1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I piston soak? Only 1 cylinder fills up.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bunce, Nov 3, 2018.

1. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure if you realize that water cooled engines operate at constant temperature no matter how hard you drive them. That's the whole point of a water cooled engine. Except on warm-up it will always run at the temperature pretty closely determined by the coolant temperature, which very closely regulated by the system. Driving hard makes very little difference in the modern water cooled computer controlled engines. Italian tune up is for vintage Italian cars, not your 21st century Toyota Prius with Atkinson cycle engine. I mean go ahead and drive it hard, but don't expect it to respond like '69 Camaro.

Also, do yourself a favor and brush up on how most 4 cylinder engines work before you soak anything or add water to anything in there. It may behoove you to know how the pistons move relative to each other inside the engine you are trying to tune up.

Also, the most likely reason for oil consumption in these cars is piston and ring design, not driving style of the majority owners. And despite what many people say, moderate oil consumption is normal and expected behavior on ICE. The amounts vary unit to unit, but most consume some amount of oil. Unless you are loosing a quart every 500 miles, I would not worry too much.

Pistons will always look black, even on a car delivered to you brand new in the dealership. They will look black after 1 minute of running, no matter how shiny they are before that first minute.

GrGramps, edthefox5 and scona like this.
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    STOP listening to the useless marketing crap from the sellers of "snake oil".

A little carbon buildup inside an engine is NOT A PROBLEM. It just is NOT.

Now......if there is a lot, such that your plugs are all black, for instance......you STILL should not worry about the carbon, but about what CAUSED IT.

Obsessing over carbon deposits often causes more harm than good.

VFerdman likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I changed the plugs on my 07 at 130000 miles I used a borescope and looked at all the piston tops and they all looked very clean. I clearly see clean metal and very little carbon buildup. Plugs were spotless too. Posted all the pictures on this site.

I wonder what I'm doing that's so different than people with carbon build up on what is a clean running car?

Also my engine doe not use hardly any oil at all between changes. The car has had high quality synthetic oil since it was new and changed every 5,000 miles.

m.wynn likes this.
  4. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've seen lots of pictures, many on this site of pistons. Few that had done a piston soak were black all over.
    Fair point on the water cooled topic, but watching engine temp on my hybrid assistant app, I'm very rarely ever at 190 degrees because the engine doesn't run all the time like a regular water cooled engine.
    And MMO isn't "snake oil" there are many instances of it working, you just have to have an open mind when researching it. Besides, even if it didn't work, all I've lost is a bottle of MMO and some time. I'm a tinkerer that likes to make improvements, many small improvements become a noticeable improvement. The car barely ran when I got it. All my little improvements enabled us to drive across country and back this summer and the gas savings offset the cost of the car.
    Why should moderate oil consumption be acceptable?

SFO and mjoo like this.
  5. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Ed. Do you use any fuel additives or anything? Why do you clean you have such a clean burning car?

6. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The piston soak is to try and get the rings to spring out, the cleaning of the piston is a happy side effect.

Rmay635703 likes this.
  7. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Because there often is NOTHING you can do to improve the situation.......short of a complete rebuild.

Why should moderate oil consumption NOT be acceptable ??
    Some engines do that when brand new. Not so many lately though.

8. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I know what a stuck ring is.......and there are symptoms that are different than general wear due to age.
    ALL the rings do not stick at the same time. In fact, a stuck ring is somewhat rare in a well maintained engine.

And as I said, it is much easier to apply MMO through the intake.
    I did that on a 1976 GM 350 with excellent results.

9. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How do you suggest to apply MMO (or water, or anything, for that matter) through the intake? Add to gas? Misting it into the air intake is not going to work since there is a Air Mass Meter in there. Adding MMO to gas is no better than adding any other "cleaner" to the gas. Numbers of tests have shown those products to be almost non-effectual.

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For water you can place place a tube on an intake vacuum point. It will suck the water into the intake that way. You just have to start with the tube closed off and slowly allow water to enter. MMO I have no idea. Either way you would want to put the engine in continuous run mode. And you don’t have the option of revving the engine like you do in other cars. You will need a light hand to do it.

#30 Skibob, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He might have kept his engine in better running shape than yours was. Carbon is caused by excess fuel I believe. Changing plugs and O2 sensors helps keep the engine at maximum efficiency.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you mostly highway, longer drives? I'd suspect it's lots of short trips, grocery runs, that make for more carbon. That's a lot of our driving, at least once in a while we're driving 'cross town though.

Not always. I monitored engine temps for a few years with ScanGuage on ours, and found it would often settle in around 50~70C in easy driving. Go up mount Seymour, and yeah, then it went right up, to around 90~95C.

13. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    First......you do not put just "anything" into your engine, regardless of the method.
    Water injection systems really was steam or water vapor.

Once you are pretty certain that you have a stuck ring, you warm up the engine, manually set a fast idle (difficult to impossible with some hybrids) and then SLOWLY pour MMO into the intake. When smoke becomes evident and it runs a little rough, you DUMP the last few ounces in all at once to kill the engine. Then let it sit overnight.

To be perfectly honest, that is an old "shade tree mechanics" procedure for an engine with mechanical valves and a carb.
    I do not know if it is safe to do with a modern engine or not.

And any true oil that is added to the gas tends to NOT burn completely and should accumulate in the upper cylinder area and hopefully get to the stuck ring eventually. 2 ounce cans of light oil used to be commonly sold as "upper cylinder lubricant". Another product that wasn't really needed under normal circumstances.

14. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    MMO will increase compression on a failing engine with leaky rings and it also helps with vacuum leaks.
    Ask me how I know.

15. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know how to do it on an old carburetor engine. I was specifically asking about the Prius, which is what we are talking about here. When you say "intake", do you mean fuel or air? Air intake on a Prius has a MAF sensor, which is probably not going to like either water or oil dumped on it. Very expensive to replace and the car will not run very well without it. In case of fuel intake, would you inject it into the fuel rail under pressure somehow or just add it to the gas tank? It seems pretty far fetched, the whole thing. On the Prius, which is the relevant case we are discussing here.

16. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can you elaborate on how to use MMO in the Prius for this to work? Add it to gas? Oil? Air? I am trying to understand.

17. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't pour it into the intake. You find a vacuum line connected to the intake, attach a hose and slowly let it suck at the surface of your chosen liquid from a clear glass/bottle so you can make sure you don't submerge the hose. I haven't looked at which vacuum hose to use on the prius yet though. But I did see several connected to the intake underneath the air box. I suspect pulling a hose off and attaching a spare length of hose for the MMO should do the trick.

Incidentally I've been running MMO through the fuel for about 10,000 miles, a very generous pour every 4 to 5 tanks of so. My pistons were still black when I looked the other day and it didn't seem to do much for loosening the rings.

I think a steam clean will be my next task (the above procedure with water). After I see how the car performs over the next couple of thousand miles.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The MAF sensor is well upstream of the throttle body. And yes, you definitely would not spray things before that. You can remove everything but the last section of hose connecting to throttle body, or that as well, shoot whatever in right at the throttle body.

19. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I reckon that the car will not run well (or at all) if you open up the air intake. I have not tried it, however.

GrGramps likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it'll run fine. There's no vacuum lines connecting, all the way to the throttle body. It'll just be a little noiser, I think. I haven't tried it though.

Addendum: there's is hose from top of valve cover to intake, and the MAF sensor. Hmm, not sure now.

I think you'd want to keep the cable to MAF sensor connected (even though it's pulled off, off to the side), to avoid a Check Engine Light. I know apart from CEL the car will run fine without MAF connected, don't ask how... :oops: