1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does everyone Average 50 MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bobs prius, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I haven't noticed as I never have used the left arm rest in any car. I was barely aware they existed; I rest my elbow on the door sill. The Prius' door sill is a tiny bit sharp, but still ok for long trips, though I do notice it. I was in a 2010 Corolla and I'm sure it's "sharper". I was actually unable to use its door sill, but my left arm just feels wrong now if it's not raised up!

2. asdocktor

asdocktor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what is pule and glide and what is stage 3 and 4 ??Oh what is scan guage?

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Well i have had 3 Pris 's so far and the 2010 has done the best for mileage so far. I posted a facebook pic of a screen shot i took yesterday.

The scene; car trip for 10 days. Car is jammed packed full. Temps in mid 80's, CC set to 65 mph, AC on 74°… gas gauge say 60.8 mpg. Now on my car that actually means around 55-56 mpg. I have no complaints

1 person likes this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your previous gens were broken in. I doubt your Gen 3 is. I'd expect to see it improve over time, esp. once you hit spring.

I'm guessing that you must have a lot of city or low speed driving. CR, in their testing got the same overall mileage as the previous gen but got worse city mileage and better highway mileage than the previous gen. See Most fuel-efficient cars vs. http://web.archive.org/web/20080618...-advice/most-fuelefficient-cars-206/index.htm.

For all we know, you might be driving your Gen 3 wrong and have underinflated tires and also be out of alignment. If you seriously want FE help, I'd suggest answering http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-answer-these-questions-esp-if-youre-new.html.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    The 2010 was tuned (i believe) for freeway driving which would explain my situation. For around town driving. I have noticed no difference in any of the three i have owned

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  7. jsmithy

jsmithy Hypermiler and Freedom Lover

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I took a trip from KC to Southern Missouri over the summer with the cruise set on 70-75 MPH. The whole trip was about 500 miles. Got 50MPG (calculated) on the way down and 48MPG (calculated) on the way back. the car had 1,000 miles on it at the time.

Mileage goes down significantly if you try to make the car perform like a more powerful car you may have driven in the past...even in town where the Prius has the advantage.

8. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My mileage was doing great until this weekend... down to 59MPG. Due primarily since I've been using my Prius as a station wagon hauling lumber. almost done!

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31526171&1=235724435d&id=1470388190

After 10 days we are home. Preliminary numbers; 2803 miles 57.4 miles per gallon. Our trip back was 3 days up the coast doing the worst possibly driving 4 good mileage. Highway 1 between santa barbara in santa cruz Was absolute murder. We had 15 and 20 miles per hour curves About 5 to 10 per mile. It took 5 and a half hours to drive 150 miles. Driving it was like playing a video game and now i realize how hard it is to make a sharp left turn!!

10. LowandSlo

LowandSlo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried driving for max mpg and I can get 50 mpg or better but I drive it normally on my regular 280 mile trip over the mountains on the freeway at 70mph and 75 mph speed limits in AZ with the airconditioning on almost all the time and get an honest 45 to 46 mpg. Beats the heck out of 17 to 18 in my Tundra on the same trip.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    On the last tank was done with a time crunch and most of it was done at 70 mph along with some hilly coast driving. Currently it says 54.3 mpg but until I get gas I wont know the real figures but will probably be around 49-50 mpg and I am ok with that

12. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I have yet to have a tank below 54 MPG, from the beginning of ownership. But I bought in mid-April, and haven't been through a winter yet.
    Just the past couple of days, with temps in the low sixties, I've noticed a bit of a fall-off.
    I think I'm going to hate winter in the Prius.

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hate? I hurts to see it go down but I still get 45-47mpg during the winter up here (AK). That is still almost twice as much as my Camry got during the same time. That is good enough for me. Relax.

14. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cannot get past 53mpg. My car seems to have plateaued there. I always drive my car in Eco mode. Actual Eco mode not normal mode. I also use pwr only when on the highways. This is probably what keeps my mileage good albeit Eco mode is very very sluggish.

I don't hypermile or compulsively drive to max out miles. I would probably crash into someone paying attention to that. I'm sure as the weaver gets cold I'll probably drop under 50mpg. We get fierce winters here.

15. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah this winter will be my first for the Prius. Not looking forward to driving in the snow with my new car.

16. Ultrasynthetic

Ultrasynthetic New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably heard it before.. but make sure your tires are inflated 40psi in front and 38psi in back... make sure they did not overfill your oil when you got an oil change... cause the oil gets sucked into the air intake manifold and gunks up things. And every oil change I have ever gotten they overfilled, and that takes down my mileage by at least 5mpg. I am averaging about 45-48mpg at this time myself.

I got new tires and it makes a world of difference too.. cause the manufacturer tires are really crappy.

I recommend: 195/60R15 goodyear tripletred -seem to be very good.

You roll off the lot with crappy 185 width tires... but everyone says a wider tire is MUCH better and much more controlled and quiet ride.

17. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also use EV mode to get home from town, because it's almost all downhill, and I still have about 40-50% charge left when I get home. Those warning about using EV mode should consider how much charge is used instead of just saying it hurts MPG. That EV drive home certainly *helps* my MPG. The ICE doesn't start immediately for the next trip, either.

18. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have yet to need the PWR mode - Normal mode provides plenty of power on the highway. Stay out of Power mode and you should easily break 55mpg.

19. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I never use PWR mode. I just push down harder if I need it. Still, our tanks are consistently high 40's doing mainly city driving with very little gridlock traffic; mainly well flowing traffic. Tires well filled. AC always on. On average probably brake too late. To brake gently enough to not hit friction brakes, especially down hills, one really has to begin the process pretty early.

20. PrivateJet68

PrivateJet68 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a gen 3 2010 prius, I consistantly average 52mpg. It drive from Cape Cod MA to northern NH... through Boston traffic and the white mountains.... My mileage always goes higher in stop and go traffic and falls when I'm cruising the highway @ 85 MPH.... Rain seems to take away a few miles but I rarely fall under 49 MPG. It's a 300 mile trip either way. I once averaged 63.9 miles on the trip, but that was with a 40 mile back up of stop and go traffic, I had to chuckle as I quietly scooted by SUV slurping up the gasoline while I felt like mine was almost producing it... I've had my Prius 15 months and have almost 70,000 miles of care free driving...