1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does the average mpg work?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by windstrings, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I don't find per tank MPG informative, especially as the tank capacity is variable.
    Instead, I reset at the start my commute (or other trip).
    Then, I'm comparing apples to apples.
    In this way I improve my driving techniqe by noting the effects of the lower number of variables affecting my MPG.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure if it even is about "per tank"now..... if you hit the reset, it seems to just reset wherever your at?
    My wife accidently hit reset when cleaning finger prints off.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

what I find interesting in John1701a's mpg graph is that it totally flattens out after about a year. Just like the lifetime mpg on the mfd. I just reset the trip odo and look at the gas guage and I can see if something is drastically wrong. As it's all on a spread sheet if there is a drastic drop in mpg I'll just print it off and take it to the dealer. When people ask what kind of mileage do you get with that thing I look at the readout and tell them. I't as close as damn is to swearing. To each their own though.

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can confirm that an 06 does not reset after each fill up.

I like the GreenHybrid.com thing in my sig. I just get a recipt of every fill up and write my milage on it. I just put it aside and enter it when I get home. that is a good way to track your lifetime. It is about .5 MPG off of what my MFD says.