1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How easy or hard is it to remove the back bumper?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Godiva, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I did a search and couldn't find any directions.

How easy or hard is it to remove the back bumper and put it back on again?

I've got a dent and want to take it out. I do not want to pay over $600 for a new bumper. At least not now. Not even concerned about the paint as it's the corner and very low. But I do want it out. I know I'll have to use a heat gun and push from the inside. That means taking the bumper off. Then putting it back on again.

Am I biting off more than I can chew?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, it's not REALLY hard- says DH. you have to know what you're doing or you can break body clips in the process. they are available to buy at the dealership if you do break some though.

you might be able to pull that bottom skirt down enough and reach your hand up to push it out.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think I already tried pulling the skirt (the black rubber shield across the bottom?) down.

It's in the corner and attached on two sides so it doesn't move much. And when I reached my hand up there was something in the way.

Is there a way to get the skirt off and then put it on again? Or is there any space where I could put a stick or something up to push the corner? It's the very corner and at the bottom. It's not big or noticeable but it is noticeable to me and thus annoying.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the skirt's easy to remove? If so, I might just do that every time I wash the car. There's so much sand that I have to run the water for 30 secs or more before the water becomes clear.

sorry about the slight deviation. Back to regular programming!