1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Do I Lock My Doors?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JessieK, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have to agree that contacting Toyota might well be a good idea. I think that Toyota of North America would be interested in the possible marketing advantages of some special details for the PD.

2. Dweezil

Dweezil Cat Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't tried this, but can you leave one fob in the car, and carry the other one in your pocket? That way, there's always a fob in the car.

...and even with the car running, the ICE is normally not "on" so it appears that the car is not running, thus calling less attention to itself. Also, it's a Prius. If someone is going to steal a car, I honestly doubt they're going to choose a Prius as their prime target!

3. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I could see a "Police Package" for the Prius!! I'd rather have that than the Performance Package.

4. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Insight-I Owner,

Regarding this question in your post #3 :

What kind of car was that? I'm not familiar with many new cars but I've never seen one that allowed you to remove the key with the engine running.[/QUOTE]

My 1950 Buick (Dynaflow automatic with no shift interlock) had a 3-position switch where you can keep the ignition locked in the "Lock" position or insert the key & turn it to "Off", then remove the key & then turn the switch to "On" to start or "Off" to shut the car down. I think you could remove the key in the "On" position as well, but to get the switch back to the "Lock" position you needed to re-insert the key first, before turning it back to "Lock" & then removing the key to keep the ignition locked.

We also had a 1958 Opel Record/Olympia Caravan [wagon ("3 on the tree" with no shift interlock)] & a 1967 Opel Kadett "L" wagon ("4 on the floor" with no shift interlock) where you could unlock the switch by inserting the key & turning the switch out of the "Lock" position (also unlocking the steering column in the '67), then remove the key & just turn the switch between "Off" & "On/Start" all day long. At the end of the day, just re-insert the key & turn it to "Lock" to lock the ignition & remove the key.

This feature in the 3 cars mentioned may have just been a G.M. thing though. I'm not sure if you could remove the key while the engine was running, but once you unlocked the ignition & removed the key you could turn those cars on & off at will without having to use the key (keeping it in your pocket---similar to keeping your SKS fob for your Prius in your pocket all day long).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

5. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    JessieK,

Regarding this comment in your post #4 :

I agree that using the key hidden in the fob is inconvenient (mostly because its a little difficult to remove from the fob, but PRIMARILY because you can't get much leverage on the tiny head of the key). That's why I went to our local True Value hardware store & got the proper-shanked Toyota key blank (with a large head/hand-hold area) for $2 & had them cut the 2-sided key for an additional $2. The first try didn't work, but I had them re-chase/re-grind the key & it worked fine (plenty of turning leverage now & I additionally sprayed a little "Lock-ease into the lock to lubricate the cylinder). Note : this is on my 2G 2005 Prius

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

6. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are definitely ways to do it - several people here have done it (e.g. to leave their car running with pets inside on a sunny day).

Did you try opening the window, closing the door, locking it through the open window, then closing the window and pulling your hand out before your hand gets stuck?

You should also be able to use the metal key to lock it.

7. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I really don't want to be a smart nice person. But this is so simple. Someone installed all this equipment in your police car. They know elec wiring.

Now......get that same person to find a HOT spot where you will get 12 Volts from while the car is shut down.

I'm guessing your not out of the vehicle for long.....which would drain the small 12 volt battery.

8. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I think getting a real key made is the best answer.

I also second the want to see the marked Prius police cars...really cool.

I also want to express my pleasant surprise to the outcome of this thread...I have avoided it for 2 days thinking why wouldn't someone know how to lock a car? But got curious when it stayed at the top this long.

9. Jetboy

Jetboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have a sunroof? You could lock it from inside and climb out that way. :p

To all: there are lots of reasons someone might want to leave their car running and locked. Hot days and pets comes to mind.

FWIW- I was really surprised to find out that the a/c on the Prius can run just on the battery for awhile. I've never been aware of a battery powered a/c before.