1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you change the License LED? Getting Access seems very difficult!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by arek, Jan 5, 2013.

1. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    where do you buy led for 2 bucks for both?

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The LED's I bought (pictured in post # 18) are whiter and brighter than the 5w incandescent wedge bulbs they replaced. When swapping the bulbs out I did one side- turned the lights on then did the other side- that's how I know the LED's are brighter and whiter than the incandescent bulbs- I had them running side-by-side for a few minutes. If the LED's were dimmer- I wouldn't have used them.

As to why replace license plate bulbs with LED's? I just dislike filament based lighting (including florescent) overall, so where practical and inexpensive- I replace 100+ year old tech with LED's.

Next up is replacing the pathetic excuse for a bulb (mini-festoon 30mm x 10mm) they use in the cargo area of the PIP with a nice bright LED.

3. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful when pulling out the bulbs from the hole if you don't unplug the wires first. I noticed when doing mine if I'm not careful and touch metal around it there is a slight charge in there for some reason. Be VERY careful when putting the LED in if they are not in a housing of some sort. You could end up shorting the bulb. AND YES the power was off to the license plate lights when I did it. However, I think I should have unclipped the power wires first and then removed the bulb socket from the hole. :eek:

5. kmkremer

kmkremer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V