1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how do you block sun glares on driver side?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by hanshinji, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't know if they will cut down on eye fatigue or not but they cut the sun glare more than regular sunglasses. Some golfers wear them. I wear mine constantly in the daytime.

2. Skuits

Skuits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I purchased a Yaris sun visor that has the plastic extension incorporated into it. I took out the plastic piece and went to two upholsterers about adding into my current sun visor. One stated that the body of the visor needed to have space for the extension piece. My thoughts were to just stick it under the fabric, he didn't think it would work to well.

I am shopping for my exact sun visor used, to experiment with. I will post progress as it happens...

3. Taphandle1

Taphandle1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hanshinji said:
    i drive at least 2 hours for my commute. unfortunately i get a strong californian sun glare directly on my face from the driver side on my way to work and way back home. yes, both sun rise and sun set gets my left face with harmful UVs. soon, my face color will be different for each side.

i called the local tint shop and their quote averages $28o (for front and back window). i have a detachable sun shade which is a rectangle with rounded corner but it just cannot cover the corners because prius windows aren't rectangle.

i could just get window tinting done and local shop, but my prius is driven by me alone 99% of times, and i just need to block the sun glares for me. has anyone done anything creative to solve this problem? i searched google and amazon for removable shade/tint for drivers window, but i guess the law prohibits from having anything on driver's side of window. any advice?

I had the same Problem and bought a set of Visormates for only $17.95 for my Prius!

4. Skuits

Skuits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm still angling for getting a used visor to experiment with. I've got the pull out piece from the Yaris visor. The local upholstery shop didn't think I could just insert it into my current visor. Hence why I'd like to get a used visor to experiment with. My concern is if I purchase a used one, if there will be a dye lot difference.

5. Firewalker130

Firewalker130 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Understand the perspective, but my last car was a 2002 chevy impala with little slide out tabs that really helped the sun glare. My 2011 prius totally sucks in this respect and for an innovative vehicle it's embarrassing to have to lean forward into the wheel to avoid the cross glare.

6. Skuits

Skuits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I finally pulled the trigger on buying a used driver side sunvisor. I lucked out and got a good one that seems to match pretty well. I will start experimenting with the Yaris slide out peace :)

I'll let you know how it all goes, so far I am into the experiment for around $55.

Mark.

7. markg1975

markg1975 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm interested in hearing how it goes. My commute is in Phoenix and it gets hot enough to melt half of my face everyday. I bought the visormates extensions and they work but it seems like a cheap duct tape type solution. The don't always slide very well and I normally hang a garage door opener on one of the visors that doesn't fit well due to the visormates extensions. I'm definitely interested in hearing something that works better.

8. Skuits

Skuits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all, I've made the visor mod. It's decent... I have a picture of the original Yaris visor body (white plastic) that has the recess for the extension piece. I'd like to figure out a way to use this half of the visor body for the Prius visor. When I spoke w/ the upholstery guy he didn't think he could open up the fabric of the visor and return it to the way it was. My thoughts were that if the Prius visor fabric could be removed and replaced nicely that one could either use the plastic half of the Yaris visor that is made for the extension, or even cut off that piece and scab it into the Prius plastic visor body.

As it stands now my mod looks OK. Since the extension is just simply under the fabric of the visor, I am fearful that the fabric will wear over time and eventually wear thin. I guess that will really depend on how often I use it. At this point I will be using it M-F on my commute home from work, so time will tell regarding the wear to the fabric.

I'd really love for some brave soul to take this to mod the next level and and find a way to utilize the Yaris piece, so that the extension fits up flush to the end of the visor, and that the slide piece fits inside the Prius visor body and not just under the fabric.

Attached Files:

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How's about captioning your pictures so we know what we are looking at? :confused:

10. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How do I block sun glares?

I glare right back with a dirty look.