1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I know my Prius 2008 total loss real value (fire damage pic inside)?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pri4u, Feb 3, 2023.

1. pri4u

pri4u Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello,

My toyota prius 2008 4 door hatchback Turing edition which
    was approaching 200k mileage, had great gas mileage and kept in good condition was involved in some nearby fire where it was parked and got badly damaged from fire heat from the front and firemen had to stand on my car windshield and some ceiling pieces fell on my car, it’s barely driveable, it was driving in some special mode so I was barely able to move it to another spot.

This is what the car looks like right now from the front:

C76DD65B-402A-4747-9AB4-B77E8B31258B.jpeg

It also smells like fire smoke inside the car. I don’t think I’ll be able to drive it anymore... It’s probably will be considered a total loss?

I have Geico comprehensive insurance. How do I know what’s a fair total loss value for my car and that I’m not being low balled by the insurance? Once they decide on a price, am I allowed to appeal if I don’t agree with it?

Thanks for your help!

#1 pri4u, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  2. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oof, that's totaled I'd say

Have a look for similar models with similar mileage/condition/etc for sale in your area so you have a ballpark idea of what it's worth. If you think your insurance company is lowballing you, you can show them that their figure is off.

You might be able to retain the cat after the insurance company's finished with the car. We all know what they're worth

3. pri4u

pri4u Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So should I check craigslist or kelly blue book? I’m in california, los angeles.
    I see on craigslist prices for this car range between 5k to 7.5k does that sound reasonable? How do I know what to choose, should I try to get 7.5k for it?
    In KBB I see the private party value as Private Party Range $4,154 - $6,391 Private Party Value $5,273

Also when you say that I could retain the “cat” do you mean car? I’ll be able to keep it as salvage title and sell it to a junk yard on top of that or something?

#3 pri4u, Feb 3, 2023
  4. Todd Bonzalez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sure...Craigslist, cars.com, eBay Motors. Find 5-10 adverts with similar mileage/condition/etc to yours, and find an average price (I just had a quick look, and I can see 2008 Priuses for sale around LA between 4k to 12k, so 5k - 6.5k could be reasonable). Save the ads for later so you have some points of reference if you need to negotiate with the insurance company.

Sorry, by "cat" I mean catalytic converter. They can be worth a bit of money. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it :oops:

#4 Todd Bonzalez, Feb 3, 2023
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely totaled.

Look at used car ads to see what everybody else's 2008 Prius is selling for. That's what you need to beat out of your insurance company.

6. pri4u

pri4u Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I expanded the search range on craigslist in my area to 100 mile radios found a car like mine not far going for 7k I also found one for 7.5k fully loaded like mine but less mileage... (also see couple 6.9k and 6.5k) I’m going to prepare all these examples for the adjuster... should I just tell the adjuster upfront the highest number I saw 7.5k and let him try to negotiate low ball me from there?

btw can I keep the whole car or only the cat? it’s a new brand new toyota oem cat that was recently installed also new cat miller stainless steel cat shield version 2 with deadbolt with custom screws and tilt/shock sensor installed to the factory alarm - can I keep all of that? But you say the car I have to give to the insurance?

Thanks!

7. pri4u

pri4u Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’m seeing:

2008 Toyota Prius fully loaded 165k - $6,500 (Sherman Oaks)

2008 Toyota Prius Clean Title Low Miles - $6,900 (Cerritos)

2008 TOYOTA PRIUS - Touring Edition - 45MPG - Leather Seats - LED - $7,000 (Culver City)

2008 Toyota Prius-Clean - $7,500 (Santa Clarita)

should I just tell the adjuster upfront the highest number I saw 7.5k and let him try to negotiate low ball me from there?

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You have to give the car to insurance. They will offer to sell it back to you at a salvage price- considerably lower than what they pay you for the loss.

You have the option of buying the wreck, removing parts and selling them individually or fixing the car or whatever you like. You may be able to sell those parts for more than the salvage cost paid.

But of course it's possible that the catalyst was just lost in the fire. Darndest thing.

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  9. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    When you get a total loss payout the instance company are effectively buying the car from you. i suspect that if you remove parts they will reduce said payout to compensate. Why dont you show them the receipts for the cat and shield an see if they will add that to the payout base value.

10. pri4u

pri4u Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sure I have receipts for everything... What do you think is reasonable to get given I saw ads going from 6.9k-7.5k
    a new cat oem costs like $2400 ($100 installation)
    the shield costs $374.50 USD (installation cost $90)
    and the shock/tilt sensors cost $50 (installation cost $100)
    do I expect to get installations costs too or just ad price above plus these new mentioned parts? not to mention I just recently put new philips lights hid original both for $150 ($35 installation) but I guess it doesn’t matter as they burned in the fire lol

#10 pri4u, Feb 3, 2023
  11. Todd Bonzalez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hard to say. If you want to present that as being a reasonable replacement price, find a few very similar cars in the 6.5k-7.5k range plus a few outliers on the high and low sides. Then wait to hear from your insurance company after they check out the car.

Yep I'm reading about a lot of catalytic converter thefts these days. It would be a pity if some degenerates took it before the insurance company collected the car:LOL:

12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whose insurance is paying for your car's damage? Your auto insurance or building owner's property insurance? Depending on that, the process may be somewhat different. In any case, I would at least ask for a fair market value of the car PLUS contents of the car that got damaged which are not part of the car. An insurance adjustor will give you his/her figure. Don't accept the check until you agree with the numbers they came up.

Sorry for the trouble you have to go through. I hope no one was hurt in the fire. And good luck

13. pri4u

pri4u Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    am I getting actual value price or replacement price? I don’t remember mentioning to geico what’s the default one? do they also have to pay me sales tax and license fees?

14. pri4u

pri4u Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    landlord said there is a state farm insurance for the building but I already started a claim with my geico insurance - are you saying the home insurance should pay for my car damages? and luckily no one was hurt except my car

15. Todd Bonzalez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    By replacement price, I mean "what it's going to cost you personally to get in another 2008 Prius touring".

Your insurance company will probably have a different number in mind :)

Part of the building fell on your car, so your insurance company calls up the building's insurance company and works out who pays what. You aren't involved in this.

Unfortunately, no. Insurance companies exist to pay out as little as possible.

16. pri4u

pri4u Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry not sure I follow I have geico comprehensive insurance with only $250 deductible why they will offer to sell it back to me at a salvage price- considerably lower than what they pay me for the loss? Shouldn’t they pay me the same amount the car is worth if I were to sell it on craigslist?

17. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not an insurance expert, but I think if you have comprehensive coverage on your Auto insurance, then you should claim through your auto insurance. They will cut you a check, but they will go after the building owner's insurance company to recover the cost. If you don't have comprehensive coverage, then the only way to make claim would be direct to the building owner or whoever was responsible for starting the fire.

EDIT: I missed the last part of your opening post. Yeah, you will be going through the GEICO. The adjuster will give you the "fair market value" of the car and present you with a check. You still do have to tell GEICO if there are any items damaged in the car that is not a regular part of the fair market value of the car.

#17 Salamander_King, Feb 3, 2023
  18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They should pay you what they think it was worth the moment before the fire started. That has some relationship to what it would have cost to replace like-for-like but it is not equal, and you will likely have to argue with them for a settlement you'd think of as equal.

The salvage amount would be their idea of what the car is worth, as an undriveable and semi molten problem, right now.

So it's quite possible they'll give you a check for $6-8k, and a chance to buy back the "problem" for $3k. Then it's a question of whether you think you can strip & sell more than $3k worth of parts out of it. Not everyone has the time/space/skill, but it can be a way to get a better recovery out of a situation like this. (these example numbers are just placeholders and should not be taken as estimates for your case)

19. pri4u

pri4u Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How much time do they give me to decide if I want to buy back the car for the salvage price? Can I ask some mechanic or junkyard person to inspect my car and determine if I could sell it’s parts for more than their insurance salvage asking price before actually buying from them?

20. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's different from insurer to insurer but usually the question is "where is the wreck, is it legally allowed to remain there or do we have to tow it to a storage yard with daily fees?"

So if the car is good to sit right where it melted, you can probably keep things in play for weeks. If it needs to be dragged out and dealt with NOW then you have ...less time.

Salamander_King likes this.