1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I find the updated Navigation DVD for a 2009?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jbean, Oct 8, 2017.

1. jbean

jbean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the original DVD for my 2009 and it's outdated. I've read that the dealer prices are quite high. Is it worth it? What is the most current version? I also understand the updates come out in October.

Is the DVD easy to install or does the dealer need to do it?

2. OptimalPrime

OptimalPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Does your current version allow the "back door" method to allow entering new destinations while moving? And do you use that? If so, think twice before upgrading your maps at a dealer. The guy I bought my 2005 from, had just updated the maps before I bought it in early 2014, and the new version closed the back door. It is a royal PITA to not be able to re-route while moving. My 2017 Prius Prime allows significant screen input while moving. Not 100% of the functionality, but a lot more than the updated firmware on my Gen 2 that was unfortunately bundled along with the map update.

There are supposedly guys who know how to update the maps without updating the firmware, or maybe even mixing/matching what versions they choose to. I'm not one of those guys. I've not heard of any dealers being willing to do it, either.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dealer is the only place i know of. i suppose it's worth it if you have a lot of new roads, and depend on it. eBay maybe?
    an update is probably still a few years old.

4. jbean

jbean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ===================
    I don't think I have the version that allows entering a new destination while moving. I will test it to be sure, but I don't think so. If I want to change routes, I just do so, and the system recalculates in a few minutes. Not so bad.

Is there a chart to reference so I know which version to buy? I live in California and there's been a lot of road construction over the years. I went somewhere yesterday and the Nav System didn't recognize the address of a street address that's been there for 20 years. I experience that a lot.

5. jbean

jbean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do we know when a new update comes out? Which version is current?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the dealer would know. call the parts dept. and ask. not sure if there's another place to find out, maybe check the toyota owners website.

jbean likes this.
  7. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You also may want to consider just getting a decent Garmin system with free lifetime map updates. You can buy one of those for less than the price of one update from Toyota. We bought our Garmin with free lifetime maps and traffic for $80. The Garmin is easier to use and more informative than the Toyota system. It's less wear and tear on the MFD, too.

Prodigyplace and fotomoto like this.
  8. jbean

jbean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the idea. I'll check it out.

srellim234 likes this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It may have been sreillim234's previous advice or someone else here on PC but I took it and got a garmin refurb that is way better than OEM nav. And because of smartphone competition, these units now have more bells and whistles like forward facing cameras and lane departure warnings giving an older car some modern safety capabilities. Also, speech commands too (that actually work).

srellim234 and jbean like this.
  10. jbean

jbean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would Best Buy have a good selection, or somewhere else?

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes. My local BB had a selection to choose from. I forgot to also mention the free maps for life and, if equipped, free traffic alerts for life so you can use it with future cars or pass along to another person.

srellim234 likes this.
  12. jbean

jbean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you.

13. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure exactly where you are but here in Southern California we also have outlet stores with contracts to buy damage package, shortdated and discontinued items from Costco. It's not difficult to find them with an online search. That's where we bought ours here in Rancho Cucamonga but I've seen them over in Covina too. It's not like they normally have a great selection but there are some good deals to be found. Amazon is also another source with a great selection and fair prices.

14. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hoping you might share more about said outlet locations, as I do enjoy visiting the greater LA basin in between earthquakes :whistle:

15. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They are normal outlet stores with the contracts to clear Costco items. They are easy to find with a Google search of "Costco Outlet Stores" or "Costco Outlet Stores near XXXX " (whatever city you want)". Once you walk into them you will know you're in the right place because of the number of Kirkland items on the shelves.

Some stores are much better than others. For example, the ELS Outlet at Arrow and Foothill in Azusa is well lit, air conditioned, clean and always crowded. The secret there is to get in when they open, complete your shopping in no more than about 20 minutes and get in line. Otherwise it can take up to 2 hours just to check out.

The Covina Outlet on San Bernardino Road west of Grand in Covina is dark, not well organized, not air conditioned but also not busy. I buy things like fans, seat cushions, small appliances and toys there but I would consider the food products suspect knowing they've heated to close to 100* while they've been on the shelf in the middle of summer.

The one here in Rancho Cucamonga disappeared overnight and I haven't figured out whether or not they plan to reopen somewhere else in town. One thing that makes it difficult is that they depend almost exclusively on word-of-mouth advertising.

EDIT: I just looked for "Costco Outlet Stores near San Francisco". You have quite a few up your way. I imagine it's the same near Costco stores anywhere in the country.

#15 srellim234, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    SFO likes this.