1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how do i open the gas tank door?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jordan122342, Apr 20, 2008.

1. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but fuel filler door latches seem to be fading away, particularly on American cars. Maybe they weren't there to begin with, I don't know, but I rented a Dodge Avenger just yesterday, and there was no latch or lock on the door or cap.

I noticed a few other cars (all American manufacturers) that were the same. It is noticable when there is a finger-hole or convex indention in the door itself.

This really surprises me, especially with gas prices constantly on the rise. Who made the decision to leave this off? I suppose the owner must buy a locking cap, which seems like a bit of an inconvenience to me. I hate taking my keys out of my pocket now that I have a Prius.

just 2 cents

By the way, renting a Dodge will really make you appreciate your Toyota. Try it sometime.

2. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anyone know if he got his fuel door open?

3. Hemi4Prius

Hemi4Prius Geek Girl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My Dodge Charger doesn't have a latch for the fuel door, either. But the Charger doesn't even have an indentation on the door! You just push the door on the side that the hinge is on. Crazy, huh!?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Some cars, like our Prius, have anti-siphon screens in the filler to keep people from siphoning gas.

Tom

5. tmanson

tmanson Geetar-playin' Traveler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My '99 Camry and 2008 Prius have the fuel door release lever in exactly the same location.
    I have a dumb question too... Jordan, are you blonde by any chance? Just kidding :pound:

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Toyota Crown the fuel door release is pull down on the back number plate then unlock the standard locking cap with the ignition key. Camry, RAV4, Tercel, Holden Commodore, 92 Mazda 626 all just inside the drivers door in front of the seat. Nissan Patrol under the dash by colomn.

7. Arrallen

Arrallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 1990 Buick Reatta has the gas tank door release inside the glove box, not a very convenient location, but on the other hand I can lock it up. It also has a manual release inside the trunk just in case the electronic release does not work.