1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you use the "B" mode next to Drive?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by priusenvious1, Dec 25, 2012.

1. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You can put your car in drive, but also, you can put it in the "B" position. What does that do? How do you best use it? And what does "B" stand for anyway?

2. evebill8

evebill8 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had the same question before. The B drive will generate more power to charge the battery like you press the brake, which also means it will slow down the car. My salesman told me the San Francisco taxi drivers love to use the B drive when they go down slope. Not only they can slow down the car without pressing the brake, but also does re-generate the energy. They can save so much on the brake shoe maintenance. Hope this helps!

3. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is covered in pretty extensive detail in the FAQ, check it out

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Consider it to be like "1" or "L" in an ordinary automatic transmission. And use it the same way.

And it means "braking" as in engine braking. Which was a mistake. "L" would have sufficed. As in low or low-gear.

5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What's the difference between setting the cruise control when going down a hill, and setting B? The cruise control seems to be as aggressive as it needs to hold your set speed, using regeneration, or engine braking if the battery is full. Or just lightly riding the brake pedal to hold your speed, which does the same thing? In my opinion, the main reason it is there on the PiP is to satisfy a legal requirement that you be able to downshift multi-speed transmissions, rather than anything meaningful.

6. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, i believe all those features essentially do the same thing. the only difference with riding the brakes is that you never really know when friction brakes start being used and so it is hard to gauge whether you're overheating them or not.

7. moshi

moshi New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not in EV mode unless your battery is full. I tried to cover all the bases with the FAQ honestly.