1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I start shopping for a 2011 Prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JeffNJ, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I agree- it's not rocket science. If mechanics and dealerships would just understand how much better it is to treat customers fairly. There is no need to talk down to people. People who feel like they were cheated or abused by a business will tell other people and the word will get around.

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's definately a two way street!

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with using OTD pricing. You can agree on a price then when you go to sign the final papers, they may to throw in other fee's and charges and claim everyone pays. Whether it's true or not, OTD is the only way you can compare deals between dealers. You know or can easily find out your tax rate and tax and license fees before you shop.

Edmunds and Truecar are very good sites to start your search. Also toyota.com can help track down the car equipped the way you want in your area - you'll know how much inventory is available. Even if your dealer of choice doesn't have it on the lot, they can get it quickly with a dealer-trade.

:rockon:Good luck to you and welcome to PC!

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The way things are going with gas prices, it may not be a good idea to take 3 months to start buying a Prius - there might be a shorter supply in Summer.

Since you want a high-end one, that would be a Prius Four or Five. Checkout their features at Toyota's website.

My next plan would be to go to a dealer and sit in the car(s), bring a couple good CDs. May not want to get sucked into a test drive right away, maybe the next day. You'll be choosing dealers too so maybe visit 2 or 3 of them.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In 2 new car buying episodes, I have found salespeople pretty easy to deal with and their sales managers. The ones who are a total pain in the nice person are the Finance and Insurance reps. F&I

F&I person is the one actually selling the car to you. Their job is to produce the contract and of course, they are trying to add on sales (extended warranty, prepaid maintenance, gap insurance).

In both cases, they have been a PIA, cold, one of them lied a couple times ... they have not been nice.

But, I got $500 credit for service when complaining about the F&I treatment 6 weeks after the sale by telling a General Mgr. what happened. I didn't expect a compensation, but several things led up to me calling including the F&I not including my middle name on DMV paperwork which if an F&I doesn't know that is standard with DMV, they are lame.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just happen to have a CA purchase contract here -

The initial 'total cash price' is the agreed upon price before any fees, accessories, contracts, tax, or titling.

The minimal fee is 'Document prep fee' of $55 (there are spaces for accessories, theft devices and surface prep, but I don't get those).

tax is based on price + prep fee

without other service contracts, the DMV fees are added after tax to get total out the door price.

7. metro-mike

metro-mike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Go to Costco and get one of their Fleet price #. This is a starting price, to work your way down to a better price. Go to another dealership with your new price, Costco-$1500.= your new price. Once you get the dealership to agree to "your price" not their's, when they ask what will it take for you to close the deal that day, pick 1 or 2 accessories that you want that they can throw in to close the deal. Things like mudflaps, rear cargo net, clear F/R plastic bra, window tint, etc..............

Also wanted to add, if you can buy after the 25th of the month, you will most likely get your price