1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I get the Fed Tax Credit form in TurboTax?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Db17, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    After running through the TurboTax (business) steps, I can't seem to get the Fed credit form to pop up. Has anyone been successful?

2. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    If in Canada, Fed tax credit is applied at time of sale.

iPhone ?

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used Turbotax Premier and used step-by-step interview mode. All I had to do was to answer a few questions about the car. Enter VIN, size of the battery, and gross weight, and the form 8936 was filled automatically with the appropriate tax credit amount of $4502 for PP. I am not sure if TurboTax (business) has a different interface, but IIRC if the car is used for business purposes, it will not qualify for the credit.

pghyndman likes this.
  4. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ditto.

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (This is for a non-business version of TurboTax ... maybe the business version has some similarity?)

In querying the Help window, I also don't find any link to jump to Form 8936 or to the electric vehicle section.

But I do find it under the main Federal section. After finishing with Income, then going through numerous interview questions, it gets to Your Tax Breaks. Look down below past Your Home and Your Family and Charitable Donations to "Cars and Other Things You Own" (before Education, Covid-19, Medical, etc.). Open up that segment, and Energy-Efficient Vehicles is the third choice. That will start the needed interview series.

dtsexpert and Salamander_King like this.