1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does everyone Average 50 MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bobs prius, Sep 11, 2010.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i dont know. longest i drove all at once was 55 miles and it told me i had 27 miles left and that was mostly freeway with temps in mid 30's.

in the pic i took this morning this is estimate based on previous performance in "eco" mode. now if i switch to drive, the range drops to 103. turn on defrost in eco it drops to 95, 90 in drive mode.

so it all makes a difference. i am planning a RT of around 105 miles for Leaf owners meet Feb 5. but i will drive up early, plug in at the dealer for about 90 minutes, then continue to meet. this should give me enough.

now there were two Cali dudes who drove 109 miles home with their Leafs and they did the same thing, stopped at a dealer for a 90 minute charge. both said they had 10-15 miles range left so we shall see.

if i have problems, i will stop in Tacoma on the way home to charge again, but i dont think i will need that

Attached Files:

2. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dave, if its OK with this forum could you please
    keep us up to date with your Leaf.

I know at lot of us here in this Forum are interested.

Al

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So Dave's answer now is that he drives 50 miles and then pours a gallon of gas onto the ground. :D

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh no!! 50 miles? that is only ½ a gallon!

1 person likes this.
  6. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've placed an order for a 120 volt digital inflator/compressor so I can keep my tires properly inflated. I can see that's one key to getting good mpg's.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    get the 12 volt model. bit slower but portable and if you do any camping, the power supply can come in handy. i have an all in one jump box, emergency flasher, compressor, 12 volt power supply.

and yes, inflate to 42 PSI front, 40 rear and you will add a few mpgs

8. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I already have a power inverter and flashing lights. I don't do any camping. Nope, I want the 120 volt plug-in kind. More powerful, faster, can get it done quickly right in my driveway. Besides, I placed my order already!

9. ashishv

ashishv New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello List,

i had posted earlier (first week of Jan) that i am getting 48 MPG... seems like that was just instant consumption as shown by the car computer.,.. when i trend my last month, almost 3000 miles, i get a consistent average of 43 MPG... nowhere near 48 MPG..

now granted it was Frigid cold here in maine, & my drive to Mass is not let's say driving in IOWA... it is up and down and few steep up and down and ... Although 98% of highway miles
    i am driving on an average 600-700 miles per week (hence the switch to prius from civic).

Question:
    - Is it possible to some hoe increase my MPG's.tire pressure are defaul (out of dealership)

what all steps can be taken to improve this 43 MPG to more satisfying 48 MPG....

thanks
    Ashish.

Prius Details:

Gen III, Type 3 with JBL+BT
    Metallic Blue

10. CTitanic

CTitanic Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Averaging 50 MPG everyday in my opinion depends a lot of your route. In city routes I average normally 47-49 MPG. If I'm hipermilling I can get 50-51 in my usual route to work. But hipermilling is not fun. So that's something that I do not do everyday.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please start a new thread w/answers to http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-answer-these-questions-esp-if-youre-new.html.

I don't know where in Maine you are, but from 10 Day Weather Forecast for Augusta, ME (04332) - weather.com, I see that in Augusta, temperatures are all subfreezing and in some cases, below 0 F. What were the temps when you got higher mileage?

There are lots of things you can do to help improve mileage such as proper (higher) tire pressure, proper oil level, better heater usage, grille blocking, engine block heater, better driving techniques and better choice of routes.

"tire pressure are defaul (out of dealership)" means nothing. It could be way overinflated or way under.

12. MichaelJ

MichaelJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've noticed the Prius windshield fogs up easy. More so than other cars I've driven. As a result I have to run some warm air from the a/c to defrost. I bought my Prius end of last September. Therefore I'm still learning myself. But, back then the only time it would fog up is during the really humid days, and during rain storms.

Does everyone else notice this with their Prius's? That it tends to fog up fairly easy.

I try not to run the a/c too much but this Winter is tough, so I have no choice to use it.

I too try to squeak out the most mileage that I can. It's kinda like a challenge when I drive that is fun.

13. ashishv

ashishv New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks will start a new thread as suggested, i live near portland, maine. temps here are cold may be few degrees warmer than augusta... but STILL COLD .:(

the best mileage (one fill to another) was 43.8MPG; i believe that week temps were in range 27-34. but since then it has been really cold.

thanks
    ashish

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i live in the pacific northwest where the humidity is essentially 99.99% nearly all winter long so ya, i know what you mean. but hey, there is an on-off switch.

and ya, that means turn it on, run it 30-40 seconds. turn it off for 3-4 minutes, turn it back on.

now that is typical, on the 100% humidity days, sometimes i have to toggle it on a minute, off 2 minutes. now when i parked my Prius in the garage (Leaf now has that privilege) i noticed i could be almost halfway to work before defrost is needed.

the other thing i see is that, i run heat so little (its just not that cold here) that moisture tends to build up inside the car. taking a towel and wiping everything down a few times helps too. the back window (which is not the greatest view anyway) collects moisture because i only run the rear defrost long enough to clear the mirrors.