1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I get satellite radio?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Hate_tyler, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Hate_tyler

Hate_tyler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just recently purchased my first prius. It's an 08 with the touring package. I have the button that say AM-SAT. I'm assuming SAT stands for satellite. But when I press that, I get nothing but AM radio. Is satellite radio not built into the car? Do I need to go aftermarket with an actual Sirius/XM receiver? I really don't want to go that route and would just prefer to have it on my touch screen. Thanks for your input!

iPhone ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you need to go aftermarket, but i suppose you could call sirius/xm and ask them. i don't remember any talk of satellite until gen III.

3. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Why don't you call Sirius and ask them. Just have your VIN ready to give them. They can tell you if you have it.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think it's VIN they need. It's some code that shows on the radio, when it's set to SAT. But yes, just give them a call.

My 2 cents: I'd figure out something else, say music from your phone or CDs. They are VERY tenacious if you ever try to discontinue. I don't much care for their "business model".

5. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The only thing you need to buy is a SIR-TOY & TOY-SC1 receiver and tuner. I paid ~$130 for mine, it came as a kit.

Completely plug in play. Hardest part was opening the bubble packaging the pieces come in :D

Btw, I have a 2007 with the JBL 6-disc changer radio with the AM-SAT button too. I absolutely cannot live without Sirius (loyal shareholder too!).