1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you prepare your Thanksgiving Turkey?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Nov 19, 2007.

1. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 20 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]542022[/snapback]</div>
    Ham

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 20 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]542022[/snapback]</div>
    :blink: :huh: whoa good question....

Turkey flavored ToFu? ;)

3. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 20 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]541924[/snapback]</div>
    The Komodo I have is the original 1950s ceramic from Japan which the BGE copied .I have had similar results as to what you describe.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 20 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]542030[/snapback]</div>
    What about the "Primo" or "Grill Dome"? Anyone know how they compare to the BGE?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 20 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]542038[/snapback]</div>
    They look very similar in design so I suspect results would be similar as well. BGE has good customer support, lots of cool Eggcessories and dealers that are fairly readily available to deliver and put the Egg together. The Komodo is a well made ceramic as well. I'd guess that results would be similar though I'd want to look at build quality and some design details like how the vents work, the fire ring, etc.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 20 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]542042[/snapback]</div>

I looked at some local dealers and it's carried at the local military stations. We have a close family friend that is retired military and would purchase one for me there if I really take the plunge. Will have to think about it. It is a powerful lot of money.

I think I'll also look a those table plans as I'd want to build a table before I bought the thing.

BTW, getting my tankless water heater installed this week.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 20 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]541956[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, I can't help it if my two aunts love to cook for me, and shoo me out of the kitchen. Not a daily affair but they cook often enough I won't starve either, good for my dad too

I bought the house a couple of months ago and had to build a deck. Code demanded 2x6 joists for the span, I went with 2x10's so it's plenty strong for that BGE thing.

I like the plans available for the table, will probably build my BGE into a table as well. Rather than truck out to the hobby farm and cut the lumber there, I'll just take the table saw and radial arm saw down here.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there goes hyo trying to stir up trouble again :lol:

9. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div align="center">I believe in being very direct. I just tell him that he's going to die!</div>

<div align="center">[attachmentid=12547]</div>

Attached Files:

10. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to look at a used BGE today. The seller has three including his new XL. If I like the condition (he said the finish is rough but the unit is perfectly functional), he'll deliver and set it up. I wonder if he's egging (!) me on, but for $200, it won't bust the budget.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 21 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]542453[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, that's a great price....
    Take a look at the seals where the lid meets the base...sometimes those need to be replaced. Check the hardware on the hinge.
    As long as there are no cracks in the Egg a roughed up finish is probably meaningless.

12. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips, will do.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i just checked out prices, since $200 is such a great deal... holy #$(& that's an expensive egg :blink:

14. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    my GF goes to Whole Food Mkt and gets one of those farm raised $3 something per lb birds, we had it last year and it had so much more meat per lb than your standard butterball or supermarket bird. as for preparing, she does that for days before hand, tradition she says having to have 10 side dishs. i do little, except sit around watch nfl, drink beer and complain...role reversal for me, but it seems to work better that way. hope she learns to do the prius maintenance soon, but thats for another thread.
    everyone have a happy thanksgiving

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 21 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]542486[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, it is. Even the other brands, Primo and Grill Dome are still in the $500-$600 range.

If I could get a used Egg for $200 I would snap it up. Even if it needed a new seal, that's easily bought and replaced. And the guy is willing to bring it over and set it up? SOLD.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 21 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]542486[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, initial cost is high...if you want to rationalize the expense keep in mind that an inexpensive propane grill will run our around $200..it'll corrode after 2-3 years depending upon use habits, storage location, etc. You may need to replace the burner and igniter and eventually the grill...another $200+.
    The Egg, otoh, will last you 10 years plus with "maybe" the need to replace the seal (I've had mine for 5 years and it hasn't needed a new seal yet)...It'll never corrode. And it will be, by far, the most versatile and best grill/smoker you've ever used...we often use it in lieu of our oven because it's so much better at cooking anything.
    And, like the Prius, it's something you'll love using and you find yourself looking for reasons to cook on it year around.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 21 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]542486[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, initial cost is high...if you want to rationalize the expense keep in mind that an inexpensive propane grill will run our around $200..it'll corrode after 2-3 years depending upon use habits, storage location, etc. You may need to replace the burner and igniter and eventually the grill...another $200+.
    The Egg, otoh, will last you 10 years plus with "maybe" the need to replace the seal (I've had mine for 5 years and it hasn't needed a new seal yet)...It'll never corrode. And it will be, by far, the most versatile and best grill/smoker you've ever used...we often use it in lieu of our oven because it's so much better at cooking anything.
    And, like the Prius, it's something you'll love using and you find yourself looking for reasons to cook on it year around.

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 21 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]542555[/snapback]</div>
    hah, no way will i be rationalizing ANYTHING like that anytime soon. yes, i much prefer to think long run (which is why the prius is still with us) but there's a line to be drawn. :lol:

19. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 21 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]542464[/snapback]</div>
    Meh, it was too good to be true. It had a crack in the bottom near where the coals go. Still looking...

You're right about total cost of ownership. A BGE, ignoring the value of the finished cooked product, would likely cost less than a good propane grill. I sold my two Weber propane grills and replaced them with the Ranch kettle and am very happy, especially with it's ability to sear. However, it can't smoke and is difficult to maintain any temp below 325F, something I'd like more often than not for true BBQ flavor.

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 21 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]542568[/snapback]</div>
    This is something to put on the way back burner as a long range really nice to have. Something for after you've settled in one place and owned your home for a while and your life has settled.

I've owned my home for 20 years. I am finishing up the last of my planned, big, expensive upgrades. In a few years, maybe for my retirement, I'm probably going to purchase one of these ceramic grills. It will last my lifetime.

I'm looking at a Primo Oval Jr. right now. I like the oval shape a little better than the BGE and it's a little less expensive. I'll be mounting it on a table in the middle so I have both sides available for whatever. I do not like the designs of the BGE tables. The table will also have really large caster wheels so I can wheel it anywhere since all of these grills weigh a ton. I've just discovered real charcoal (as opposed to the briquettes) and I'm never going back. I've never liked propane and won't purchase a propane grill. Once I buy whatever ceramic grill I end up with, that will be my last grill. I look forward to exploring cooking beyond burgers and hot dogs. I'd especially like to explore the low temp, long cooking, traditional barbeque and the accompanying rubs. I also plan on getting a brick for the grill to try pizza. Even with a brick, I am still not happy with the results in my oven.