1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I find the tech specs for my stereo/nav unit?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by darwindmg, Nov 13, 2019.

1. darwindmg

darwindmg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a Gen III from 2011 with navigation and I'm having BT issues with my new iPhone 11. I suspect the BT in this car is too old to support the phone but I need more info to confirm this. Is there a place in the nav system where I can go to look up the model # of the JBL unit or the firmware version number? I tried looking on the Toyota site but their earliest information is on the 2012 model (which I think is when Entune started). Basically I'm looking to find out if there's a firmware upgrade available, otherwise I'm going to get serious about putting in a new unit with CarPlay.
    TIA,
    D

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try the new car features booklet at techinfo.toyota.com, or try the wiki page here for other sources

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    New Car Features (more info) has some basic information, but not the answer to this question.

To determine the part number of the Navigation Receiver Assembly, look for its ID number, marked on the lower left or lower right corner of the faceplate, and match this with an ID number (shown with “ID=” in the parts listings) in parts catalog Figure 86-03, Navigation & Front Monitor Display, or Figure 86-01, Radio Receiver & Amplifier & Condenser.

For example, if the ID number is E7022, it’s the unit made by Denso, Toyota part number 86120-47390. I don’t know of any firmware upgrades for that model, just the hardware replacements described in Toyota service bulletins T-SB-0054-10, “Static-Laden/Distorted Bluetooth Sound Quality” (PDF) and T-SB-0207-10, “Poor FM Radio Reception” (PDF).

4. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My, OEM style, Advent HU just bit the dust.

I had to decide between:
    1. buying a major brand and living with a generic double DIN look (without the buttons on the side) and having to using a steering wheel control adapter and JBL amp interface. The reasonably priced units have car play and android play but don't have built in navigation. Probably not an issue most of the time.
    2. buying a Prius specific model from China.
    A company called Klyde manufactures the units which get reasonably good reviews. They are the company which manufactures Pumpkin units. The newer, slightly more expensive units, come with Android 9, included DSP and (I think) a better screen.

I have one on order. I'll start a thread after I install it, probably not until mid December. I bought the canbus adapter, reseller is including a plug n play cable.

Some things I learned. It can be cheaper to skip free shipping and pay extra. Shipping charges vary, some offer expedited shipping others use slower methods. The reseller I'm using asked me to send a picture of the back of my factory radio. They vary, JBL models don't all use the same cables. I also sent a picture of the connector on my GPS antenna.

Car Play and Android Auto are available via a USB dongle, around $40-$50. You can also get either Car Play or Android Auto installed in the actual unit for around $20-$30. I decided the external adapter gave me better options if compatibility issues arrived. Plus I use an Android phone and my wife an iPhone.