1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How far can you go on electric power.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by b100, Sep 28, 2016.

1. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering how far you can go on just electric power.
    Today my battery was green (8bars).
    And i drove 2.9kilometers (1.8 miles) with 55km/h (34mph) just on electric.
    Didn't use the EV mode let the car decide when it was time to charge. The ICE came on at 4 bars.
    How far did you go on just electric power?

2. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i don't have an EV switch. from Yucca Valley to Joshua Tree i end the trip with a full battery. From Joshua Tree to Yucca Valley, and 8 green bars to start, i get to 2 or sometimes 1 purple bar before getting half-way up the slight grade.

Of course, the ICE is always running because I'm at highway speeds.

b100 likes this.
  3. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depends on the charge, and the speed on ev. Could be as little as a mile, could be 2-3 at the most.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on flat ground, with little wind and nice weather, i used to get a mile or so at 10-15 mph.

ct0304 and 'LectroFuel like this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Believe the car needs to totally warmed up (Stage 5) to get much EV. Its maybe 2 miles and 40 MPH max if I recall.

6. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last time I ran out of fuel during a unexpected late night trip when gas stations were closed, I made it 3 miles on electric before it shut down as I coasted into a 24 hour station. It quietly held about 45 mph with only a light throttle input, but I didn't want to go any slower and lose speed. I'm pretty sure I didn't have nearly a full charge when I ran out either.

7. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Woah that's far! I'll be lucky to get half a mile on my 05. The battery goes to purple sitting with the A/C on for 2 minutes!

aaroncv3 likes this.
  8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep I can relate to that Lectro.

My poor old battery now has 282000 km on it (driven a lot in hot weather) and is certainly showing it's age. From a normal (6 bar) state of charge I doubt I'd go more than about 1km (5/8 miles) before the bars start dropping rapidly. She's still plugging along and getting good fuel efficiency though. :)

9. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, my a/c was on auto.
    I think the battery is in good condition.
    Car has 209000km on it from 06.
    But in the netherlands its all flat and good climate for a battery.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, auto AC in the prius can be pretty efficient if you don't have the temperature set too low, and your results of 2.9 km sounds about right for a battery in good condition.

Of course if a lot of downhill is involved it changes everything. Even with my nearly worn out battery I have one stretch near home where I can get 5.5 km all on EV if I'm lucky enough to get all green traffic lights my way. That route includes about 90m of decent however.

Also, even with a battery that's fairly well flogged like mine, from an all green bars maxed out SOC I have still gone up to 3km on the flat in EV, but then the battery suddenly collapses from about 5 blue bars down to purple almost instantly. This is quite bad for the health of the battery, so I normally avoid even trying it. This (the sudden collapsing of SOC when driven in EV from full charge) is a sure sign of a battery in poor condition.

b100 likes this.