1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I correctly leave my car parked for a long time

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Andres V, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hi. Still me. I thought I made this post also to help anyone who has to leave their car parked for extended periods of time. Since we're getting close to the holiday season people may leave their car parked for weeks at home or at an airport parking lot while traveling and I'm looking for useful tips to correctly and safely leave a hybrid vehicle parked for a long time.
    In my case it's different, i started the post because myI2010 Prius has a dead HV battery and while saving up for a new one it has to stay parked. Been 2 months already. For as far as I know any car that stays parked for a long time has to be moved time to time to avoid tire ovalization and the battery has to be disconnected to avoid oxidation in case of parasitic drains. I. Case of a hybrid vehicle what else do I do? Should I disconnect the HV battery too? not that it's a problem mine is dead anyways but pretending it's still good should I? And in my specific case that is dead would I couse anymore harm leaving it connected? In case I should disconnect it do I just take out the safety plug in the back? You know the one that has to be bent and removed? What other actions can be taken these cases? Thanks.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    an old weak hv battery will likely be completely dead after sitting for an extended period

i live my car up to 8 weals in the middle of winter for the last 6 years. the only thing i do is pump up the tires to max sidewall pressure

it may be time to start putting a maintainer on the 12 volt battery though

one consideration for some people may be rodent control

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't bother disconnecting the HV battery. I would disconnect the 12v for letting it sit a long time. Technically the HV battery is disconnected every time you shut down the car- the main contactor opens.

Property security- do what you need so that people don't steal it (or parts from it)
    Wildlife security- are you likely to get mice or snakes or something moving in for shelter?

Consider adding fuel stabilizer so the gasoline in the tank doesn't go stale.
    If the car will see a lot of temperature variation, consider leaving the fuel tank full to prevent water condensation. (some models have a bladder style tank and would not have this problem, but I don't know which models)

whatever steps you do take- write them down and leave the list in the car so you can properly un-do everything without forgetting something.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. The car already disconnects it by disengaging a relay inside the battery box. You can't do anything to improve on that.

Grit likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you define “long time” such as days or years, you will probably get valid replies.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Gen 2 sold in North America, 2004 to 2009

7. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I haven't specified for how long didn't I. My car's been sitting in my home's driveway for 2 months. I'm counting at least one more month.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I second Leadfoot’s advice to disconnect the 12-volt battery as it has sizable parasitic drain due to its searching for the keyfob signal and can easily go dead as a rsult. Also I second adding a fuel stabilizer , and filling tank as full as possible prior to storage to minimize internal water condensation.
    Make sure tires are fully inflated to reduce the ovalization or “flat-spotting” of the tire as we used to call it. But in my experience that “thump-thump-thump” will gradually go away if you drive very gently for the first few hours. Expect rust on the brake rotors that can cause an ungodly crunching/screeching sound when you first move and especially when you first apply the brakes. That should go away as the rust is gradually worn away by the brake pads, but braking effectiveness is MUCH REDUCED FOR THE FIRST FEW STOPS!! So please be careful!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're going to leave your car for three months, same advice as two months