1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I charge aux battery in 2002 Prius?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Cynthianne Yabut, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Cynthianne Yabut

Cynthianne Yabut New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Because I do not drive it a lot, and the weather is cold, the new battery in my 2002 Prius went dead. I can jump start it, but it loses its charge quickly. How do I connect a charger? Help!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Same way as you connect a jump starter will do. Do be careful with the positive and negative connections, don't reverse them. Connect positive first, then negative; disconnect in reverse order. Not sure skimming the first gen manual what the recommended max charging amperage is, but second gen says 3 amps. I would look for a charger around that range, not much higher.

With our 3rd gen Toyota recommends to disconnect the battery completely before charging, and in the first gen Owners Manual I see recommendation to disconnect just negative cable. I do no disconnection, and have our (mostly idle) car on a smart charger CTEK 4.3 pretty much constantly, never any problems.

Cynthianne Yabut likes this.
  3. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2002 Prius owner here. I feel your pain. But not to worry. The 12V battery is located in the trunk, driver's side, next to the left wheel well. Remove the fiber cover by prying off the three round-headed plugs holding the fiber cover in place. With a 10mm (IIRC) socket wrench, remove the bolts holding the protective plastic cover; lift off the cover. With the battery charger unplugged, clamp the red lead to the red (+) terminal (pry off the red protective cover; it doesn't have to come all the way off, just tilt it back enough to clear the terminal). Clamp the ground (black) lead to the trunk lid latch (NOT to the battery negative post). Make sure the car is OFF (i.e., no key in ignition). Plug in the charger to a convenient outlet and let it do its job. Overnight is optimum. With battery charged and car running, drive to the nearest Horror Fright or equivalent and purchase a trickle charger; attach to car battery and leave it in place and connected while the car is not in use. You should be good to go. Or, you could drive the car more! It's such a fun car to drive. I've had 21 years of good times in mine!

4. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Are you actually checking the battery voltage with a meter?

If it gets started and the battery recharges, but won't hold the charge, then it's likely that you need to replace it. If in doubt, find a locally owned, independent shop that specializes in batteries. (I have a couple of those near me). Have them test it.

You could also start with putting a full charge on it with a charger - hopefully a "smart" one that has a mode for AGM batteries. In that case, refer to the above advice.

5. Cynthianne Yabut

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you! This is very helpful, and clear enough for even a mechanical simpleton like me to understand. I plan to get a battery charger/maintainer to use when I am not driving it much. I bought the car new and absolutely love it. The only major problem was having the catalytic converter cut out of it a couple of years ago. It took months to get it replaced. Thanks again.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Even a smart charger without an AGM setting will work. I think AGM variation is slightly higher charging voltage; at least that’s the case with mine. But regular smart charging is ok, maybe just not as efficient.

7. Cynthianne Yabut

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you for your help!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Cynthianne Yabut

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Very useful info. Thanks!

9. rvgrandma

rvgrandma New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When it happened to me I had to replace the battery. I would take to where you bought it and check to make sure it is not a bad battery. Make sure there is nothing draining your battery. One time I tried that Progressive plug in to check your driving. It killed my battery within 48 hours. Anything plugged into your lighter like GPS will also drain it.

10. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    rvgrandma wrote: "Anything plugged into your lighter like GPS will also drain it."

This should not happen unless you have "hot-wired" the accessory socket ("lighter") to be always live, as I did years ago with my '02, using a jumper kit from coastaletech.com (no longer available). Otherwise, the socket is dead unless the ignition key is turned to "accessory" position. One handy thing about having the socket always live is that I can connect a 12V power source to it to boost the auxiliary 12V if it runs down to the point where it won't boot the hybrid system.