe Total -8.93(r) 0.07

Rear Camber Left -1.16 -1.20

Rear Camber Right -1.65 -1.59

Rear Toe Left 0.26 0.23

Rear Toe Right 0.14 0.14

Rear Toe Total 0.40 0.37

Rear Max Thrust -0.06 -0.05

10. Nic D

Nic D New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The shop I went to is Jack Furrier, a southwest tire chain (the closest shop I could find so I wouldn't have to pay too much for towing ). The inner tie rod being bent was obvious. They said they just couldn't tell visually what else was off. As far as I know they didn't measure anything. Later I measured the wheel position in relation to the wheel well and it's a half inch back on the left compared to the right. Turning corners doesn't feel weird at all. And I don't feel or hear any clunks or whatever. It's just that leftward drift, which is only really noticeable at slower speeds on rough roads and especially on streets with a slight leftward lean. I'll have a shop check the wheel balance, but I doubt it's the problem since I just had the wheels rotated and the wheel that was hit is now on the left rear and the alignment problem persists.

11. Nic D

Nic D New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The actual quote I got for the left lower control arm is $121.99 parts (with ball joint) and $262 labor. I don't get the labor being so high on what is supposed to be a one and a half hour job max according to what I've gleaned on the internet, though admittedly that's for Toyotas other than the Prius. Either the shop is shafting me on labor or the Prius control arm replacement is a lot more involved than other Toyotas. That's why I'm on PriusChat trying to get a clue to just how involved it really is . . .

12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Only one that’s substantially off is the Front Caster Left although I’m not sure if there caster measurements can be trusted as much because of how much they change between initial and final when they only replaced tie rod and did some adjustments (Prius does not have any adjustment for caster).

To get the caster from 2.42 degrees (minimum spec) to 0.88 degrees lower ball joint (end of lower control arm) needs to move back about 2cm or ¾”. This should be measurable with just tape measure and measuring the control arm in triangle. You should be able to compare the measurements to control arm in the other side. After measuring it you know if only replacing the control arm could fix it.

13. Nic D

Nic D New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input. I took the left front wheel off and took various measurements on the control arm. I'll compare those figures with the right one when I get a chance. While I had the wheel off I also did a thorough visual study and couldn't see any signs of bends in the control arm or anything else down there.

Just to give you any idea of how bad this drunk whacked my car, here's photos of the old tie rods next to the new installed ones. The inner tie rod got bent all to hell while the outer looks unaffected.

TieRods.jpg TieRods2.jpg

14. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or get uninsured motorist coverage, right?
    I recommend what Patrick Wong said. I did and it worked out great

iPhone ?

15. Nic D

Nic D New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to a mechanic I spoke to, replacing the control arm on a 2007 does not require removing the axle nut or disassembling most of the front suspension as Mr. Wong stated. Only the five bolts/nuts holding the control arm in place need to be removed.

My insurance would have covered it, however I had a $1500 deductible (since lowered). When I got an estimate from a body shop for $1800 just to replace the fender, irregardless of the suspension damage, I determined I could get it all repaired for much less if I didn't involve my insurance company.

But thanks for sticking your two cents in, pal.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  16. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The left side suspension is toast. With an impact large enough to mangle the inner Tie Rod End and potentially bend the control arm, I wouldn't trust the wheel bearing or the strut to be worth driving on.

You would be well served to get an UNdamaged Left Assembly out of a low-mileage wreck from breaking yard and just swap the whole thing, (lower CA, hub/bearing assembly, knuckle and strut w/spring and strut bearing) locally that would run you about $50 and an hour's work in your driveway.

It will need to be aligned afterwards, but you'd have all OEM parts for $50 to $100 and you just can't beat that :)

Paul Schenck likes this.
  17. burningfeet57

burningfeet57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base

777BETO likes this.