1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Does The Nav System Know Things?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by John6012, Jun 18, 2018.

1. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Drove from OKC to Wichita this past weekend and the Nav system was telling me that there is a detour ahead, road construction etc. How is it doing this? Is it feeding off of my cell phone sine they are linked?
    It isn't connected to the internet by any means unless it's using my cell phone.
    This is a mystery to me, I can't find this info in the manual although I will admit I haven't read it religiously. It has to be using my cell phone....right?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HD radio transmits traffic and weather information. Traditional FM radio does too on a “subcarrier” which is inaudible. My Garmin Navi uses the latter your Nav uses the former. Generally limited to medium to large metro areas.

Something like this: Total Traffic & Weather Network - Radio / Television / Navigation / Interactive Data Services
    J

#2 schja01, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  3. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the reply, I thought there was something working in the background and now I know. It's a sneaky system.

4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    John, be sure to update your vehicle type in your PriusChat profile so we know what you're driving. It helps others here give you more accurate answers.

5. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    in the premium/advanced model there is a little HD symbol in the upper right button/symbol area that shows if it's receiving HD traffic info.

6. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mark57, thank you for reminding me to update my info. I just did it, funny thing, I lost the little curved graph on the windshield and I tried as hard as I could to reinstate the graph but couldn't find nay info int he manual. Finally, found out per the manual that if the HD button is pushed it affects the graph. I have found the curve and it's in place!

Mark57 likes this.
  7. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My knee has done this to me several times. It's also turned off the auto high beam switch not that I use it much.