1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you use your headlights?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by gvp1995, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    .....and they stay nice and cool because water collects in there. :eek: I have Goldfish in mine. A mini aquarium.

2. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have red and blue betas in mine. One for each headlight.

RCO and Coast Cruiser like this.
  3. MagyarPrius

MagyarPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I keep mine on DRL, and then when it's "dark-time", I turn them on completely. I believe in making one's self as visible as possible during the day, unless I'm robbing banks. When robbing banks, I use the "cloak" setting.

4. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL. It rains three times a year in SoCal, although I remember two years ago there was snow on the I-15 in Lake Elsinore just north of San Diego. In the past week we have had 4 years' worth of rain.

MichelleStone likes this.
  5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    California

Headlights

• It is the law in California to have headlights on when it’s raining, foggy, snowing or even cloudy. If you must use your windshield wipers, you are required to have your headlights on.
    • You must have your headlights on if you cannot see at least 1,000 feet in front of you.
    • You must turn on your headlights at least 30 minutes after sunset and not turn them off until 30 minutes before sunrise.
    • The California driver’s handbook also recommends using headlights on country roads or up in the mountains even on sunny days to make it easy for other drivers to see you.
    ===

I think Prius drivers are some of the worst offenders. Very rarely (never!) do I ever see a Gen2 or Gen3 with their DRL's on. (The Prius is a pretty small car, I like to do everything I can to stay visible). I don't care what arguments they throw up, having the lights on doesn't hurt the gas mileage at all.

Overall, in general, I think only about 40% of all drivers in So Cal use daytime running lights. And about the same amount when it's gloomy rainy and stormy. Makes no sense to me.

MichelleStone likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps drivers there are fed up with those who use headlights that are aimed too high. Since you are being flashed do the other drivers a favor and get them aimed

I am sure that California law addresses headlight aiming too.

EDIT In another thread you clarified that you are not flashed regularly The impression was given that you were flashed and did not care. I also apologized in the other thread too.

Those complaining about being regularly flashed need to take the issue seriously though.

#66 Prodigyplace, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you think the climate there may be changing or something? Disney's duck might disagree!

8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a strange thing CC. If you give someone a 2-way radio they will feel compelled to use it, even if there's nothing needs to be said. On the other hand, you can give some folks headlamps and DRLs to help see and be seen and for some reason they will simply turn them off. It's like they can't afford the resultant electricity bill!!! (n)(n)(n)

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the first car I have owned where you can disable DRLs. They are always on for my 2000 Tundra (part of an option with ABS) and my 2008 Corolla.

I do not see the purpose of the Off setting for DRLs.

10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my first car with them - since my 1980 VOLVO 244. Between 1980 and 2016, I've had 11 cars, all without DRLs.

11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's only USA that has the off facility!

#71 RCO, Jan 4, 2017
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If that is the case perhaps @Prius Team can enlighten us to the logic in play here.

They are Toyota US Prius marketing team.

13. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    We can't turn the lights off here in the UK, unless the car is powered off. The DRLs come on when you power up and go off when the headlights come on or when you switch to sidelights (parking lights). This means the only way we can go incognito is if we power off the car, no good for a getaway. :whistle:

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ours usually turn on when you put the vehicle in gear (Drive or Reverse) and then turn off when you power off or, sometimes, when you turn on other lights.

Still no good for a getaway, except in a Prius. Remember last year's Prius Super Bowl commercials? :LOL:

Not everyone is laughing at this Prius Super Bowl commercial - The Washington Post

And the followup:

#74 Prodigyplace, Jan 4, 2017
    kithmo likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume your DRLs are the 3 vertical LEDs. They're much less conspicuous. Ours are the low beams at a slightly reduced output. So this will test the reliability of the Prius' LED headlight system since they'll be on much more often than any other Prius in the world.

alanclarkeau and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While it's true our DRLs are smaller, the light intensity is brighter than the larger but dimmed heads and quite conspicuous. I have noticed the reflection back from the vehicle on front of me when stopped at a junction, etc.

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not like it because I am used to turning the stalk all the way to turn off the Headlights. Now I need to check that I leave the DRLs on.
    I probably drove my first couple of days with DRLs off until I realized that the DRLs were off.

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have DRLs on 2 other Toyota's but they do not have this (choose: bug or feature?). On the other vehicles, DRLs turn on when the vehicle is put in gear and turn off when the vehicle is turned off.

19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I was aware, that's exactly how DRLs worked, at least on European models.

20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I saw another UK comment that said their DRLs turned on when they turned the vehicle on, not when it was placed in gear.