1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how does the Prius drain the traction battery in park?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by oil_burner, May 6, 2019.

1. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Something I don't quite understand, when the car is in P and the engine is on, it draws about 2.5 amps from the traction battery. If I rev the engine up in P by holding the gas pedal down, the draw actually goes up to 5-6 amps. Today after a long downhill I stopped at a red light and the engine shutoff. Then the car turned the engine back on and held RPM's at 3000 or so while my foot was still on the brake. I was wondering what the heck was going on until I realized I had full green bars and the car was trying to discharge the battery.

Yet if the car is in D and I apply both the brake and full throttle, the main battery will charge. I'm trying to understand the mechanism behind the drivetrain here, why does increasing RPM's while in P actually drain power rather than charge?

2. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

It can charge in park (in particular when you first power it up).

In park, you can rev the engine - it could charge but the computer usually just revs the engine freely. This is partly due to software that can't (yet) be changed.

In drive, the engine and MG1 and MG2 are connected and no mechanical locks are in place anywhere in the HSD. If you put your foot on the brake and accelerate, all the engine goes 'to the wheels', but they don't move, so the only place it goes is into the MG1 and MG2, charging the battery (warning - it can charge very fast and may not be good at all for your battery doing this too much).

Regarding the current draw based on engine speed, I am not completely sure. However, what I have found is that, if doing pulse and glide, when 'gliding' with no current draw to the motors, I use about 1HP from the battery, but if I put it into neutral, I use about 0.3HP. So, the most efficient pulse and glide is to go into neutral during the coasting section (probably not the most legal, but anyway).

I think part of it is that, when in drive, the car uses more energy to have the engine 'ready' to be used. I don't know, but maybe it pumps the coolant faster, or powers up more parts of the engine computer or something. I neutral while rolling it always uses less power.

When revving the engine in park, I assume that, the faster the engine spins, the more electrical work all the electrical systems have to do (including water pump if nothing else), so they consume more power.

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think things like water pumps, the inverter, ac or heat still run when the car is in park.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes but.......having the engine run (and rev up) when there really is no obvious need for it to, can some times be a sign of your HV battery going bad.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depending on the model year all 4 of those are electric (on the PRIME). The Gen 4 still uses ICE heat.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a Gen 2.. so water pump is belt driven.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    that's what I don't understand, there is some mechanism that allows the car to draw more current to discharge the HV battery when reving higher in P or D when stopped. It surely isn't the water pump that would just consume more fuel, I doubt it is the inverter since that pump is electric.

It's not the starting action of the engine either, because if the objective of the ECU was to discharge the traction battery that way it would simply start/stop/start/stop repeatedly. Instead of starting the engine and revving it up. Come to think of it, it's rather strange since the ECU could turn on other sources of current draw like the radiator fans rather than rev the engine.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'm thinking back to the Power Split Device... the engine is running through the planet gears and MG1 is connected to the sun gear. If the ring gear (MG2) is not rotating, then in order for MG1 to spin forward (to draw power from the battery), the planet gears will have to spin, thus the engine needs to run.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's no easy way to tell by the sound whether the engine is spinning MG1 or MG1 is spinning the engine ... as shown by the number of threads where somebody whose engine isn't starting will post "my engine starts and runs fine for n seconds and then stalls".

Not to mention the sort of in-between times where the engine is just idling, MG1 is freewheeling with no appreciable power being claimed or supplied, and the battery is just discharging at the rate of power being consumed by other things.

psymon100 likes this.
  10. TerryM

TerryM Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Correct me if I am wrong , but doesn't the ICE spin as a air pump when SOC is too high. Seem to remember reading somewhere that by cutting fuel and spark, MG1 could turn over the ICE to burn off excess energy from the battery. Scangauge would show engine RPM revving but without fuel and spark it would drain the battery instead of charging it.

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That happens in Brake mode.

12. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The HV battery could be going bad.......in effect, self discharging, making the system think it needs ADDITIONAL charge and thus reving the engine to accomplish that.
    Many, many owners have reported similar behavior as their HV battery gets weak.

AND.....anytime something "unusual" starts happening, it is a good idea to check the 12 V battery and it's connections too.

13. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've checked the 12v and its fine, the engine is revving and torque shows the traction battery using power, not charging. As I said it was full green bars.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's no need to overthink or worry about a problem with the car ...

If you tell the engine to rev in P, it will rev, because you're telling it to.

If the battery needs charging, it will direct some current into the battery. If it doesn't, it won't. If it's above the charge level target, it will use up charge.

All in a day's work if you're a Prius.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    that's not what I observe, reving the car in P will increase the rate of discharge vs idle which leads me to believe the system is not as smart as one would believe.

16. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OR that something is failing (HV battery) and causing an unusual result and symptom.......that wasn't really a part of the "engineering".

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Increase the rate of discharge" suggests the car was already discharging rather than charging, probably because it judged discharging to be the thing to do at that moment. You asking it to spin the engine faster gave it a convenient excuse to increase the rate of discharge.

The car does also charge, when charging is called for, right? If that never happened, it would have no charge at all by now, no?

If you wait for a moment when it is idling in P and charging, and you push the go pedal, does the rate of charging increase? (At least until the car decides no more charging is needed?)

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe "Drain the Battery" is the wrong terminology?
    I believe HSD, will drain the battery ( use battery power ) or charge the battery, based on a lot of factors that it recognizes as it is being used. Therefore, I think it correct to say, being in Park, will place demand on the Hybrid Battery and/or Charge the Battery, as the system see's fit. But the system is active in Park.

My understanding, and correct me Prius Chat collective, if I am wrong, is the only time HSD is incapable or doesn't charge the battery is when the vehicle is in neutral.
    Which is why you have the occasional story of a Prius going through a ride thru car wash, and getting the low battery warning.

Mendel Leisk likes this.