1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Do You Think Non-Prius Owners See You?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mystery Squid, Oct 20, 2005.

?
  1. Earthy-crunchy-Mac user type

100.0%
  2. Flat out weirdo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Someone who is environmentally conscious

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Someone who is an environmentally conscious fanatic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Just an average person wanting to save on gas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Cheap-skate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Probably living an alternate lifestyle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Wimp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Bill Merchant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I thought we all used Linux and wore Birkenstocks.

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, I'm too self-centered to care what other people are thinking. :)

3. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hey. I have a problem with that statement. ;)

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Would my five twins please PM me? The HSD is messing with the hive mind... :wacko:

5. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

:) I'm sure there are good drivers in this city. I just haven't come across them yet. So maybe you're on the other side of town.
    :p

6. Sid

Sid New Member

This sounds like a good poll question:
    Should galaxee be the official Priuschat chick?
    Oh, and Bill Merchant can be the official PriusChat Bill Merchant :lol:

EDIT: to answer poll question.
    I chose the "regular guy saving money on gas"
    However, I am a Mac user by choice at home, and a Windows user at work (no choice).

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ack!

*blushing* i didn't mean to draw this much attention to myself! i was just being funny.

and i think Bill Merchant is already the official PriusChat Bill Merchant... :D

8. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    What is the difference between choice #1 and choice #2???

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: More often than not, non-Prius drivers seem to be curious, although a few (SUV drivers, incidentally) make comments like " You'll NEVER regain the extra cost in fuel savings!" -or- "Think your saving lots of trees?" Those are the exceptions. Several friends have been greatly surprised when they drive my Prius - at the quietness, no ICE at stops, accelleration, and technology - not to mention the fuel economy.

10. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Whether or not you own a CAT!

:ph34r:

11. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Though I don't have my Prius yet, I chose the "just the average person trying to save gas" option. Although to be honest, I really don't care much what other people care about me based on anything, especially not by what I drive. If I cared about that, do you think I'd be driving a 9-year old 177K mile Saturn? Nah... I'll be one of those cute young-ish ladies zipping about town in my futuristic car.

12. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's see. I've been labeled as progressive (I'd like to think so), environmentalist (which I'm not), liberal (not that either), risk-taker (sometimes), cheap (sure why not), Mac user (well, you got me there).

I have never been challenged regarding cost savings differential or hybrid premiums. Either I live among higher life forms which see the value of a vehicle as more than just the purchase price, but rather total cost of ownership, or nobody around me is thinking quite that far ahead and just enjoys a good ride.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what folks think of us. ;)

13. ckelly5

ckelly5 New Member

Everyone anti-prius keeps going on about the cost of the Prius, but every other car I've looked at in my current car search is coming out to the same price (before the 2006 tax credit and all!). I think it's a pretty good deal for a car with the number of features it has (satisfies the geek in me).

As for my type, I guess I'm a little "average person", a little "environmentally conscious", and a whole lot of mac fanatic (with a little wannabe earthy-crunchy ;))

Can't wait until January!

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I get feeling that other drivers see me as "A self righteous git who thinks he's better than me simply because he gets five times the mileage than my car and can get to drive in the HOV lane by himself and is probably a commie pinko because he didn't buy American" kind of person.

A few days ago I was driving in the right hand lane of the freeway with my father. There was a pickup to my left with their bumper level with my rear bumper. Suddenly he shot forward past me, cut across and when into the turnoff lane. He wasn't missing the lane and had plenty of room to merely take the foot off the gas and go over behind me. My father asked me why they didn't do that. I replied, "What, you mean deliberately get behind a Prius?"

15. Seaside Harry

Seaside Harry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Of course I had to choose "Earthy-crunchy-Mac user type," but not so much because of my Earthy-crunchiness as for my Macintoshiosity. As an Apple user since 1981 and Mac user since 1984, I've endured my share of, um, "attention" from coworkers here at a Dept. of Defense facility where I work as a telecommunications manager. So far, the reaction to my Prius purchase seems very similar to the way people respond upon learning that I am a Mac enthusiast. In some cases the parallels are almost eerie!

I've found that maybe 95% of the comments I get are in the form of good-natured ribbing or genuine curiosity from folks who simply don't know anything about the Mac (Prius) and why it's any different from the PCs (cars) they use. Then there's the unpleasant 5% who seem compelled to deride or ridicule my platform of choice, often with comments like "why don't you get a real computer (car)?".

I can only assume that such behavior is a defense mechanism employed to compensate for their sad realization that the operating system (Chevy Silverado "Hybrid") they've been sold on is just a poorly-executed, pale imitation of the Mac OS (HSD).

Interestingly, most of our programmers, web developers, and engineers are either Mac users themselves or at least express admiration for the elegance of the GUI and seamless marriage of Apple's hardware and software. Not surprisingly, those who have shown the most positive interest in my Prius come from this same community.

16. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Didn't vote -- no category for "engineering geek".

Love the Prius for a lot of reasons, but the HSD is the reason I got it. A bloody marvel.

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Maybe Galaxee and Bill Merchant should be featured in the 2006 Priuschat Calendar...

18. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Me either, no option for "don't know, don't care".

19. jchu

jchu New Member

Earth-Crunchy Mac User Type... but then again I am a Blue type living in a very Red State. Strong supporter of Open Source Software movement too. For those put out by the price of MSOffice should check out OpenOffice.org

20. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Yeah, but it'll have to be a platonic, split-screen presentation:

"What does this mild-mannered (except when drunk with a keychain fob embedded in his forehead), um. pre-middle-aged man from Orygon (his misspelling, not ours) have in common with this racy, self-described "cute" North Carolina college student, separated as they are by 3,000 miles, a generation and hair-friendliness?"

::flees board::