1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how do I change the license plate bulbs!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bagwell, May 24, 2006.

1. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    no idea how to get the assy apart....anyone>?

Darrel>?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  3. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 24 2006, 12:09 PM) [snapback]260400[/snapback]</div>
    Wth?? why would they make this so difficult to access....?!!?!?!?

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Beats me. My last car had a small cover you removed to access it.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok... I got the panel off but I can't remove the bulbs.. no amount of twisting will get it loose. Any suggestions?

6. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They have to be twisted to release them then they pull right out. It is a pain in the you know what though.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Turn counter clockwise. If one does not turn, try the other one. Once you get one, the other one is easier due to the increase in confidence. I was stuck for awhile but finally got one to turn. I had to grab pretty hard and it did not break.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did twist! It wouldn't budge at all. I may not have the strongest fingers but they were twisting as hard as I could!

I tried using pliers but when I started seeing white on the plastic, I stopped. I didn't want to break the plastic.

would WD-40 work to help lubricate them? I mean, they're harder than replacing the headlights lol.

9. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not sure if that would do the trick or not. Try turning both ways. I did end up cracking one of mine when I changed them out due to frustration so be careful.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ughh.... why is it to bloody hard?

yeah I did rotate both ways and wiggle.. first thing I did before the lightbulb went off to check the manual for the correct direction to rotate lol. Otherwise, I might end up making it tighter!

Yeah, the plastic cover sits in the garage now. No way am I putting that back after taking it out. Fortunately, only one pin remained in the hatch. The rest of them came out with the plastic piece. But I gotta put them on before the service on Sat lol. Don't want to send the car in with trim pieces missing.

11. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You won't make it tighter though. It only turns about a 1/8 to 1/4 and then pulls out if I remember correctly. I know I pissed with them for a good 15 mins before I got them out.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 16 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]497246[/snapback]</div>
    lol.. i've spent an hour :angry:

I'm gonna go out and try again.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I give up. I swear they're superglued in or something. Even WD-40 doesn't help.

I've installed them in the front dome area instead. I really want those licence plate lights but I can't get the bulbs out without breaking anything..

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, you certainly can't make them tighter. I actually turned them the WRONG way initially (following the curled arrow in the owner's manual and all...) and got them out twisting clockwise. After I studied the first one I realized my error, and found that Counter Clockwise was the answer, of course. They really can be a bugger, but just know they will come. I used pliers. Push in a bit when you do it too, do NOT tug out while you twist. Once it turns, it will just fall out - no need to pull.

You've done the hard part getting the "access" panel off ... you can do it! :)

A question for you though: You were trying to use a bulb for the license plate that worked in the dome area? Very different bulb configuration (though the base is the same)! The license lights need to angle 90° while the domes should point straight down.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried pliers and saw the plastic turn white.. that means they're gonna break right? lol.

I'll try pushing in. This clockwise/anti-clockwise thing is confusing. I mean, when you're looking at the back of the bulb, it's clockwise.. but if you're looking at the bulb from the outside while you're twisting, it's actually anti-clockwise. So which way did you turn if I was looking on the INSIDE of the hatch look at the back of the bulb? Cause the manual said clockwise.

lol.. the access panel probably took 5 mins (had help with my bro cause I remember you guys saying that you should pull out with equal pressure on all sides... like I said, I only had one clip remain in the hatch). I've been working on the bulbs for a couple of hours over 2 days. I've tried WD-40 too <_<....

Yeah... I just realised lol. The bulb was nice and white like the photos here but I noticed it was severely lacking in intensity.... then I remembered it will only work with the licence plate and door courtesy light because of the design.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok.. after a bloody battle (literally.. I have two cuts now and both were bleeding) with the bulbs, we got it out. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.... so I called my dad in to help. After 10 mins of twisting and pushing, he got the right side out. After closer inspection, I could see why mine felt like it was superglued in. The indent for the bulbs were quite deep.

Eventually he got both out (after another 5 mins with the left side). I shaved a bit of the ridge off and liberally added WD-40 so that we won't have this issue again.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Darell!

[attachmentid=10724]
    [attachmentid=10725]

I'm definitely happy with the results. Let's hope they don't blow out (knock on wood).

Attached Files:

• LED2.JPG
      LED2.JPG
      File size:
      706.2 KB
      Views:
    • LED3.JPG
      LED3.JPG
      File size:
      704.3 KB
      Views: