1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you Remove 2018 Prius Four Deck Trim Side Panels?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ice9, Sep 17, 2019.

1. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have been trying to find steps for removing the cargo area right and left deck trim side panels for installing sound deadening on the wheel well exterior (cargo interior). Gen 3 procedures are cited in http://priuschat.com/attachments/p3_interior-panels_removal-pdf.18985/ (steps 39 and 44, respectively). However, this is not sufficient for removing the said panel in a Gen 4 Prius. I can disengage the two clips and the first two of seven claws securing the top of the side trim panel, but that is as far as I can get without taking the chance of damaging the panel. There appears to be additional hardware securing this panel and I am afraid to force it. The Battery Replacement YouTube video that illustrates this operation,
    (starting at 4:55) indicates that once the 10/12mm hardware is removed, the panel should come out by "gently tugging" - but again, that's for a Gen 3 Prius not a Gen 4.

Does anyone know how to remove this panel in a Gen 4 Prius?

#1 ice9, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    See the Repair Manual (more info), under Vehicle Interior: Interior Panels/Trim: Roof Headlining: Removal. There are steps showing how to remove the luggage hold belt striker assembly, no. 2 luggage compartment trim hook, and two screws, and then to disengage five claws, two clips, and a guide. It seems you are supposed to remove some other parts first, however; see the procedure under Vehicle Exterior: Door/Hatch: Fuel Lid Opener Motor Assembly: Removal, but stop before the last two steps, of course.

There is a less detailed procedure on pages 12–16 of the Accessory Installation Manual (PDF) for the towbar wiring kit sold in Europe. That manual doesn’t say to remove nearly as many parts, either.

ice9 likes this.
  3. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. I eventually was able to find it on TIS. It's the same as a gen 3 except you have a hidden claw behind the luggage hook on each panel. The hidden claw is released by inserting a small flat-head screwdriver underneath the hook (first covering the flat-head with tape to prevent damage). Also, unlike the video, you don't have to remove the left and right rear seat side trim pieces. Just pull back on them slightly so that the deck panels can clear the rear seat-back steel latching loops.

Thanx for the info anyway.

#3 ice9, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Elektroingenieur likes this.