1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how do I buy a car out-of-state?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ashleyclark, Aug 15, 2007.

1. ashleyclark

ashleyclark Junior Member

HELP! I'm in dire need of a reliable used car. I'm in Richmond, VA and found what seems to be a fabulous 2003 Prius in New Jersey. How do I arrange to buy a used Prius out-of-state?? Does the NJ dealership transport it to a local VA dealership? Do I need to travel there? :blink:

It's a Toyota certified car. The Carfax report looks good, too. Still, I always do a pre-buy inspection on used vehicles. I guess it would have to wait till I took possession here. Could I return the car in, say, 48 hours if it's really a lemon?? How's that work when the seller is 300 miles away?

Muchas gracias! Thanks a bunch! Hope I can figure out how to finagle a good deal supah-quick.

Ashley

2. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ashleyclark @ Aug 15 2007, 11:55 AM) [snapback]496213[/snapback]</div>
    I purchased a truck in VA while living in MI. I flew to VA, purchased the truck at the dealership, drove home. I registered the truck in MI 3 days after I purchased it. The only problem I had was the State of VA kept sending me bills for thousands for dollars of "personal property tax". It took about 3 years for the state of VA to figure out I wasn't about to pay any of their state taxes since I wasn't a resident of their state.

I would image it would be just an easy in your case. Fly or drive up, inspect the car, fly back. I've never had a dealer that let you return a car after you purchased it so you are on your own on that one.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ashleyclark @ Aug 15 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]496213[/snapback]</div>
    Ashley, the dealer is not going to deliver the car 300 miles away for free. Most likely you will have to come here to pick it up. If you were local the dealer would probably let you have the car for a day so your mechanic can look it over. Once you buy the car it is yours. Period. The NJ dealer probably can't help you title or register the car in VA. You will have to get a NJ temporary nonresident tag (piece of paper) from the dealer. These are good questions to ask the dealer. Also check out the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission website: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/index.htm for the fees and requirements. Dealers are known to overcharge for the fees and taxes. If you have questions, call the MVC. Their service is good--this is not your father's DMV.

4. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Ashley, I am in PA and have decided to sell my 07 if your interested. In mint condition and have my add placed on the for sale forum here. Almost fully loaded with tons of options added.....

5. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Aug 15 2007, 11:49 PM) [snapback]496678[/snapback]</div>
    Awwww.
    Why you gettin rid of er?