1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does the prius handle water, puddles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Echoezra, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had read another thread about a prius shutting down after getting caught in a thunderstorm. Ruh roh. now i wasnt clear if the problem there was directly from the rain or from running on battery only afterwards, sounded kind of like what I've read happens after gas run-out. Anyways, the point - We do tend to get lots of rain here and I don't have a garage, so if I get this new car, she's going to get wet - a lot. I wasn't that concerned about getting rained on (unless I should be??) but I was more concerned about my driveway - long, gravel, lots of pits that become huge puddles I have to drive through - how is Prius with getting splashed from underneath from deep puddles? I've never had a problem with any other car here, but I know these guys seem to be special in certain ways. Should I be worried about anything in particular?

2. Quaggmire

Quaggmire New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have only had my prius for about a month but i have had no issues with water. We just started teh raining season(or orange barrel season) here in MI so only time will tell. My traction control light flashes at me while hitting bumps and braking or going through a nice size puddle but i would think most cars do taht though.

3. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I'm right across the border. Splashed through a huge puddle this morning driving my kid to school and started thinking "ohh I better ask.."
    Just wondered about what could be damaged if water got splashed into something under there, I don't know how well things are sealed off or whatever.

4. GoesStation

GoesStation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It rains quite a lot in Japan, where the Prius is engineered and manufactured. I wouldn't worry any more about driving mine through the kind of puddles and shallow standing water you're likely to encounter on the road. Naturally you shouldn't drive into a flooded part of the road, but that goes for any car.

5. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that's pretty much what my driveway gets like, is flooded. Some of those puddles are several inches deep and a a few of them are several feet long too.

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My wife drove our 2004 Prius through a flood (almost a foot deep!) in New Jersey and made it through. I would not have tried it. Electricity and dirty water do not mix well.

As in most cars, water near the coils or plugs can stop the engine, Water taken into the air supply to the engine WILL destroy the engine, and water above the wheel hubs can shorten the life of wheel bearings.

JeffD

7. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Tampa and we get torrential down pours and street flooding. I see Prii booking right along like it is nothing.

8. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok... So where are all these spots on the car - particularly that air supply intake that WILL destroy the engine! Lol. I'm just wondering the chances these puddles would splash up to that spot...

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Most cars (and our Prii) have their air intakes at the level of the top of the engine. It is not likely that a "splash" would be a problem. One of my students installed a "Cold air" intake in his truck and soon thereafter had to rebuild his engine.

JeffD

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius is no different than any other car in the rain/puddles. driving through standing water that could enter the high voltage areas could be hazardous to your health, or at least the car's. but that would be some pretty high water. a vehicle that had problems with rain, snow, or puddles would not sell very well.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, aka hydrolock. Water doesn't compress very well compared to an air/fuel mix.
    I wouldn't be concerned about a few inches deep.

I live in the Seattle area w/my Prius for about 1.5 years. As you might've heard, it rains there a lot. No problems.

Toyota's sold over 5 million hybrids, most of them Priuses. You think if there were some inherent serious problem w/Priuses and water ingestion that there'd be some media attention coupled w/poor engine reliability ratings in Consumer Reports, right? Neither has happened.

I guess if you really want to drive a car thru deep water and not fear water ingestion into an engine, you could buy a car w/o an engine (e.g. an EV). See
    . Not sure how soaked the interior got though....

300 mm = 11.81 inches

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That story with the thunderstorm... I believe there was water that was splashed and got as high as the hood. that's where the problem lies.

I drove through water that was just below the door sills and it's fine. (Hail blocked the drain then the rain followed after so it just flooded like you wouldn't believe). The Prius' ground clearance is 5.5 inches so there was at least 5.5 inches of water (probably more like 6 since it was nearly up to the door sill and the ground clearance is simply the lowest point of the car)

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    For reference (hope he doesn't mind), Tideland lives in an area of Canada that's just about as rainy as the Seattle area.

14. GoesStation

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple of inches won't hurt anything. I meant you should never drive into a road which is submerged under water which may be flowing. Several people get killed each year in the US by discovering the water was deeper and faster than they thought, and I'm sure dozens of cars get destroyed that way every year.

As long as you don't get a lot of water into the engine compartment you should be fine. The Prius has a relatively low 7" clearance, but that should be ample to drive through a three- or four-inch deep puddle.

15. GoesStation

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you drive into water deep enough to draw a significant amount into the air intake, you've got a lot more to worry about than the car.

I knew a guy who drove his pickup into a flooded street and destroyed his engine. The engine backfired while the tailpipe was submerged; that drew water through the exhaust system into the engine which immediately seized.

16. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    No. Splash it all you want. (I do) Don't go in water that's higher than the belly of the car. (They're not good boats)

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just drive it like any other car. Don't go through water that is deep enough to get up to the doors, nor deep enough to cover the hubs or the exhaust pipe.

I have driven our's through some pretty good thunderstorm's and haven't had any problems. But I do not drive through standing water. I flooded a truck several years ago. It was my pride and joy. The insurance company totaled it. Since then, I turn around if I see water. I don't drive through it.

Like ken said above, the Prius is not a boat. ;)

18. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You can easily check the engine air filter and the inside of the air filter box for water. Here is a photo with the lid of the air filter box indicated:
    [​IMG]
    The lid is locked with a few spring loaded latches around the perimeter. Just unlatch them and open the lid and remove the air filter inside to inspect for water entry. Remember to put the air filter back in the same orientation and make sure the rubber gasket is seated well before putting the lid back on.

The ignition coils are on top of the engine, in the area in between the air filter box and the relay box indicated in the picture above. You may need to temporarily remove the relay box for better access. Here is a photo of the coils:
    [​IMG]
    Once you disconnect the wires (mark which is which first) and remove the bolt you can pull the coils out to check inside the wells for water. Good luck!

19. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome thanks for the pictures, labeled pictures really help a non-car kinda girl. :)
    I don't need to use them yet, as I don't have a prius yet, was just making sure a prius and my lame driveway were going to make an acceptable team. But this will be helpful if i do have a splashy day, as well as soon at the dealership, as I wanted to check that air filter before purchase and only had a good description of how to do so, so this picture helps even more, thank you.