1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I change Coolant Temperature Sensor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DIY2018, Jan 5, 2018.

1. DIY2018

DIY2018 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got a P1116 Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit Stack for Coolant Heat Storage System OBD code. How do I change the sensor on the Coolant Heat Storage tank?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have never done it but know where it is, have to pull the front bumper and the headlight on the drive,r side. Bumper is really easy lots of YouTube’s on it don’t have to pull whole bumper off just pull down the drivers side. 4 bolts along top and one bolt on inner fender edge hiding right behind inner fender plastic cover.

#2 edthefox5, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. For access to the coolant heat storage tank and its temp sensor, jack up the left front corner of the car and remove the LF tire. Then partially remove the plastic fender liner at the front. You will see the tank.
    2. Before you decide that the sensor needs to be replaced, first see if the engine coolant loop has air in it. If the air was not purged out of the coolant system, that will cause DTC P1116.
    3. I have previously posted on how to get air out of the engine coolant loop after replacing coolant. It is necessary to manually run the coolant heat recovery system pump. See my posts #22 and #42 plus the surrounding discussion in this thread:
    Changing engine coolant | Page 2 | PriusChat

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ BIG thanks for that. (y)

6. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Appreciate your generosity.

MickyMatter likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah next time someone's asking gen two questions, I've got something I can dive into. :)

The second gen book seems miles ahead of third gen, in presentation btw.

I suspect there'll never be a fourth gen "book", you're stuck with logging onto TechInfo? Not sure.

MickyMatter likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think it was about MY 2011 or 2012 when Toyota left dead-tree manuals behind and went all-in on online. Then a couple things happened:

• They got very, very hyperlinked, so now a typical procedure is just "do this thing (INFO), do this thing (INFO), then do this other thing (INFO)" where each (INFO) is a link to a whole expanded procedure for that thing. Works great when you're really online, not so much if you're stuck with a printed-to-file dead-links PDF.
    • They got very, very big, now that they don't have any page count to think about. The older "New Car Features" manual used to be a comfortable size you could curl up with when you had just bought the car, and learn a lot about how the most important stuff works. Now it's got sections drilling down to how they build the new maplights and doorhandles (because no editor is counting "pages" and saying "are you kidding me?") and, if you tried to print it out, would probably take three reams.

But, again, when viewing online, you just swim on the top, as my dad used to say; you find the stuff you're looking for (which is pretty much always there to be found), and the rest doesn't really get in your way.

-Chap

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Besides the dead links if they put page numbers, all would be jake.

FWIW, with my dead link, I find just searching for the precise/full text beside the link, works quite well.