1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How far can you go on 1 bar (mileage/tank)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rrolff, Oct 23, 2009.

1. hschen

hschen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I am that someone who intentionally do not refill until absolutely have to. I have always planned how far I can drive without refilling. It's just me. For Prius, I usually go to refill after no bar, unless I am not sure I can get to a gas station in time. For all these years, I only had 1 close call on my Astro van that it rolled into the gas pump after engine stopped for no gas. My passengers remembered that experience the rest of their life.
    So, based on this thread, I can drive almost 100 miles after no bar assumming my mpg was 50.

2. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Stop badgering people for running out of gas. Most of us aren't as good as you. All you need to understand is that it happens.

My best solve of the problem is to have an uncancelable sonalert go off until you put the car in 'P' at the closest gas station.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This makes sense as my fuel exhaustion tests included traction battery travel in two cases. The third case, I detected fuel exhaustion before traction battery exhaustion.

Bob Wilson

ps. Sorry, I didn't see this thread the first time.

4. Prisearchus

Prisearchus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear Bob,

like you I did three fuel exhaustion tests and calculated the quantity of gas in the tank at the first blinking of the last bar. My results were always close to 9.1 litres i.e. 2.4 gallons.

I assume, that the difference to your results (about 2.16 gallons / 8.18 litres) might be due to the fact, that you based your calculations on the mpg-values as indicated by the Prius computer.

It is known, that the fuel consumption display of the Prius is not showing the real consumption. I saw, that you yourself did some research on this and that your actual mpg seems to be between 9 % and 12 % lower than the indicated mpg (see thread: "2010 Toyota Prius FCD Inaccuracy", #54).

So if you didn’t take these inaccuracies into account in your three tests, this could well explain the difference between your calculations and those I did. On the other hand, if you did take them into account, this would mean for me some further sleepless nights in search of an alternative explanation.

I don’t think that traction battery travel is significant for the calculation (as you assumed in your last post), since the Prius computer takes this kind of travel into account automatically, when calculating the mpg. So I can’t really explain the findings of Japanese Prius owners (7.5 litres / 1.98 gallons). Perhaps the bar of a Prius, that is sold in Japan, starts blinking later, because the software or the hardware installed are somewhat different.

5. Scully

Scully Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm only getting 35 miles per gallon for one bar I don't know why I don't know how to drive my car I guess

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're fine

7. okan

okan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hope I'm not too late for this discussion,

I drove the car 71.2 miles with 1 bar, shell nitro+ gasoline in it. Mostly highway, in the city, always slow on the gas and tried to use charging as much as possible.